Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

First- time fathers... (updated) Day-Care Experiences

WhoRUSupposed2Be

Oh, there is another thing to deal with when a first-time parent...letting your child cry itself to sleep lol. Man, that was HARD :(...Every single fiber in your body tells you to go in there, pick up your infant, and hold him/her and let them know you're there, it's ok, they don't have to cry anymore...but you tell yourself not to, that they have to learn to "comfort" themselves and get used to sleeping through the night. That was one difficult transition to make...

Oh, there is another thing to deal with when a first-time parent...letting your child cry itself to sleep lol. Man, that was HARD :(...Every single fiber in your body tells you to go in there, pick up your infant, and hold him/her and let them know you're there, it's ok, they don't have to cry anymore...but you tell yourself not to, that they have to learn to "comfort" themselves and get used to sleeping through the night. That was one difficult transition to make...

My wife and i got REALLY lucky. Our baby (born in sept) has been sleeping straight thru the night since about 6 weeks old. I can count on one hand how many times she's gotten up in the middle of the night.

Also, the day she was born, was the same day we beat dallas this past season :).

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=261771

My wife and i got REALLY lucky. Our baby (born in sept) has been sleeping straight thru the night since about 6 weeks old. I can count on one hand how many times she's gotten up in the middle of the night.

Same here...I still can't believe that we got that lucky as well.

My wife is pregnant with our first and she said she's already facing a constant barrage of unsolicited advice. And not just advice, but horror stories from pregnancy and birthing. I mean really, who decides it's a good idea to scale the crap out of pregnant women?

Tell me about it...my prego wife has heard countless ppl say thing like "oh yout 32 weeks? That is when I lost my 2nd baby" WHO THE HELL SAYS THAT TO A PREGNANT WOMAN!:doh:

We've had a few threads about the change in the mother after the child is born.

You have no idea what a hormonal mess they become.

This was the biggest hurdle by far for my wife and I. She had a c-section delivery with some recovery setbacks which did not help. I just kept her focused on getting herself better, and not so upset that I was doing all the baby work.

Besides that... take insane amounts of pictures and keep a journal.

This is very true. I still have a hard time doing it and my boy is 18 months old. But they will fall asleep and it doesn't make you an a-hole or an unfit parent or anything like that. Enjoy your time with them too.

No one mentioned "no sex for 6 months"? Or that if they're breastfeeding, you'll never look at "those" the same way again. Learning to change a diaper with your eyes closed. Quickly changing a boy's diaper so you don't get hosed. PMS x 100.

But...maybe the best thing...enjoy every moment you can because their rate of change, especially the first year, is so rapid that if you blink you'll skip a stage. And, second best, seeing the transformation in mom and how the baby really bonds to her over the first 6 months. To me, that was pretty cool.

Good luck! Best experience in your life, IMO.

The initial fear and being relegated to second place(now third;)) was a big change.

Lots a good advice here,I'll just add try to relax do your best and enjoy it as much as possible,each one is different and before ya know it they will be grown.

.....another thing to deal with when a first-time parent...letting your child cry itself to sleep......

Best advice on here.

Also, require them to bleed burgundy and gold. None of that "I let my child pick for himself" crap. Make it mandatory.

Having had our first child just 4 months ago... I can easily say the following:

The lack of sleep will be the first thing you noticed as the biggest change to your lifestyle.

You will also see significantly less "me" time. You will learn to love the new "family" time equally as much if not more...

You and your wife will feel overwhelmed at times, but just try to be patient.

All that said... Your child's first smile will make you forget about the three items above.

Enjoy and Congratulations. :D

Don't let your infant cry itself to sleep.

Keeping your marriage together. Kids have a way of stealing every little bit of time, and people get antsy. An astounding number of marriages end when the kids are young due to the strain they place on a relationship. It's often not something anticipated or planned for when preparing for a child.

~Bang

This is probably some of the best advice here. The parenting part for a father will happen...don't worry in time the skills will be there!

The marriage is the piece that can fall. As the father keeping the family together is your #1 priority!

No one mentioned "no sex for 6 months"? Or that if they're breastfeeding, you'll never look at "those" the same way again. Learning to change a diaper with your eyes closed. Quickly changing a boy's diaper so you don't get hosed. PMS x 100.

But...maybe the best thing...enjoy every moment you can because their rate of change, especially the first year, is so rapid that if you blink you'll skip a stage. And, second best, seeing the transformation in mom and how the baby really bonds to her over the first 6 months. To me, that was pretty cool.

Good luck! Best experience in your life, IMO.

No sex for 6 months? How about no sex for the ENTIRE pregnancy for me. My wife had two 2nd trimester miscarriages before finally getting pregnant early this year. She had a vaginal cerclage done after the 1st miscarriage, but that still didn't work so she when into pre term labor and lost the 2nd baby.

This time she had a transabdominal cerclage (TAC) placed in March, in which the doctor puts a permanent band around the top of the cervix, so the cervix doesn't open. patients have a 95% change of going full term with this TAC procedure. My wife also is taking shots of progersterone once a week up until week 37 to slow pre term labor. Sh ewill have to have a C Section done. So our journey has been pretty emotional.

I guess my attitude is just to enjoy the journey. I go to every appointment, read as much as I can, and feel all of my baby's movements. It has been a hell of a ride.

I figure if I am half the parent my dad was, I will be a pretty good dad.

Our little girl is due on September 21st.

Solid thread!

My girl is due November 22nd with our first (her second). I am balls to the wall excited! I am already factoring in the less 'me time' and the lack of sleep as major 'issues' for me. I am generally a laid-back, keep to myself kind of guy, so the lack of 'me time' is not really much of a hurdle.

Patience is probably the most sound advice to receive. Right up there with not forgetting that you also have to make time for you and your lady. I think both are crucial to keeping yourself sane. lol

Worrying too much.

Just love your child as much as you can, you'll be fine. And congrats :applause:

Sounds like me, I couldn't sleep an hour without getting out of bed to make sure my first was breathing. Even with the full set up (live video feed / monitor) I couldn't not walk into the room. It took me eight months to get use to having a third person in our house that was fully dependant on me and my wife.

Enjoy it.

Don't let your infant cry itself to sleep.

Second this, every book out there pretty much says the same thing. Crying is the only way a infant can communicate with you. While I agree with letting a baby cry itself to sleep when the time is right, that usually isn't for several months, read up on it before actually doing it.

One thing a friend of mine told me was,

I am not sure if anyone else has said this or not, but keep an eye on your wife/girlfriend. Her body is going through tons of changes right now and she will be extremely sensative and her emotions will at times change drastically. Keep your cool and be patient with her, it takes them a while to get back to normal.

Archived