Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RR Blog: Colin Cowherd to Fred Davis - “You’re a Slacker”

bubba9497

Well, based on the oversleeping incident its easy to see why he is being called a slacker. Seems to me there was some doubt about his work ethic BEFORE he was drafted and then oversleeping more or less reinforced the idea.

So in this case I don't know that Fred Davis needs defending because he did absolutely nothing in his first season to contradict Cowherds rant and statements. Sure he is working hard, but what if he oversleeps again in 2 months. I think Davis has to not only have a good season, but has to continue to work hard next off season as well before he will lose the image that HE alone is responsible for.

Well, based on the oversleeping incident its easy to see why he is being called a slacker. Seems to me there was some doubt about his work ethic BEFORE he was drafted and then oversleeping more or less reinforced the idea.

1 mistake = slacker :doh:

come on you're a fairly intelligent poster.

So in this case I don't know that Fred Davis needs defending because he did absolutely nothing in his first season to contradict Cowherds rant and statements. Sure he is working hard, but what if he oversleeps again in 2 months. I think Davis has to not only have a good season, but has to continue to work hard next off season as well before he will lose the image that HE alone is responsible for.

he's received nothing but praise from the coaching staff since the incident, hard to make plays when your inactive.

1 mistake = slacker :doh:

come on you're a fairly intelligent poster.

he's received nothing but praise from the coaching staff since the incident, hard to make plays when your inactive.

Bubba..I didn't say Davis was a slacker and I didn't say that he wasn't working hard....although I have not witnessed it personally. What I did say is that if he wants to get rid of that label, he will have to be a success and will have to do it for MORE than one season. Thats all I said.

Don't get too excited or disturbed over something like this. A sportscaster made a statement. I made a statement. You made a statement....and NONE OF THESE THINGS WILL AFFECT WHAT GOES ON IN SEPTEMBER.

Many questions about many players will be answered this season--- and I think Fred Davis probably has the least to worry about.

Based on his stats from last season, [and this goes for Thomas too] there is no where to go but up. Fred will be stronger, faster, and smarter than last year... I am one of the people who has put the 'sleeping incident' out of my mind completely, and look forward to watching this guy progress into a serious offensive threat.

Many questions about many players will be answered this season--- and I think Fred Davis probably has the least to worry about.

Based on his stats from last season, [and this goes for Thomas too] there is no where to go but up. Fred will be stronger, faster, and smarter than last year... I am one of the people who has put the 'sleeping incident' out of my mind completely, and look forward to watching this guy progress into a serious offensive threat.

agreed. This guy has all the tools to become a very good player, hopefully he will be more involved next season.

Thank god I dont have a job where I oversleep one time and people are still taking about it almost a year later.

You wouldn't watch people play NFL football games for a couple Mil if people you will never meet say things on message boards that you will never read, like you are a lazy turd for sleeping through a practice a year ago?

I bet it's a rough job that Fred has there. :laugh:

It's out of my mind, and I love your positive outlook, but this IS the Redskins that we're talking about. Non-performance by rookies doesn't always translate to improvement the next year for us.

I'm holding my breath on our Round Two Trio.

I really hope he get a chance to play this year!!!

I think Davis showed his potential in the few sightings we had of him last year. With another year and full preseason he should really come on.

His problem is he is stuck on the depth chart behind one of the top 5 TEs in the NFL in Chris Cooley. Add to that Zorn is trying to get a 3 wide look much more with ARE in the slot on passing downs. Further add that Sellers is our best blocker on running downs and there are very limited opportunities to see both Cooley and Davis on the field at the same time.

I think his best chance of making a realy significant contribution is in the red zone. Teams focused on Chris Colley last year in that area knowing he was our only legit threat. Result CC only had 1 TD catch all year - and that on an option pass.

If we can get Fred Davis involved in the red zone offense on some 2 TE and jumbo sets he would see a lot of single coverage early on and give us some good matchups. Getting better production in the red zone (TDs not FG's) is a key to our improvement on offense this year. We left too many points on the field not getting it in inside the 20.

I think Davis showed his potential in the few sightings we had of him last year. With another year and full preseason he should really come on.

His problem is he is stuck on the depth chart behind one of the top 5 TEs in the NFL in Chris Cooley. Add to that Zorn is trying to get a 3 wide look much more with ARE in the slot on passing downs. Further add that Sellers is our best blocker on running downs and there are very limited opportunities to see both Cooley and Davis on the field at the same time.

I think his best chance of making a realy significant contribution is in the red zone. Teams focused on Chris Colley last year in that area knowing he was our only legit threat. Result CC only had 1 TD catch all year - and that on an option pass.

If we can get Fred Davis involved in the red zone offense on some 2 TE and jumbo sets he would see a lot of single coverage early on and give us some good matchups. Getting better production in the red zone (TDs not FG's) is a key to our improvement on offense this year. We left too many points on the field not getting it in inside the 20.

The only thing that I have in my head when it comes to Davis on the field is him running like he was stuck in a black hole to be tackled about half a mile behind the line of scrimmage. I won't define him by one play, but I didn't see anything to be excited about last year except in the papers.

If we use him how you're advising, though, then I think that he can be something quite special and we could have the best tight end pairing in the league.

Until Davis gets on the field and proves otherwise to me, he is a slacker. He wasn't involved in the offense last year for a reason. Lack of knowledge, conditioning, blocking skills etc. In other words he wasn't prepared, which makes him a slacker.

Or he was a rookie playing behind one of the best tight ends in the league and a guy who's a renowned blocker? Maybe?

I'm not Davis's biggest fan, but come on, give him some, wait for it . . ., slack!

I agree with everything you said. We should definitely use some 2 TE sets in the redzone.

Until Davis gets on the field and proves otherwise to me, he is a slacker. He wasn't involved in the offense last year for a reason. Lack of knowledge, conditioning, blocking skills etc. In other words he wasn't prepared, which makes him a slacker.

Of the three 2nd round picks, Davis showed the most promise last year. That might not be saying much at this point, but I think you are off base. For Davis to be productive in this offense plays must be practiced and design for two TE's or Davis splitting out as a WR. That takes time, practice and implentation, blame that on a first year HC, OC and game planning. So really there is no blame. Right now I think Davis, and not Campbell is the key to Zorn having a productive offense. As one poster stated and I have stated before, Red Zone production is the reason this offense failed to score. And all teams had to do was take Cooley out of the picture and their defensive success was increased dramatically. Unless you hit Moss in blown coverage, how else could he be consistently productive from 20 yards in?

You seem to be in the same time warp that Cowherd returned from to spew that "Slacker" label. I am a big Davis fan at this point. The man showed glimpses of that last year. HE looks like a man playing against boys.

You seem to be in the same time warp that Cowherd returned from to spew that "Slacker" label. I am a big Davis fan at this point. The man showed glimpses of that last year. HE looks like a man playing against boys.

But he wasn't on the field. He didn't play special teams like Cooley did as a rookie. His shinning moment came in mop up time against scrubs during the preseason. When he was a boy playing against guys that are not in the league anymore. Forget about the redzone production, I want to see production in the 80 yards before the redzone as well. If redzone production was all that was required to play, then Darnarian McCants would still be in the league. You Fred lovers must have watched different games than I did during the year. He had 3 catches for 27 yards. How is that a man among boys? Yoder had more production...

Cowherd is an ass hat but until Davis contributes ANYTHING to this team he will justifyingly continue to receive criticism.

I disagree. Until he contributes, he deserves nothing. He hasn't done anything wrong, per se, he just hasn't done anything. If he gets out there regularly and effs it up, then yeah, release the hounds. If he lights it up, then bring on the avatar (in three or four years ;) ).

He doesn't deserve anything right now.

I disagree. Until he contributes, he deserves nothing. He hasn't done anything wrong, per se, he just hasn't done anything. If he gets out there regularly and effs it up, then yeah, release the hounds. If he lights it up, then bring on the avatar (in three or four years ;) ).

He doesn't deserve anything right now.

All Boozie has shown me is he doesn't know the playbook well enough and his alarm clock is broke. Sorry no ceegar.

Archived