Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why the hate for ARE?

Malcomb Kelly

I

I still don't know why we didn't give Devin Thomas the chance to return punts. :whoknows:

I'm pretty sure DT was strictly a kickoff returner in college. I'm not sure he has any experience returning punts.

Plus, when's the last time you saw an elite punt returner with the build of DT? You have to be more shifty as a punt returner, something Thomas's build probably won't allow him to do that well.

In addition, he hasn't done much as a WR since he came here. Honestly, I can't think of one memorable catch he's had in a game.

He made that one over the shoulder TD catch vs Philly....but I only know that because they show it every night on the Redskins Nation intro...LOL

he runs East West when returning punts, you need a guy running North South.

He gets paid like a top WR and he is no where close to that. The justification for paying him so much was that he can return punts, but now since he cant produce at the same level he did in Pittsburgh, he is just overpaid.

I dont hate they guy, I just wish he would either be a WR or a return man, because he obviously can't do both.

Being a crappy punt returner who couldn't run straight if he were on a treadmill doesn't help.

You need to understand something: A.R.E. is just an employee doing his best. He can't help it that the Redskins overpaid. He can't help it if he is not Dieon Sanders on Punt returns. And he cannot help it that he is not Jerry Rice.

He is what he is. He is a decent slot receiver good for 50-60 catches per season. He is a good gimmick play guy who can throw a halfback or receiver option play pass. And he is not good at all on punt returns.

Not his fault that Snyder paid 5 billion dollars for a player like that. Not his fault that Gibbs OR Zorn wants him to return punt returns. He is just a guy trying to earn a living, and I don't know about you, but if Snyder offered ME a buttload of money to return punts or throw gimmick passes, then I would take it. Although I would be criticized by you for not being any good at it. Still, its not his fault. He is what he is. Campbell is the same.

Look to the coaches and owner if you don't like what you see, but players are only born with their ability and not the ability you want them to have.

You need to understand something: A.R.E. is just an employee doing his best. He can't help it that the Redskins overpaid. He can't help it if he is not Dieon Sanders on Punt returns. And he cannot help it that he is not Jerry Rice.

He is what he is. He is a decent slot receiver good for 50-60 catches per season. He is a good gimmick play guy who can throw a halfback or receiver option play pass. And he is not good at all on punt returns.

Not his fault that Snyder paid 5 billion dollars for a player like that. Not his fault that Gibbs OR Zorn wants him to return punt returns. He is just a guy trying to earn a living, and I don't know about you, but if Snyder offered ME a buttload of money to return punts or throw gimmick passes, then I would take it. Although I would be criticized by you for not being any good at it. Still, its not his fault. He is what he is. Campbell is the same.

Look to the coaches and owner if you don't like what you see, but players are only born with their ability and not the ability you want them to have.

i agree to a point.... but to me, if you are gonna be put in a position to return punts, DO IT WELL. he has not done that. one of the main reasons he got that contract was because of his return abilities. now he just dances in a 5 yard radius before being brought down.

while some people hate on ARE too much, i think some people defend him too much.

i just dont understand how he got so bad at punt returns. he was good at it in pittsburgh, he had 4 TDs in the 4 years he was doing it. he was putting up better yards and not a ton of fair catches. he had 21 fair catches last season, his most in pittsburgh in a season was 13, which means he was returning 8-10 more punts in a season when he was there.

maybe he doesnt wanna get hurt so he returns like a pansy and he was giving it his all in pitt? who knows, but hes a dreadful punt returner now. dont get me started on why moss isnt returning punts. if steve smith can do it, moss surely can.

In addition, he hasn't done much as a WR since he came here. Honestly, I can't think of one memorable catch he's had in a game.

you must not think hard then...

memorable catch. first game of the season against miami. last play of regulation. JC chunks the ball downfield. ARE snags the ball and spins to the sideline then gets pushed out of bounds at the two. we go to OT.

had he spun back to the middle of the field, it would have been a TD with a win in regulation. but i dont hold that against him, his back was to the goal line so he didnt know there was a huge hole to the middle.

but still, its a memorable catch from a season opener. had he gone to the middle of the field and scored the game winner, i doubt you would have made the statement in the first place.

but ill play your game, name me a memorable wes welker catch. he moves the chains, he converts 3rd downs. but he doesnt put up big highlight reel plays. does that mean the pats fans hate welker cuz hes not randy moss?

you must not think hard then...

memorable catch. first game of the season against miami. last play of regulation. JC chunks the ball downfield. ARE snags the ball and spins to the sideline then gets pushed out of bounds at the two. we go to OT.

had he spun back to the middle of the field, it would have been a TD with a win in regulation. but i dont hold that against him, his back was to the goal line so he didnt know there was a huge hole to the middle.

but still, its a memorable catch from a season opener. had he gone to the middle of the field and scored the game winner, i doubt you would have made the statement in the first place.

but ill play your game, name me a memorable wes welker catch. he moves the chains, he converts 3rd downs. but he doesnt put up big highlight reel plays. does that mean the pats fans hate welker cuz hes not randy moss?

thats seriously what youre using as a memorable catch? that had absolutely 0 outcome on the game and was a total fluke/luck play. and he didnt score, so get all the "if he had just...." out of there.

i actually cant think of any game winners hes had. his punt return against indy in 06 was awesome until we got shanked in the 2nd half. his TD catch on 4th down against baltimore last year was pretty sweet. he makes some nice catches here and there, but hardly any of it is memorable and rarely impacts the final results.

and keep up with the league man, wes welker had more yards and catches than randy moss last year. welker may be the slot guy, but hes one of the most productive overall receivers in the entire league.

i agree to a point.... but to me, if you are gonna be put in a position to return punts, DO IT WELL. he has not done that. one of the main reasons he got that contract was because of his return abilities. now he just dances in a 5 yard radius before being brought down.

while some people hate on ARE too much, i think some people defend him too much.

Once again, talk to the coaches about that. If they want him to make more fair catches, you and I will not know about it. If the coaches don't like what you and I are seeing, then they can change it.

A.R.E. has only the ability he has. And it doesn't include returning punts very well. You have to live with that.

Once again, talk to the coaches about that. If they want him to make more fair catches, you and I will not know about it. If the coaches don't like what you and I are seeing, then they can change it.

A.R.E. has only the ability he has. And it doesn't include returning punts very well. You have to live with that.

he is top 3 (?) all-time in TDs, but only has one since he's been here. and its not a matter of fair catching it, it's a matter of not making forward progress. and ANY player can drive themself to improve aspects of their game.

but he used to be good at it in pittsburgh so what changed? why is he so awful at it now?

but he used to be good at it in pittsburgh so what changed? why is he so awful at it now?
The Steelers are well known for letting older talent that wants to "get paid" go when the Steelers know they can fill their shoes with other players. Maybe the Steelers knew something we didn't?

Considering our respective records, stats, owners, and coaches over the last decade, I'd say this is VERY true.

Because In Pittsburg El didn't have as much responsabelity. Holding down the #2 WR spot along with returning punt is probably a bit much for El. If our 2nd year WR can some how take his spot and EL step in to his natural position in the slot, would help EL concentrate at returning.same reason on why D Hesters return numbers have droped...

I honestly don't care about the amount a player makes. Those decisions are up to the FO.

All that I care about is ON FIELD PRODUCTION.

We really can't complain about ARE as the #3 slot WR. He's awesome and came thru for us alot last year.

Bottom line: I'm happy to have ARE. He's reliable.

I'm sure we're looking into other options at PR. But so what.. ARE is a great #3 WR. How much he makes doesn't matter to me.

Because In Pittsburg El didn't have as much responsabelity. Holding down the #2 WR spot along with returning punt is probably a bit much for El. If our 2nd year WR can some how take his spot and EL step in to his natural position in the slot, would help EL concentrate at returning.same reason on why D Hesters return numbers have droped...

It really shouldnt matter. Most return men have other responsibilities on the field. Steve Smith is the number 1 guy, and returns punts.

It almost always seems that El runs sideways before he runs straight ahead on punt returns. I think he tries too hard and too often risks giving up a sure 5 or 10 yards, hoping to break a bigger one.

There's also the possibility our punt return blocking isn't all that great. It's not something I normally pay attention to during a game, but it's gotta be a part of it.

Serious question.

Is it because he is paid more than he's worth?

He has comparable numbers with other #2 receivers & is a versatile player... maybe not a good mix with Santana since they are both small, quick receivers.

I would agree that he isn't the best choice for a #2... (I'd rather see Thomas or Kelly there) but I don't get why the majority of people on here dog on him every chance they get.

I'm honestly just curious... no need to flame me.

Well heres my serious answer. Lack of production. He gets the ball in his hands and barley does anything with it anymore. He's had some really good plays like against the Texans, some throwing TD's, Miami, but he's the reason our field position is generally ****ty and a lame excuse for a #2 receiver.

To all those who quoted me earlier in the thread, I don't have a personal vendetta against the guy. I know he's trying. But that doesn't mean I'm satisfied with the outcome. And I agree, they shouldn't have kept him in at PR for as long as they did,

It really shouldnt matter. Most return men have other responsibilities on the field. Steve Smith is the number 1 guy, and returns punts.

Remember the last time Santana had the ball on special teams?

6 points, as I recall. :)

Archived