Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why the hate for ARE?

Malcomb Kelly

I don't think this is so much ARE's fault except for the punt returns. Both him and Santana are small. We need a big receiver, neither of them can really be blamed for red zone production, between the 20's they are good. We need that big receiver that our GM has failed to get us.

maybe its his insanely bloated contract and his lack of production int he #2 WR role? we all know he isnt one, but his pay is what irks me. that money could be spent somewhere else and for much better use.

I guess you could call his contract insanely bloated if you include all the bonus money he has had but the fact is that bonus money is gone whatever happens and it ain't coming back. Fact is this year his salary is $1.5M so not a huge amount to spend elsewhere.

Where are you going to find a better slot/#3 receiver than ARE for $1.5M?

ARE in my opinion is a very good slot receiver and a big threat on reverses and option passes. We need to hope that Devin Thomas can be productive, win the #2 role and allow ARE to move to the slot full time then because if that happens our receiving options look a whole lot better.

I don't think this is so much ARE's fault except for the punt returns. Both him and Santana are small. We need a big receiver, neither of them can really be blamed for red zone production, between the 20's they are good. We need that big receiver that our GM has failed to get us.

Our GM got us 3 of them last year in the 2nd round. It remains to be seen if any of the ones he got can be really productive - a lot of bets ride on one of Thomas or Kelly winning the #2 role and all 3 having big roles in the red zone.

Our GM got us 3 of them last year in the 2nd round. It remains to be seen if any of the ones he got can be really productive - a lot of bets ride on one of Thomas or Kelly winning the #2 role and all 3 having big roles in the red zone.

For sure, gotta give WR's time. It's just he drafted them after we had a need for awhile.

I agree that ARE's lack of production on punt returns is the most vexing. Is it fair to argue that ARE is the late-2000s version of Deion here? Deion had the big contract for the year he was here (still can't figure out why the Skins didn't put a "no baseball" clause in there), was OK in his corner position (although a shell of what he was in his prime), but didn't do much in the ST department, save for the almost TD against Tampa in OT. Of course, Deion also displaced two guys who were at the time fan favorites (Darrell and B-Mitch).

Dont hate him, just on Punt returns. He is a consistent chain mover and is under utilized. Whenever he throws the ball 80% of the time good things happen. Other 20 percent nothing happens. He doesnt throw picks or fumbles the ball. Hes reliable and does not deserve a ton of heat. He is a leader and represents the Redskins well.

Overpaid? Well I dont think that should be our concern. I enjoy watching Randle El's enthusiasm on the field.

They should let him run back a kick off and we will see if he runs straight ahead.

Being a crappy punt returner who couldn't run straight if he were on a treadmill doesn't help.

Dont put all the blame on ARE for his bad punt returns....blame Zorn and Danny Smith...ARE should not be returning punts anymore...anyone can see that

For sure, gotta give WR's time. It's just he drafted them after we had a need for awhile.

Yep - we have been searching for that big target since Art Monk left.

Its not like we have not spent draft picks in the search though - Michael Westbrook and Rod Gardner were high 1st round picks in the 'big receiver' mold and while both had flashes neither were long term producers.

Again fingers crossed Devin Thomas and/or Malcolm Kelly can step up and fill that role.

Dont hate him, just on Punt returns. He is a consistent chain mover and is under utilized. Whenever he throws the ball 80% of the time good things happen. Other 20 percent nothing happens. He doesnt throw picks or fumbles the ball. Hes reliable and does not deserve a ton of heat. He is a leader and represents the Redskins well.
Let's save a roster position and make him the 3rd string QB. :D

I don't hate him. In fact, if we ever find a true #2 WR (or a true #1 forcing Moss into the #2 role), I think ARE will be a great cog in this offense. He's just not quite good enough to be the #2 in my opinion.

As a locker room guy and someone to cheer for, I really like him. I just would prefer that he play the slot (#3) or line up as a gimmick player because we have 2-3 WRs who are much better than he is.

I don't hate him. In fact, if we ever find a true #2 WR (or a true #1 forcing Moss into the #2 role), I think ARE will be a great cog in this offense. He's just not quite good enough to be the #2 in my opinion.

As a locker room guy and someone to cheer for, I really like him. I just would prefer that he play the slot (#3) or line up as a gimmick player because we have 2-3 WRs who are much better than he is.

Best Summary in this thread yet. :applause:

Besides the 3 trick plays a season he does, he really doesn't do much. His catches break down to 3.25 a game. That isn't much and rules out the "chain mover" theory. Even when he does get the ball he just jumps around before falling down or getting tackled. His put return are horrible. Blocking or not, there are holes for him to go up field with, he can't outrun anyone side to side. He needs to take a look at the film of Mike Nelms. No fair catching, and run forward.. The money his contract eats up and will eat up in a few years would be better spent elsewhere.

I agree. he is a great guy, and i would think the players like him

he has a very positive attitude. Cant hate that.....he's just not a good punt returner

In the last 5 years, all of our WRs have generally underachieved. Moss is amazing in select games but his flashes of greatness while still somehow being less than he could points me to other problems with the offense. There has not been a consistent offensive scheme from season to season and all of our players suffer from it to a degree. ARE is no different. It's just that his roof is lower than Santana's.

The punt returns are irksome.

ARE is overpaid. Its really not his fault, its the organizations. He was brought here to shore up the receiving corp along with B. Lloyd. ARE is getting paid #2 money, but is no better than a number 3. His punt return ability is non-existant.

I don't hate him, I am just not happy that he is our best #2 option at this point. Hopefully Thomas and Kelly can step up and ARE can be dumped next year.

it's a combination of being overpaid (which makes him hard to release), being ineffective on punt returns, and not being a solid threat. i think the only reason he gets the stats he does get is because defenses don't pay him much attention.

that said, it's hard to hate someone who seems like such a good guy. hopefully someone steps into that #2 spot and ARE can thrive the way he did in pitt.

I'm with the OP on this one ... while I agree we over paid for what we've gotten in return as far as punt returns go ... he has produced more so than any other offensive players (except CP, Cooley and Moss) ... while playing out of position the whole time.

He's a good player, he knows the play book and has chemistry with this team, and when he can slide into the slot and we have a legit #2 out on the wing, we will get what we paid for with ARE.

As far as I'm concerned he's the least of our worries and we have bigger fish to fry, but that's just me. Hail.

Archived