Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best singer/band of the '80's

Burgold

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

anyone remember the Battle of the Bands thing that we were starting to do before Michael_33 (I think that's who it was that was doing it) got NNT'd? We should try and do it in that kind of format again where you produce a sample of music and pit bands against each other.

people arent thinking about michael jackson from the 80s...

dont think about crazy white mike with no nose....think about billie jean and thriller mike when dude was bigger then the pope.

agreed. Michael Jackson should probably be winning this. He had to be one of, if not the biggest celebrity back then. Easily.

My favorite is not on your list. It's someone who's had 17 Top 40 hits and 5 Top 10 hits (including one that reached #1 and became an all-time classic song), has been nominated for three Grammy Awards and won one, won an American Music Award, has sold more than 20 million records, and in July 2008 had a CD debut at #28 on the Billboard chart. Since we're talking about the '80s, I'll mention that he had 3 albums reach platinum 1981-1983, and 2 of them went multi-platinum. It is someone who is best known for his power pop rock sound, but he also has created edgier music that has been widely acclaimed, as well as music with a Beatles feel to these songs. This multifaceted, tremendously accomplished singer is Rick Springfield, and I nominate him as Best Singer/Band of the 1980s.

One and the same, BigMike. I bet you never knew he was such an accomplished musician, eh? Actually, I've played his hard rock CD for some fans of that style of music, and they praised it up and down and were astonished when they found out the artist. He had bad handlers when he first started his career. Being advised to do so many teen magazines and the soap opera tarnished his image as a musician, but he still has had a very successful music career. Note I said present tense because, like I said, less than a year ago he had a CD release reach 28 on the Billboard chart.

I looked in the 80's poll and the 70's poll. I did not see Journey in either one. A best singer/band poll without Steve Perry/ Journey?

As far as I was concerned, there was only one reason for a man to own a Journey tape back in the day,, and it was because it could get panties off of swoony girls. that's it.

I know Neil Schon has talent, yadda yadda yadda. No balls in that band.

I mean, really. How can anyone watch this and not laugh?

~Bang

I wish I can take back my vote for Run DMC, I didn't see Beastie Boys :doh:

Are you kidding me? Run-DMC should be ahead of the Beastie Boys. Everything the Beastie Boys do (pass the mic style) is based off of Run-DMC.

Raising Hell > Licensed to Ill

Paul's Boutique is a great album though but so is Run-D.M.C.

Are you kidding me? Run-DMC should be ahead of the Beastie Boys. Everything the Beastie Boys do (pass the mic style) is based off of Run-DMC.

Raising Hell > Licensed to Ill

Paul's Boutique is a great album though but so is Run-D.M.C.

the B-boys were based off Run DMC?

thats news to me. They were a punk band before rappers. They played their own instruments and rapped about things like beer, girls and partying.

Just because they were from the same city doesnt mean they were copying because lots of people looked and sounded alike.

As far as I was concerned, there was only one reason for a man to own a Journey tape back in the day,, and it was because it could get panties off of swoony girls. that's it.

~Bang

You can't.

It reminds me of this other '80s video masterpiece:

http://www.80smusicvids.com/index.php?vid=Aldo_Nova_-_Fantasy&a=a

the B-boys were based off Run DMC?

thats news to me. They were a punk band before rappers. They played their own instruments and rapped about things like beer, girls and partying.

Just because they were from the same city doesnt mean they were copying because lots of people looked and sounded alike.

When they switched to rap, their pass the mic style was pretty much copped off Run-DMC. That's all I'm saying. I mean don't get me wrong, I got me a copy of Licensed To Ill and Paul's Boutique. And it's not a knock on them either.

When they switched to rap, their pass the mic style was pretty much copped off Run-DMC. That's all I'm saying. I mean don't get me wrong, I got me a copy of Licensed To Ill and Paul's Boutique. And it's not a knock on them either.

I know you arent bro, I just dont agree with the copying statement. I cant imagine anyone not liking those 2 CDs and I will even throw Check your head in the mix.

if you listen closely to License to Ill they have go-go on a couple of songs.

~Bang

Wrong! Separate Ways is not a good representation. Journey has some great music, like Wheel in the Sky. Steve Perry has a great voice.

Personally, I've never seen the hype with Bob Marley. I always yawn when his music plays. Maybe if I was completely stoned I could relate to it.

When I'm in the mood to listen to music with balls, I play old Metallica or something like that.

Archived