Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why the hate for ARE?

Malcomb Kelly

Serious question.

Is it because he is paid more than he's worth?

He has comparable numbers with other #2 receivers & is a versatile player... maybe not a good mix with Santana since they are both small, quick receivers.

I would agree that he isn't the best choice for a #2... (I'd rather see Thomas or Kelly there) but I don't get why the majority of people on here dog on him every chance they get.

I'm honestly just curious... no need to flame me.

It's a mix of being paid too much, not contributing on punt returns, not providing a consistent threat on offense, and the fact that he's known to be better in the slot. That's more of an indictment against Devin Thomas, though, since he hasn't wrestled that spot away from ARE yet.

It's a valid question and I don't think anyone is going to flame you for it.

It's a mix of being paid too much, not contributing on punt returns, not providing a consistent threat on offense, and the fact that he's known to be better in the slot. That's more of an indictment against Devin Thomas, though, since he hasn't wrestled that spot away from ARE yet.

I want to add to this, but I really can't. Perfectly sums up what I, and I'm guessing a lot of others, feel about ARE. Nobody hates him, but it's certainly not a dumb question.

To put it simply, he's failed to live up to expectations and isnt worth what he's getting paid.

He is very quietly consistent. He gets 2-4 catches a game for 20-60 yards. He rarely draws double teams and he rarely beats his man downfield. He is a terrible punt returner. His numbers will go up dramatically if JC has time to progress to his 2nd or 3rd reads because he is rarely the primary reciever.

That just about sums up ARE so far in Washington.

I don't mind him as the #2 receiver. Could be better, but a solid #2 WR is not a luxury that most teams have. For most other offenses, it's up to the rest of the team to make the #2 WR a viable threat.

But I have to agree... He really, really sucks at returning a punt. Watching the difference between him and Santana Moss or even James Thrash is like night and day.

He isn't a #2 WR. It is that simple. He can't do it well enough. He isn't a big man or a body player that will get those tough 1st downs like Art Monk or make the leaping catch in the endzone. He's a speed guy that isn't blazing fast and our #1 is already a speed guy so one doesn't exactly compliment the other. Mediocre hands, mediocre speed, mediocre size, mediocre strength, that is Antwaan Randle-El. As George Costanza once said, not showing off not falling behind- right in the meaty part of the curve.

He is very quietly consistent. He gets 2-4 catches a game for 20-60 yards. He rarely draws double teams and he rarely beats his man downfield. He is a terrible punt returner. His numbers will go up dramatically if JC has time to progress to his 2nd or 3rd reads because he is rarely the primary reciever.

That just about sums up ARE so far in Washington.

Well the punt returning is a mixed bag. He normally catches the punt and looks up to see 3 players coming at him full speed unblocked. Our punt return blocking has been rather crappy for as long as i can remember. Although then you see Moss have an oppurtunity and run it back for a TD. So i think its a combo of really poor blocking on punts and ARE having lost his ability to make people miss.

Its not his fault, we brought him in here as a luxury when our team wasn't what we thought it was.

He's just not a #2 WR, he's not a reliable first down target on 3rd downs. If we had a legit #2 starting opposite of Moss he'd be fantastic in the slot.

ARE gets a bad rap because he is expected to run every kick back for a TD, catch everything, and is getting paid highly for sub-par production. All of this is not entirely his fault. Poor blocking in the punt game doesn't allow him to go up the field like everyone seems to think. As for his catching ability he is a Slot receiver with some versatility that isn't utilized like it was in Pittsburg. So don't blame the entire blame on him because remember this is a team sport and he can't do it all by himself.

Its not his fault, we brought him in here as a luxury when our team wasn't what we thought it was.

He's just not a #2 WR, he's not a reliable first down target on 3rd downs. If we had a legit #2 starting opposite of Moss he'd be fantastic in the slot.

Very true he just dosen't have the height.

It's got to be his paycheck and the lousy punt returns. In my family, we still call my brother in law (steeler fan) to thank him every time Randel El makes a big play. We did it to such an extent in an otherwise awful 2006 that he bought my dad a Randel El jersey to replace his Arrrington before that season was over.

I think he would be a lot more popular if he wasn't just the 2nd best of two total receivers on the roster. In the mean time, people would rather cut him to force us to play someone else at #2 and #3 when in truth, if we had other targets at WR, he would be a lot more appreciated.

Archived