Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just Got back from Magic/Lakers game: MY THOUGHTS

H-O-G

It was sorta classless to lay that up, sure. But you don't do what Pietrus did, either. The way you solve that, is the first time Gasol goes up for a layup in Game 5 you clock him. HARD. And you might even want to bring in a scrub like Gortat to be the enforcer. That way if he should get ejected, no big deal.

They're all getting ejected at the end of game 5. 14-30 3rd quarter after being up by 12 at the half at home. Talk about choking. At least they are the greatest shooting team in finals history to win 1 finals game.

Lakers will put their collective foot on the Magic's throat and apply pressure throughout game 5. This series is over. The eggs are cooling, the Jell-o is jiggling and the butter is getting hard.

The whole game was ref'd horribly. Ticky tack fouls all game against the lakers and nothing called against the magic almost all game unless it was someone in the popcorn machine via Kobe's fakes. The elbow at the end was just the cap of a horrific game for the zebras.

This was the Magic's game to lose and they choked.

And H-O-G, Pietrus is garbage. Gasol had every right to pop him in the mouth considering how badly he was mauled all game underneath.

Kobe was fouled at least 8 times when it wasn't called. The Magic were handed the game yet they choked. Howard is the NBA version of Romo sits to pee.

Why, because you saw him drive the lane and someone touched the outside of his jersey? They let em play. Throwing elbows isn't "letting em play", it's not bothering to make the necessary call. Not saying Howard doesn't do it but in that situation, when it's right in front of you, you gotta call that.

That was a blatant offensive foul and I lost respect for Kobe watching that game. It's to the point where the only star I like in this league is Dwyane Wade.

Everyone is jealous of the greatest basketball city in history. Sour grapes is spot on.

??

First off, NYC has the most famous basketball arena in the world and the Forum was never #1 or #2. Boston has won more rings than LA and the Boston Garden again is more famous. So at most I could put LA at #3.

I don't know how anyone can get mad at Gasol on that last play. The game was actually still, potentially, on the line. Pietrus made a frustration foul that could have ended badly for Gasol, basically punching him in the lower back and not trying to make a play on the ball. If the Lakers were smart they'd ask the league to review it so he can get a technical foul. If this were the regular season he'd get a one game ban for that same play. Either way, series is OVAH!

After watching the first 4 games, here's my biggest question:

Has there ever been a First Team all NBA center who is a bigger offensive liability than Dwight Howard?

I love the guy and he's a monster defensively, but all of his scoring comes from put backs and dunks. They're trying to feed him on the low post against a guy like Gasol who he should be able to overpower given the position he's catching the ball at. However, EVERY TIME he catches the ball he puts it on the floor and either makes his shot harder, makes himself open to strips, or easy to foul. I'm no NBA player, but I know the first thing they tought "big men" in rec league basketball was to keep the ball high. Howard ALWAYS negates whatever size advantage he has and it leads to turnovers, bad shots, or foul shots. And it would be one thing if he were a great free throw shooter, but we know about his troubles there. Watching him catch the ball on the block reminds me of watching a 12th center man who comes into a blowout and stumbles into a basket or two, but they never look easy and you're always surprised when they can make a shot from a post up.

The guy is young and will be a great player without a doubt, but I think right now the Magic do themselves a disservice by trying to run plays through him sometimes.

After watching the first 4 games, here's my biggest question:

Has there ever been a First Team all NBA center who is a bigger offensive liability than Dwight Howard?

I love the guy and he's a monster defensively, but all of his scoring comes from put backs and dunks. They're trying to feed him on the low post against a guy like Gasol who he should be able to overpower given the position he's catching the ball at. However, EVERY TIME he catches the ball he puts it on the floor and either makes his shot harder, makes himself open to strips, or easy to foul. I'm no NBA player, but I know the first thing they tought "big men" in rec league basketball was to keep the ball high. Howard ALWAYS negates whatever size advantage he has and it leads to turnovers, bad shots, or foul shots. And it would be one thing if he were a great free throw shooter, but we know about his troubles there. Watching him catch the ball on the block reminds me of watching a 12th center man who comes into a blowout and stumbles into a basket or two, but they never look easy and you're always surprised when they can make a shot from a post up.

The guy is young and will be a great player without a doubt, but I think right now the Magic do themselves a disservice by trying to run plays through him sometimes.

thats why i like Gasol's game so much. he's never had half of Dwight's athleticism, but he has damn near every move a big man can have. Gasol is a prime example of holding the ball high in traffic, it rarely drops below his shoulders if he catches deep in the post

i don't think Gasol is soft, but he could definitely stand to be a bit more physical, but offensively he has every move a big man should have, and a couple more

Ok....Wow..first off the Magic were given every chance to win this game.

Stan Van Gundy, Why didn't you play Rafer Alston AT ALL in the fourth?

Seriously though, I don't understand why Nelson was playing all of those minutes. Alston just came off a great game, and one of the advantages that the Magic have is their deeper bench.

Also, do the Magic ever practice in-bounds plays? Every time they got the ball out of bounds, it took almost 5 seconds to get the ball in, and then it was only to some guy running away from the basket on the perimeter who was immediately trapped. They had like five different attempts at this and only got off ridiculous jump shots. If SVG had drawn up one real play coming out of a time-out, the Magic would have won this game.

I haven't read the whole thread but the complaining about a no call on Kobe's elbow to Nelson is way out of touch. It's not a foul when you run up and stick your face into another players chest and happen to catch someone's elbow. Kobe was already turning his body to survey the court, it wasn't intentional and he's certainly entitled to his space.

thats why i like Gasol's game so much. he's never had half of Dwight's athleticism, but he has damn near every move a big man can have. Gasol is a prime example of holding the ball high in traffic, it rarely drops below his shoulders if he catches deep in the post

i don't think Gasol is soft, but he could definitely stand to be a bit more physical, but offensively he has every move a big man should have, and a couple more

Yeah, Gasol is light years ahead of Howard offensively. He has a great drop step, shoots with either hand, and has a great jump shot. Howard has been in the league long enough now that he should have a go-to move offensively. He's playing like Shaq, only there's only one player strong enough to ever play like that: Shaq himself.

I haven't read the whole thread but the complaining about a no call on Kobe's elbow to Nelson is way out of touch. It's not a foul when you run up and stick your face into another players chest and happen to catch someone's elbow. Kobe was already turning his body to survey the court, it wasn't intentional and he's certainly entitled to his space.

If Nelson established position, it was his space. Kobe hitting him with an elbow would be an offensive foul. It doesn't matter if he was already in the act of moving, if Nelson was there with his feet set than Kobe has to adjust. But then again, it NEVER gets called that way.

Yeah, Gasol is light years ahead of Howard offensively. He has a great drop step, shoots with either hand, and has a great jump shot. Howard has been in the league long enough now that he should have a go-to move offensively. He's playing like Shaq, only there's only one player strong enough to ever play like that: Shaq himself.

Howard has been in the league for a while, but remember, he came right from High school. Thats the problem with the whole prep-to-pro thing with big men, none of them learned how to play basketball.

Ok....Wow..first off the Magic were given every chance to win this game.

Stan Van Gundy, Why didn't you play Rafer Alston AT ALL in the fourth?

Refs, When Kobe Bryant elbowed Nelson to the floor leaving fisher open, why wasnt there a call? We all KNOW if Howard elbowed someone in the face the whistles would have been blown.

Dwight, its disappointing you missed those two free throws towards the end, but I don't expect you to make those all the time.

Turk, you should have made those two free throws.

Another thing I observed watching the game live....Kobe is actually a very dirty player, throwing elbows and pushing guys down low so he can swing out to get open for a shot...

Paul Gosal your so garbage its hilarious.

Where to begin . . .

For starters - you are right, the Magic were given every chance to win this game. The Lakers did not shoot a Free Throw in the entire 4th Quarter and not until under a minute in OT. That is over 16 minutes of an NBA FINALS game where the Lakers couldn't get a call. Really? NBA consistently proves that they are fixed.

Stan Van has consistently proved that he is a very poor coach. I wouldn't consider him as bad as Brown in Cleveland . . . but he is close. The decision to play Nelson that long down the stretch was unbelievable. I am a Lakers fan and was sitting there thinking that this is just crazy (and downright lucky).

Did you ever watch basketball during the days of Jordan and company? Dirty play was just basketball back then. Hell . . . you couldn't get a free shot unless you pushed off and swung elbows.

Lastly - Pau Gasol garbage? You know nothing about basketball. The guy is arguably the most talented big man in the game when it comes to the offensive side. He has the best hands in the business. His array of moves and natural skill is mind-blowing for a guy that big. Call him a bit soft (which I would argue that he has ditched that label from last year) . . . but garbage? There is no way in hell the Lakers would be one game away from another Championship if Gasol wasn't on the team.

Kobe was fouled at least 8 times when it wasn't called. The Magic were handed the game yet they choked. Howard is the NBA version of Romo sits to pee.

Exactly. 0 free throws. ZERO. In the 4th quarter alone, Kobe got fouled almost every time he drove to the basket . . . and yet when Pietrus gets that layup to tie the game, they call a ticky-tack foul on Bryant to get them the 1 point lead. What a joke.

Dude Kobe is given this royal treatment that if hes touched while shooting its a foul....

Mad respect to Fisher for making his shots and not being an ass about it.

The whole stadium couldnt believe the no call when kobe threw nelson to the floor with a elbow leaving fisher open for the 3.

If he is given the royal treatment (ala Lebron . . . hence the nickname King), then how do you explain ZERO free throws?

About the elbow . . . you have to realize that every since you are a kid, you are taught to swing your elbows on clearouts and in protecting the ball because it deters people from coming in your space. He did what he was supposed to do. Plus, it definitely wasn't intentional. He was swinging his elbow into the motion when Jameer's chin got there. It was a hard knock . . . but an incidental one.

every elite 2 guard who has ever played the game does the same kobe does to get open.

and if you think Gasol is garbage your opinion on anything basketball related is irrelevant

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself. EVERY elite 2 gaurd makes space.

i can see you're a magic fan, so i understand the pouting, but to say Paul is garbage. That's just laughable. Lakers would not be here in the finals if he's not here to play along kobe. The man just creates too many mismatches.

And for the whole "kobe is a dirty player"..who isnt? you either push, or be pushed..you decide.

BTW.. GOOOO LAKERSSSSSS;)

Talk abou dirty play - Pietrus? That was a clear cheap shot when he brought two fists down on Gasol's back at the end of the game. That's dirty.

nba refs suck, we definitely agree there

horribly inconsistent game from the refs. bad calls at both ends of the court

These playoffs have been the worst officiating I have ever seen. Extremely inconsistent with every call in basketball.

Bandwagon laker fans make me laugh. The only reason people not from Cali like them is because they have a legendary history, and people always flock to winners. Just like Cowboy fans huh?

A lot of you are no better than most cowboy fans... Sad,

I have been a Lakers fan since I was like 3 man . . . I am definitely not bandwagon. The Lakers are the only non D.C. American sport (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, etc.) team that I support. And to compare me to a cowboy fan is ridiculous. I can prove to you that I am not a bandwagon fan by actually giving you the stats and stuff from both wins and LOSSES. From the good seasons and the BAD. I know more about this team than a bandwagon fan would. Sounds to me that you are just whining and looking for something.

Exactly. He was making the move before he even saw Nelson. Plus, like you rightly said - he is entitled to his own space.

This is pretty much how Dr. Jack Ramsay explained it after the game, too. That play is a no call.

Archived