Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RR Blog: Colin Cowherd to Fred Davis - “You’re a Slacker”

bubba9497

http://riggosrag.com/2009/05/21/colin-cowherd-to-fred-davis-youre-a-slacker/

Click link for entire article

Colin Cowherd to Fred Davis - “You’re a Slacker”

In the Spring of 2008 there was a lot to like about Fred Davis. He had decent size for a Tight End, and was fast enough to line up occasionally as a Wide Out. The year before he had been awarded the John Mackie Award. Davis led USC’s receivers with 62 catches, 42 of which resulted in first downs. His yards-per-catch average was just over 14. At the 2008 Combine, Davis ran a 4.76 40-yard dash while weighing 255 lbs. He was also timed at 4.67. With long arms and the strength to have benched 225lbs 24 times, he was quite the athelete. Still, blocking was a shortcoming for him.

Despite his abilities, Fred Davis managed to underwhelm his teammates and the Redskins’ front office by oversleeping and missing a practice before his first training camp. Gary Fitzgerald briefly reminded Redskins.com readers of that fact today when he wrote about Davis’s progress as a player. Fitzgerald’s article was informative, but he did not turn my focus to Davis. Colin Cowherd of ESPN beat him to it.

I listen to Cowherd fairly regularly. We disagree on music (7 months in Seattle was enough for me) and personal ownership of guns. Otherwise, I tend to agree with him. He’s one of those cut and dried ‘what I think and say makes sense’ kind of guys. He’s very forthright, and is perfectly willing to justify his opinions. Willing to do so or not, he simply can’t justify the label he heaped on Fred Davis during this morning’s show. He doesn’t know the man or the player. If he did, he would not have lumped Davis in with a group of USC graduates whom he says have underachieved due to a poor work ethic. To be sure, Fred Davis has yet to reward the Redskins for drafting him 48th overall in last year’s draft. He only played in 11 games last season, and started just 2. And, he caught just 3 passes, averaging 9 yards. Davis has a lot to prove.

But, just as judging the value of a draft pick after one season is short-sighted, labeling a player based on one incident from a year ago is lazy and irresponsible. Fred Davis has grown up. Jim Zorn, given his quote in Fitzgerald’s article, certainly thinks so. As for Davis, he described himself in the article as hungry and as someone who can get on the field if he keeps working hard. He has a goal, he acknowledges hard work is the path to achieve it, and he’s working hard. It doesn’t sound to me like he has a work ethic issue.

My real problem with Cowherd’s characterization is that labels have a way of sticking. Sure, he didn’t invent the “Fred Davis has a work eithic issue” comment. He just regurgitated it a year later to make a point about USC. Regardless of his purpose, he’s wrong about Davis. So, here’s an idea Colin. (I can call you Colin, can’t I?) How about interviewing Fred Davis? Ask him about his work ethic, his progress, his goals, etc. I mean, you did effectively trash him to a national radio audience. You could always interview Jim Zorn and ask him about Davis. If you do, you might just learn that the label you applied to him so easily hasn’t fit him in many months. Display a little professional pride - talk to the man.

I've heard numerous reports of him being one of the harder/est workers on the team this offseason along with Thomas, so I'm really optimistic, especially since Zorn has said Davis is making it very difficult to keep him off the field in his interviews.

Does anyone have the link to the Fitzgerald interview? I'd like to read that one.

Cowherd is a windbag who forms strong opinions about things without bothering to know what the hell he's talking about. Case in point when he went on the rant after ST died and basically denigrated Sean's character and said he had it coming. Of course we all know the real situation there.

Ever since that incident I refuse to listen to Cowherd, I hope others have done the same.

Cowherd rarely knows or even cares what he is talking about has any actual basis in fact... his stated purpose is to rile the audience up to call him and make his show "interesting". Truth is not a real point, but merely relative to the ratings it generates for him.

I honestly don't see how people can listen to this blowhard. All he does is just spout a very poor version of Jim Rome's shtick-which I also can't stand for the record-merely to have people talk about him. It works because he says outlandish things to garner an emotional response from people and then tells them to get over it. The guy is a tool.

Just once I would love a Washington Redskin player to "PROVE IT" instead of hearing countless excuses from fan after fan. How about this if Fred Davis has a good year then he made a mistake as a rookie, and if he stinks up the joint again we have a problem. Who cares what any media pundits have to say, at the end of the day it's all up to Fred Davis and I don't care what he or Zorn have to say, "PROVE IT" already.

Cowherd just wanted his name on Extremeskins, you win this round, Cowherd.

Correct, I have never read anything that questions Davis' work ethic. Picking up the offense, developing his blocking, running precise routes, yes, work ethic NEVER.

I call BS on Cowherd.

So, here’s an idea Colin. (I can call you Colin, can’t I?) How about interviewing Fred Davis? Ask him about his work ethic, his progress, his goals, etc. I mean, you did effectively trash him to a national radio audience. You could always interview Jim Zorn and ask him about Davis.

Well now there's a novel concept. Don't see it happening though. That would mean Colin would actually have to work and stuff. Can't have that.

Cowherd is a windbag who forms strong opinions about things without bothering to know what the hell he's talking about. Case in point when he went on the rant after ST died and basically denigrated Sean's character and said he had it coming. Of course we all know the real situation there.

Ever since that incident I refuse to listen to Cowherd, I hope others have done the same.

Totally agree. I think the sad thing is that in today's world comments like those made by Cowturd about ST, actually make a guy's career instead of destroying it. I guess people really like "shock jocks."

hes a "shoot first, ask questions later" type. Not an intellectual, no strong basis of understanding of any sport that he follows. Just a loud guy who forms strong opinions on the fly without thinking or researching the matter.

I've never heard Cowherd on the radio, but he sounds a lot like Ben Mallor from the comments in this thread.

So, here’s an idea Colin. (I can call you Colin, can’t I?) How about interviewing Fred Davis? Ask him about his work ethic, his progress, his goals, etc. I mean, you did effectively trash him to a national radio audience. You could always interview Jim Zorn and ask him about Davis.

1st rule of ego maniac shock jocks.... never have anyone on your show who might disagree with you

Why do any of you listen to him???

He is just a hack and one trick pony. His 'method' is to try to rile up one group and then have them play against the other. He has no real knowledge and shouldn't be taken seriously.

This, plus his ratings are just Sugar Honey Iced Tea!!!!!

Archived