Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The GOP: What's the solution? (with poll)

Teller

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Immigration was the one thing Bush was right about. The party has to moderate its language on the issue significantly, it may be too late.

The don't HAVE to. Interestingly, a strong stand on immigration is a postivie amongst the African American community. They could really use it as a wedge to attract some of the African American community, but then they'd have to move on some issues related to that community for that really to be effective.

The African American community isn't going to leave the Democratic party to any real degree because of immigration, but it could be used to get the process started, MAYBE.

Like this post lol....

Politics always runs in cycles, and most parties eventually shoot themselves in the foot.

3-6 months from now, when unemployment is at 10-11%, people will realize that the average american received nothing from the govt bailouts.

The dollar will begin to dive, the price of oil begin to move up sharply, and we will be hit with rampant inflation.

The 60k temporary census jobs will be viewed as a scam, and the country will become angry.

Then people will realize that the only way to turn the economy around is to favor small business growth, and to actually get money back into the hands of the citizens.

That is the GOP. They don't need to do anything. Just sit back and let the programs of the Dems shoot themselves in the foot.

People oppose any particular program, but they also oppose doing nothing ... polls are really kind of unhelpful in this regard. All that matters is that they blame Bush and they trust Obama. That is the burden the GOP has to overcome.

That's a fair point.

The don't HAVE to. Interestingly, a strong stand on immigration is a postivie amongst the African American community. They could really use it as a wedge to attract some of the African American community, but then they'd have to move on some issues related to that community for that really to be effective.

The African American community isn't going to leave the Democratic party to any real degree because of immigration, but it could be used to get the process started, MAYBE.

You are not going to make inroads with AA community with immigration. Frankly, it is a hopeless cause. The focus should be with hispanics. Bush made some serious inroads, the base did everything in their power to wipe them away. Who knew that figures like Tom Tancredo would turn off people.

The reason the Repubs have lost elections is that they #1 say one thing than do another.

#2 they have gone away from their base and are now just RINO's. If they want to win, they need to stick to what got them there to begin with and actuall do what they say they will. lower taxes, cut spending and less govt.

You are not going to make inroads with AA community with immigration. Frankly, it is a hopeless cause. The focus should be with hispanics. Bush made some serious inroads, the base did everything in their power to wipe them away. Who knew that figures like Tom Tancredo would turn off people.

Yep the AA community is a hopeless cause for decades,and the main focus should be on the other minority groups...at least till they wake the **** up:chair:

All in all only future events,and the Dems own actions,will determine the relevance of the GOP in the near future.

See the thread I'm about to post for a reason Repubs are in trouble.

sorry dude but your premise very shakey. Sorry. The reason the repubs are in trouble is because powell is more left than right?? :doh:

brilliance at it's finest.

sorry dude but your premise very shakey. Sorry. The reason the repubs are in trouble is because powell is more left than right?? :doh:

brilliance at it's finest.

:no: It's because they wanna listen to that overpaid fatass.

I hate Rush. HATE him. But he IS a conservative.

Colin Powell is not. Period.

Like I said, it's SUBSTANCE, not presentation.

Rush is an extremist....He will never have populus appeal. In other words, if the nationwide consensus is that Rush Limbaugh is the face of the Republican Party, they will continue to be in the minority.

The biggest problem with the GOP is what they did didn't work. They need to come up with something that looks like it will and find someone who people will believe will do what they say.

The best thing the GOP could do right now is to go away. Work with the Dems on "good" ideas, be constructive versus obstructive in debates, come up with an agenda or even a new contract for America that seems honorable, honest, and has a chance of working, and find spokespeople who someone other than die hard GOPers find credible.

Ignore the loony religious conservatives and neo-Nixon Bush-ites and go back to fiscal conservatism: cut spending, keep taxes low (especially taxes on savings and investment), balanced budgets, free trade, etc.

Social issues like gay marriage, ten commandments in school, etc. should be ignored with more emphasis instead on personal freedoms and responsibility.

I hate Rush. HATE him. But he IS a conservative.

Colin Powell is not. Period.

Limbaugh is not so much a conservative as he is simply a cheerleader for the GOP, regardless of where their party ideology wanders. Powell is a Reagan conservative - pro-business, low taxes, less gov't, pro military. The fact that he and other libertarian Republicans are no longer considered conservative - that thanks to Buchanan and Bush conservatism has been redefined as ultra-religious big-gov't Neo-Nixonianism - is precisely why the GOP is falling apart. W has done to the GOP what John Major did to the Tories - a big gov't candidate sending his party into an irreversible death spiral.

I went option "duh", mainly because I didnt see the option i would fall in with.

Honestly, I'll vote for the candidate that campaigns on following Article 1 sec 8 with the most precision and has proven this in the past rather than just saying it.

Dem, GOP, Green party, I don't care. It's the principles I'm seeking.

Colin Powell is a symptom of what ails the Republican Party, which is that they've moved toward the right faster than the rest of the public.

I applaud them for taking a principled stand, but predict that they'll eventually get tired of losing elections and move back toward center.

Colin Powell is a symptom of what ails the Republican Party, which is that they've moved toward the right faster than the rest of the public.

I applaud them for taking a principled stand, but predict that they'll eventually get tired of losing elections and move back toward center.

"Center" lost them the last one

"Center" lost them the last one

With the backlogged resentment of Bush, the banking crisis, the mortgage implosion, and a number of other things... no Republican stood an honest chance last year. And for once the Dem didn't self-destruct. They tried with Edwards. Heck, they tried a bit with Hillary (who I think would have won, but would have had no honeymoon and the country would be in the same 51-49 morass it's been in for a decade)

Center, right, or liberal the Republican Party met a perfect storm and stood no chance. They would have lost to Dukakis this year even if the man never left the tank and did hairy belly shots off a gunnery sgt.

Archived