Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about light in the sky

pez

I was out having a smoke on the back deck, and I always enjoy looking up at the night sky. I noticed a light moving and just figured it was an airplane way up high.... but then it stopped... and then reversed direction. Then it went a little left... then a little right... then "forward" again. It moved around for about 5 min and then stopped. For the past 10 min it has just been "hanging" in the same spot.

Does anyone know what this could be? Are satellites maneuvered? It is way too high in the atmosphere for a helicoptor. It is a small light like a star or a plane that is way up high.

Most folks who know me, know I am a level headed guy... I am not imagining the movement, as I was using other stars as reference. I am just curious as what the hell it is, that can move around like this...

The National Weather Service in Sterling regularly launches large weather balloons, often in the evening.

They look pretty strange in the daylight hours, and maybe that's what you saw tonight, assuming they're lit up.

More info:

Dragging an instrument suspended from a parachute, the weather balloon will climb to 100,000 feet over 90 minutes, carried along by the jet stream. The instrument's sensors constantly send back readings on temperatures, relative humidity, wind speed and direction and air pressure.

The office's personnel launch two weather balloons a day, which provide minute-by-minute measurements used to issue short-, mid- and long-term forecasts over a seven-day period.

The weather information is used to fashion computer forecast models.

As the balloon rises, the pressure inside becomes greater than outside, swelling the balloon to the size of a Volkswagen Beetle before it pops and sends the weather instrument package floating back to earth.

inside2-xxxweather350.jpg

Just completed an astronomy class in college.

So no, satallites do not move like that, and you wouldnt be able to see them anyways.

And from what I read, it is hard to say what is was. Can you be more specific? Like, did it make sharp sudden movements when it went from left to right etc.?

Further, I'm waiting for someone to say "aliens". And I wouldnt count that out. Definetly possible considering the enormous size of the universe. Especially when you consider string theory and the possibility of multiple universe's. (What may be beyond our own universe) Considering how crazy it is that there are hundreds of billions of galaxies outside of our own (the milky way)

Here is an idea of just how small we are.

Just completed an astronomy class in college.

So no, satallites do not move like that, and you wouldnt be able to see them anyways.

Wrong on both accounts....

Your professor has been lying to you :)

Seriously though, you can certainly see satellites and they can be controlled.

It was either a sat. or weather balloon pez.

Wrong on both accounts....

Your professor has been lying to you :)

Seriously though, you can certainly see satellites and they can be controlled.

It was either a sat. or weather balloon pez.

Yeah, it just depends on the light. If the reflection of the light from the sun is pointing at you, you will see it. If not, you don't. Or something like that.

Archived