Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which would be the first major sport to go out?

Rdskn4Lyf21

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

NFL - No way it ever 'goes down'. Yes, the CBA is coming up, and they may even have a lockout, but Pro Football will be king in this country for a long, long time. Each team only plays 16 games, so each game is huge. People have a whole week to study the game, get prepared, have a bunch of folks get together, and watch the game. It is also the easiest sport to bet on and fantasy is much easier in NFL.

NBA - I don't like pro basketball, but just looking at the infrastructure (large stadiums that are almost 100% owned by the teams/owners, TV deal with major cable and big networks, good local TV/Radio deals) shows that it will be a force for a long, long time. Heck, they even have enough $$$ to prop up the WNBA - any sport that can do that is in good shape.

MLB - I detest major league baseball. I can watch playoffs (though not Bos-NY) for a few innings, but the rest just bores the crap out of me. The ONLY reason it continues to do well (relatively speaking) is that it has no competition (with other 'major' sports) all summer. It still keeps sliding downward, but I don't think it will go out.

NHL - I love the NHL. It is a great sport and has benefitted the most with the invention and proliferation of HD programming. It is much easier to watch on a 55" HD than a 17" w/bunny-ear antenna. The problem is that the NHL does not have a good TV deal (where the money is). ESPN never gave it good slots and would pre-empt it for almost any other programming. Canada lives and breathes the sport (as well as some other northern cities), but it is the closes to going.

If you said one was going to be 'gone' from being a major sport in the next 10 years, here is how I would predict:

NFL - 0.05%

NBA - 9.95%

MLB - 30%

NHL - 60%

If you said one was going to be 'gone' from being a major sport in the next 10 years, here is how I would predict:

NFL - 0.05%

NBA - 9.95%

MLB - 30%

NHL - 60%

Seems way too high for MLB. That league has been around for over 100 years and people still love it and watch it. I would say MLB and the NFL are the two safest. MLB is great because there's nothing like going to a game on a summer evening/afternoon. And like you said about the NFL, its only once a week so its easy to follow and have people get together. The NBA, I think will be fine for a while, but they need to change some things to get more people interested. The NHL is starting to come back, but needs to get on ESPN so more people will watch it. Having huge playoff games on Versus when most people can't watch it is never good.

Seems way too high for MLB. That league has been around for over 100 years and people still love it and watch it. I would say MLB and the NFL are the two safest. MLB is great because there's nothing like going to a game on a summer evening/afternoon. And like you said about the NFL, its only once a week so its easy to follow and have people get together. The NBA, I think will be fine for a while, but they need to change some things to get more people interested. The NHL is starting to come back, but needs to get on ESPN so more people will watch it. Having huge playoff games on Versus when most people can't watch it is never good.

Realistically, you are correct. I only put MLB so high because if there were another scandal in the next several years, it could potentially lose enough fans to get it out of the 'major' category. It wouldn't ever go away (I don't think any of them will).

Realistically, you are correct. I only put MLB so high because if there were another scandal in the next several years, it could potentially lose enough fans to get it out of the 'major' category. It wouldn't ever go away (I don't think any of them will).

Too be honest, I think the scandals make baseball what it is. Throughout the history of MLB there have been plenty of them. The Black Sox, Pete Rose, and now the Steroids Era to name a few.

I think the only thing that turns fans away from a sport are lockouts. Baseball took a big hit in 1994 when they had their problems, hockey the same, and even the NBA. The NFL is the only major sport to not have a work stoppage in the last 15 years. Could it happen after this CBA is up? Maybe, but I think thats why the NFL is so successful right now, if they were to have a work stoppage, it would be interesting to see how the fans would react.

Even though the NHL is my 2nd favorite of the 4 listed, they are clearly the most likely to go out. This is all about money, and the NHL makes the least. Hockey is every bit as exciting as football, and personally, i find the NBA and especially MLB to be slightly less boring than church, but both of them have contracts with ESPN and the major networks. The NHL is on Versus and has a few playoff games on network TV.

I do think the NHL made a MAJOR stride forward in popularity this year, thanks in part to OV's insane skill level and style of play, and the Pittsburgh/Caps 7 game series. That could just be locally though. I know the Caps probably doubled their fan base in the last 2 years.

I think the sports in trouble or at least the NON NFL teams just have too many games.

NHL 82 is way too many for the physicality of the sport. I'd be happy with 60 and starting the post-season earlier. Hard for the casual fan to equate June with Stanley Cup.

NBA ... way too many freakin games. You could pair it down easily by half. Same with MLB. Does anyone actually watch all 160ish games?

Thats the benefit of the NFL ... every week matters.

I agree 100%

I think the greatest transgressor for this is baseball. You can go on a double-digit losing streak then turn around and make the playoffs. That is just bizzare.

The NFL is great because every game is extremely important. Scarcity has created the product.

The regular season in the NFL has a similar atmoshere to playoffs in other sports.

MLB has plenty of young stars. Longoria, Wright, Reyes, Howard, Braun, Markakis, Jones, Pedroia, Hamels, Lincecum, Billingsley. As well as veterans like Pujols, A-Rod (people will still watch him and Manny), Santana, Halladay, Sabathia, Teixeria, Jeter, Beckett, Utley, Rollins, Soriano, Chipper, etc. Baseball has plenty of star power, I actually think it has more now than it ever has.
The MLB has way more stars than that. Plus the popularity is too high for it to be in trouble.

Yeah, WE know that the MLB has some nice Superstars. But When making this statement, I was trying to imply that casual sport fans don't know who they are.

Who doesn't know Kobe and Lebron, Crosby and Ovechkin, and Manning and Brady?

The question was which sports would go first. I think it will be MLB because it's star power is weaker than the other 3 and the steroids issue is really making them look bad.

Yeah, WE know that the MLB has some nice Superstars. But When making this statement, I was trying to imply that casual sport fans don't know who they are.

Who doesn't know Kobe and Lebron, Crosby and Ovechkin, and Manning and Brady?

The question was which sports would go first. I think it will be MLB because it's star power is weaker than the other 3 and the steroids issue is really making them look bad.

I think the NHL has the least recognizable star power of the 4. The NHL has just Crosby and Ovechkin as their main 2. That's great, but outside of hockey fans, how many people know who they are? How many people know who A-Rod, Manny, Pujols, and Jeter are? I'd say ALOT more. And like I said, MLB has always had scandals throughout their history and yet for 100+ years the games still go on.

Hockey?

Its definitley the NFL. Hockey is played in the US, Canada, and Eastern Europe. I would say that the NHL has the least % of American born players out of the 4 leagues. I wonder how many international players are in the NFL. I don't think I can name many off the top of my head.

Today I don't think any are at serious risk but it's down to leadership.

In any of the four a lengthy players strike, if mishandled by owners, would affect TV contracts and fan interest. It wasn't that long ago that horse racing and boxing were huge. Greed and mismanagement can destroy any industry.

Its definitley the NFL. Hockey is played in the US, Canada, and Eastern Europe. I would say that the NHL has the least % of American born players out of the 4 leagues. I wonder how many international players are in the NFL. I don't think I can name many off the top of my head.

Wow I wasn't thinking at all :\

OT though, I don't see any of these sports leaving, however, I chose NHL.

If NHL goes through another lockout odds are good they will lose out. NHL probably has one of the most loyal fan bases but it can only be tapped so many times.

NFL is obviously here to stay even with the upcoming CBA because it is so attracting to just the casual fan. Pretty much simple rules and a short season make it very easy to watch.

The NHL, for sure. I can't tell you how happy I was when they went on strike. That was great coming home, watching ESPN and not having to sit through useless hockey highlights. No one cares about the NHL. Case in point, I remember a few years ago SI had an article that stated the NHL got lower ratings than the PBA!!

Archived