Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The GOP: What's the solution? (with poll)

Teller

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

With the backlogged resentment of Bush, the banking crisis, the mortgage implosion, and a number of other things... no Republican stood an honest chance last year. And for once the Dem didn't self-destruct. They tried with Edwards. Heck, they tried a bit with Hillary (who I think would have won, but would have had no honeymoon and the country would be in the same 51-49 morass it's been in for a decade)

Center, right, or liberal the Republican Party met a perfect storm and stood no chance. They would have lost to Dukakis this year even if the man never left the tank and did hairy belly shots off a gunnery sgt.

I agree to an extent. Though, November was an ideal time of strife (post TARP) for a strict constitutionalist to have a better chance than in previous times.

Limbaugh is not so much a conservative as he is simply a cheerleader for the GOP, regardless of where their party ideology wanders. Powell is a Reagan conservative - pro-business, low taxes, less gov't, pro military. The fact that he and other libertarian Republicans are no longer considered conservative - that thanks to Buchanan and Bush conservatism has been redefined as ultra-religious big-gov't Neo-Nixonianism - is precisely why the GOP is falling apart. W has done to the GOP what John Major did to the Tories - a big gov't candidate sending his party into an irreversible death spiral.

Brilliant post

The loaded language used by the GOP powers at be right now is nothing but candy for the idiot brigade base that currently constitutes 98 percent of the base.

I am again hoping for a Palin nomination so that this wing of the right gets smacked down hard by 500+ EVs in 2012 and is 100 percent discredited.

At that point, you can begin to rebuild a conservative movement in America

I would like to see a return to true fiscal conservatism...not this Bush crap, and CERTAINLY not this Obama BS. I would like to see the opposite of Obama, Bush, Clinton, etc. in fact.

Furthermore, I would like to see the GOP appropriately address our health care system issues, something Obama has completely missed the boat on and is going to totally screw us all over with.

Those are my two biggies.

But to be honest, by the time Obama's done with indebting us to everyone and their brother and driving our health care into the ground with his current policies, I'm worried there isn't anyone who will be able to repair the damage. Honestly. Sounds pessimistic, but I'm pretty pessimistic about our situation these days. Especially today after talking with my dad for a long while about some of the new Obama health care legislation and future plans of the administration.

Limbaugh is not so much a conservative as he is simply a cheerleader for the GOP, regardless of where their party ideology wanders. Powell is a Reagan conservative - pro-business, low taxes, less gov't, pro military. The fact that he and other libertarian Republicans are no longer considered conservative - that thanks to Buchanan and Bush conservatism has been redefined as ultra-religious big-gov't Neo-Nixonianism - is precisely why the GOP is falling apart. W has done to the GOP what John Major did to the Tories - a big gov't candidate sending his party into an irreversible death spiral.
By the by, I very much agree with this post. Well done.

Furthermore, I would like to see the GOP appropriately address our health care system issues, something Obama has completely missed the boat on and is going to totally screw us all over with.

But to be honest, by the time Obama's done with indebting us to everyone and their brother and driving our health care into the ground with his current policies, I'm worried there isn't anyone who will be able to repair the damage. Honestly. Sounds pessimistic, but I'm pretty pessimistic about our situation these days. Especially today after talking with my dad for a long while about some of the new Obama health care legislation and future plans of the administration.

That is the thing, the GOP currently has no solution to the health care crises, which is probably number 1 or 2 on a majority of American's priority list

It ends up sounding like the GOP supports the status quo and insurance companies, another consequence of being the party of big corporation.

There is a solution there that does not involve single payer or the government getting more involved. The GOP simply does not articulate it at all with any credibility

That is the thing, the GOP currently has no solution to the health care crises, which is probably number 1 or 2 on a majority of American's priority list

It ends up sounding like the GOP supports the status quo and insurance companies, another consequence of being the party of big corporation.

There is a solution there that does not involve single payer or the government getting more involved. The GOP simply does not articulate it at all with any credibility

You're right. The GOP can kiss my ass right about now. Really. That's how pissed I am. I am not an Obama fan and think he is taking us down a path of no return, but the GOP isn't doing jack crap to come out with any type of alternatives.

I mean, sure, they aren't going to be able to pass anything and the Obama administration can pretty much do whatever they want, but at least PRESENT a coherent alternative to your constituents.

I would just like to see ONE person come out with some true conservative solutions. And I would prefer to focus on fiscal conservatism, small government, etc. and move away from catering to religious special interests. I might be against abortion in most cases, etc., etc., but that certainly is not my primary focus, and I don't think issues like that which cater to the ultra-religious should be huge cornerstones of the GOP today.

The problem with the current GOP is demonstrated with McCain's presidential bid. An experienced candidate that was likable and electable by the mainstream lost his way in attempting to shore up the "base".

Too many in the center thought the GOP appealed to its worst elements, and while feeling Obama was a big risk, it was a better option than what McCain/Palin was offering in the latter stages of the campaign.

This is a different thread, but my problem with all the health care proposals is they are all just sticking a thumb in a swiss cheese of a dike. The problem isn't getting us health insurance. It's that the health insurance system is corrupt, broken, and evil. It's that big Pharma is broke, corrupt and evil. It's that the doctors (the good ones anyway) and the sick are screwed. Giving us insurance is not the cure because insurance right now is a crooked con game and a disease in and of itself.

I do like the idea of Universal Health Care. I don't know how I'd make it work. But I do know that I'd entirely blow up the current system and not try to fit all the square pegs into round holes and try to make all the players happy. To fix it we need to almost start from scratch and some politicians would have to be willing to make some very powerful enemies with really deep pockets.

I've always the terms "hard right", "progressive" etc, it's stupid to make the political spectrum a 2 dimensional scale.

Become a moderate version of the libertarian party (small government, limit federal power, states rights, 10th amendment) and drop the crap that's marginalizing the right (religion in government, anti-gay marriage, basically stop making social conservatism the foundation of their platform). Sensible foreign policy (no pointless wars or police of the world BS) and restore a focus on individual liberty (renounce warrantless surveillance and support habeas corpus rights to any detainees, especially citizens labeled "enemy combatants")

This is what I've been saying for years now and I don't think it's a change that will be happening any time soon.

I also think that the republicans would be VERY wise to change their policy about healthcare. Instead of defending the current system at all costs, specifically argue against any federal system as a dangerous centralization of control and power. If they're open to state systems of public health care, they will be much more well-received and not betray their federalist roots.

Basically, argue that if healthcare is a vital service that everyone is entitled to and cannot be provided by the market, it can be compared to the fire department, police, or any other important service provided by state and local departments. A decentralized system won't have the massive bureaucracy that will inevitably drag down a federal UHC system.

The party right now is on a collision course and odds are will probably split into a Economic Conservative/Social Moderate and a Social Conservative/Economic Moderate-Liberal one within the next 20 years.

The only solution short term is to go more towards the center socially while keeping right and against the massive spending the country has been doing for the last 8+ years (and sadly at an accelerated rate).

I will have to say we need to "compromise" just a little towards the left. The GOP has way to many old timers in their that are not going to get the votes from the younger GOP'ers or the people that sit on the fence on serious issues.

Taking a hard line stance either way can and has proven to be catastrophic and both parties need to meet towards the middle or we will continue wasting tax payers dollars in the bickering that the parties do to try to get things passed through.

All of you that know me from the board and in real life will know I have hardcore republican beliefs and values, but I'm also a realist and believe that the beliefs and values of one single party are not the way it should be.

Personally these are very very sad times for both major parties (Dems and Repubs) and I can say I'm thoroughly disgusted with them both. We seriously need to clean house and get fresh non-corrupt blood in these offices to make things any better.

The biggest problem with the GOP is what they did didn't work. They need to come up with something that looks like it will and find someone who people will believe will do what they say.

I agree with this statement. It worked with Reagan and some of bush 1 & 2 but Bush's second term and the republicans had a complete fail with regard to how they did things. They said one thing and did another.

The best thing the GOP could do right now is to go away. Work with the Dems on "good" ideas, be constructive versus obstructive in debates, come up with an agenda or even a new contract for America that seems honorable, honest, and has a chance of working, and find spokespeople who someone other than die hard GOPers find credible.

problem with this approach is that the dems don't have good ideas. They are failed ideas from the past that have never worked. I agree with you that they need to come up with good ideas of their own. However that isn't happening.

I also agree they need someone who is truely a conservative who comes across as credible and not just some politician who is blowing air up everyones shirt. Right now they have nothing close to that person.

another area I disagree with is that the gop needs to change it's views. It's views are solid and work. They just need people who are willing to actually do them and not just pay lip service to it's base and the american people.

IMO this premise that the GOP needs to go away and become something else is as ridiculous as telling the dems they need to change and become something else.

Colin Powell is a symptom of what ails the Republican Party, which is that they've moved toward the right faster than the rest of the public.

I applaud them for taking a principled stand, but predict that they'll eventually get tired of losing elections and move back toward center.

As one poster stated I believe in another thread, "If the republican party is too far right, than I'm fidel castro"

This is a different thread, but my problem with all the health care proposals is they are all just sticking a thumb in a swiss cheese of a dike. The problem isn't getting us health insurance. It's that the health insurance system is corrupt, broken, and evil. It's that big Pharma is broke, corrupt and evil. It's that the doctors (the good ones anyway) and the sick are screwed. Giving us insurance is not the cure because insurance right now is a crooked con game and a disease in and of itself.

I do like the idea of Universal Health Care. I don't know how I'd make it work. But I do know that I'd entirely blow up the current system and not try to fit all the square pegs into round holes and try to make all the players happy. To fix it we need to almost start from scratch and some politicians would have to be willing to make some very powerful enemies with really deep pockets.

Wow, we agree. I believe IMO that you hit the nail on the head. It's not that we need universal healthcare, but the system needs to be revamped. the INS is crooked as you said.

IMO if you fix the health insurance system, you have fixed 90% of the healthcare problem.

I would like to see a return to true fiscal conservatism...not this Bush crap, and CERTAINLY not this Obama BS. I would like to see the opposite of Obama, Bush, Clinton, etc. in fact.

I couldn't agree more.

You're right. The GOP can kiss my ass right about now. Really. That's how pissed I am. I am not an Obama fan and think he is taking us down a path of no return, but the GOP isn't doing jack crap to come out with any type of alternatives.

I mean, sure, they aren't going to be able to pass anything and the Obama administration can pretty much do whatever they want, but at least PRESENT a coherent alternative to your constituents.

I would just like to see ONE person come out with some true conservative solutions. And I would prefer to focus on fiscal conservatism, small government, etc. and move away from catering to religious special interests. I might be against abortion in most cases, etc., etc., but that certainly is not my primary focus, and I don't think issues like that which cater to the ultra-religious should be huge cornerstones of the GOP today.

You know, there's been more than one person... it's just a matter of being willing to listen.

I've always the terms "hard right", "progressive" etc, it's stupid to make the political spectrum a 2 dimensional scale.

Become a moderate version of the libertarian party (small government, limit federal power, states rights, 10th amendment) and drop the crap that's marginalizing the right (religion in government, anti-gay marriage, basically stop making social conservatism the foundation of their platform). Sensible foreign policy (no pointless wars or police of the world BS) and restore a focus on individual liberty (renounce warrantless surveillance and support habeas corpus rights to any detainees, especially citizens labeled "enemy combatants")

This is what I've been saying for years now and I don't think it's a change that will be happening any time soon.

Believe me, there are some of us who are devoting countless hours to trying to make that change a reality.

Excellent post... Hit the nail on the head.

The choice to go with McCain was the first of many mistakes.

Except that choice was made by registered Republicans themselves. And it wasn't even close. I really doubt that another candidate would have fared any better. I imagine a Romney or Huckabee would have lost by more than McCain's popular deficit of 7.2% and electoral deficit of almost 200 EVs.

McCain was the best candidate the GOP could possibly have chosen. Experienced, moderate, very much not W. In fact, when he pulled away in the primaries and then Obama made it a non-contest in the Dem primaries my first reaction was, "Finally! An election in which either candidate could win and I'll be pretty happy."

But that changed when McCain showed his campaign colors. Stunt after stunt, cheap bargain-bin rhetoric, and a failure to truly disavow Bush politics or make any real case for why his party should be given another chance. Palin, Joe the Plumber, etc... All data points indicating that he wasn't exercising the good judgment people thought they knew him to have.

For the record, he would have been a better president than candidate IMO. But America knew something big had to change, and McCain didn't bring it.

The problem with the current GOP is demonstrated with McCain's presidential bid. An experienced candidate that was likable and electable by the mainstream lost his way in attempting to shore up the "base".

Too many in the center thought the GOP appealed to its worst elements, and while feeling Obama was a big risk, it was a better option than what McCain/Palin was offering in the latter stages of the campaign.

Especially at the end of the campaign, the desperation was palpable. The GOP did a lot of damage to itself in those last few weeks.

You know, there's been more than one person... it's just a matter of being willing to listen.

I have been listening; I don't care for any of the options put out there on the table thus far by anyone, especially in regards to health care.

I think its funny reading what people on the left think the GOP needs to do.

Let me ask this of all of the leftwingers chiming in-

Is there ANYTHING the GOP could do to get you to become a Republican? Answer honestly.

Of course not.

I think its funny reading what people on the left think the GOP needs to do.

Let me ask this of all of the leftwingers chiming in-

Is there ANYTHING the GOP could do to get you to become a Republican? Answer honestly.

Of course not.

Become a Republican.. probably not. Vote Republican. Sure. Been there and done that. Probably will again one day in the future if they can reclaim some of what made them honorable and good. Right now, the Repubs stand for what is worst in Government. (In fairness, in ten years the Dem will probably reclaim that mantle)

I don't get it myself. I don't care who you sleep with, I don't care what god you talk to on Sunday. I don't care what you say or wear or like or collect.

Just leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. I'm a good person and I don't hurt anybody. Why do the people I pay to look out for me, have to intrude on my life and why can't I make them stop?

I don't want my government to do the things others can do. I don't want them to spend my money on things I will spend my money on myself.

Why do government officials profit personally from the ways they spend my money?

Why do they feel the need to tell me what is "moral"?

We grossly over spend and over regulate and spend too much of my money and their time, paying attention to me.

I don't care about the "us" as much as the "me" and if we all did our part to pull our own weight and pay attention to things ourselves, the government wouldn't need to.

Why dump a **** ton of money killing people across the globe, when we don't even know who is in our own country and can't stop more people from coming here, when we don't even know who they are.

This whole mess is a joke. We need to get back to the basics and simplify everything.

Archived