Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So tired of fans calling each other "haters"

AAARedskin

speaking as someone who has been called more names than anyone on the board

when they start labeling you, it's the same as admitting defeat... because they can't logically debate the issue. Other people reading the threads understand what's going on. Someone calling a name to try and discredit someone, usually is discrediting themselves.

or because you are a hater

I think its even more than that. There are some people who doubt JC and have legit arguments to support their doubt. The thing about it is that we always get into the same argument. Its like a repeated cycle that we keep going through. So then one side gets called a "hater" and the other side gets called a "homer".

Truth is nobody knows how the Skins will do this year. All we can do is give our opinions, supported by whatever we have to support it.

I remember somebody posting statistical research into why JC would have a passer rating of below 70 last year and it looked like interesting research, but it was proven wrong when he had a rating of 84 or so.

I tend to just look for the interesting NEW arguments on both sides, or people that at least can make me laugh. Thats why, even though I don't always agree with Oldfan, I like his posts cause they normally make people think, and he can back up his claims with some reasonable discussion.

I don't think anybody falls into the category of "always a hater". People have different things they're passionate about. One may be that JC is not a starting QB. One may be that Colt is a better QB. One may be that Betts is a better RB. I remember I was on a rant saying that we had a stupid front office.

Its hard to be a Larry Michael and root for every decision that this team makes. I'm to the point now where I'm spending a lot more time in Tailgate (thanks to the "New Posts" button at the top of the page) just responding to the more relaxed threads. I don't have the evidence to support my belief that Mike Williams probably won't be any good, but I still think that. Occasionally I'll post that opinion in a thread, but if we're going to just say the same things over and over again, I'd rather just sit and wait to be proven wrong.

But not everybody's like me. Some people have more fun in the discussion about why he will fail. I just feel like if you have a problem with those type of posters, then just avoid those posts that make you want to react violently.

But don't think that because a poster seems like a "hater" to you in this one thread, that he's "just a hater" because while I disagree with somebody like BLC on the JC issue, we've been on the same side of a few discussions too. And soon enough, the JC issue will be resolved and there will be a new set of questions for Redskins fans to quarrel about.

I don't think that there are that many Redskin "haters" on ES. I know there are some who just like to stir things up but I think alot of it is just different opinions about things people feel strongly about. For example I'm not sold on JC being the QB we need. That doesn't mean I hate him and if he's our QB come September I'll be one of the biggest JC fans out there. That doesn't mean I'm going to give him or any other Skins player a pass if they mess up. I support them on Sunday but at the same time you can't support them blind. I think this just comes out more in the offseason because thats when most all of the personell decisions are made. Someone's sig said it best and I don't remember whos it was but:

regular person + anonimity + large audience = total dickwad

Some people may be bored, stressed, dissatisfied, powerless, rude, and any of those other manifestations of some kind of fear in personal life.

ES provides a place where that fear energy can be released. Relatively speaking, it is better to rant on a board than cause bodily harm to oneself and others.

But it does make life for simple, enthusiastic fans difficult.

A statement of support for a hometown college player who makes the team could be thrown back in the poster's face as a hate message about the incumbent player in the same position.

That is not right.

One can only imagine how many fans, family and friends of this year's draft class are hiding in the shadows because fans of last year's draft class are STILL getting pounded for being "against the incumbent".

"Freedom of speech" was not intended to be "free to rant at anyone for any reason".

Good manners and common courtesy is a quality appreciated.

To me, there is only one thing more annoying than those that can see absolutely nothing good about this organization...and that is someone that can see absolutely nothing wrong with this organization.

We call them "haters" and "homers". There is no logical conversation going on when you get involved with one of them. But put them together, and they sure are fun to watch.

People here have gone so far as to hope for a disastrously poor season to "teach Vinny and TheDan a lesson". Well, actively rooting for failure so that you can feel your twisted agenda is validated is pretty damn sad, and I defy anyone to stretch the definition of fan far enough to cover that.

See, the vast majority of the people who I've witnessed recently wish ill on the Skins fortunes this season are ardent DEFENDERS (aka 'non-haters') of a certain QB. Almost none of the 'haters' have ever shown that, in fact, they've expressed the opposite.

I've also staunchly defended Samuels and Portis on this board (other than complaining a bit about him falling down a couple years back) and even Lavar. I will support the coaches when I think they're right and NOT when I don't.

I've also, for the longest, spoken out in defense of Snyder, both as a human being and owner. Not because I'm some "Snydertown" kool-aid swiller but because I try to be as objective and fair as I can. I also happen to believe QB is the most important position on the team and that I am better than other people at discernment of talent at that position. I'm not perfect but I have a decent record on the subject.

The people I consider "haters" are not people who criticize one guy, even irrationally, but who seemingly hate the team, its fanbase and all of its players. And those types are truly few and far between.

I am disturbed about any 'fan' who would wish the team to lose and waste another year of Santana and Portis and Cooley and Samuels' lives to prove a lesson to Snyder and Vinny for their alleged 'ill-treatment' of certain players.

"hate" is when the Skins make a splash in free agency, they get criticized for trying to buy a team, while if they dont, they get criticized for ignoring their needs.

thats just one example. its rampant all over this board - people who utilize this medium of communication as a way of constantly bashing the team they "love" versus simply discussing the teams moves. I bet there are a good number of posters on here that you could do a search on and see not one single positive/complimentary post in a group of 100.

its just the nature of the internet thats all...no big deal. there will always be people who will never be happy and there will be those that choose to look at each individual aspect and pass judgement for the sake of discussion. i'll keep berating the doom & gloomer sky is falling oh no it's been 10 minutes into the game and its already over-fans, hopefully one day they see the light.

There are some rather vitriolic posts here on ES at times. The anonymity of the internet allows a false sense of bravado/machismo. I highly doubt these people would actually say some of the things they post if they were face to face.

Age has something to do with it, but then again I have seen people dismiss younger posters because they have been a fan of the team longer.

In the end, you have to ignore or bypass the idiotic posts and recognize them for what they are. Simple mind numbing expressions without any forethought.

This discussion is a revolving door come every offseason. It goes round and round and where it stops, well it doesn't. We'll be speaking about this next year whether people want a new QB still or whatever the situation is.

We all will have opposing opinions at one point or another, and most can discuss them intelligently. Unfortunately there will always be a minority that resorts to name calling and the way to overcome them is to just ignore them.

Not if our team goes 19-0 every year, and become the greatest dynasty EVER, never ever losing another game for the next 60 years. Then we will never have to argue about anything ever again.

criticize does not mean you hate your team

I think we will never win with Snyder and vinny, my opinion does not mean i hate the team.

I cannot think of any game i have not watched/listened to since my father first got seasons tickets[since 1961], and i have ****ed and moaned, somethimes i have been right something i have been wrong. Always loved the skins never hated them

Not if our team goes 19-0 every year, and become the greatest dynasty EVER, never ever losing another game for the next 60 years. Then we will never have to argue about anything ever again.

Trust me, fans will invent something to complain about.

THey'd say that the backup QB could have done it better and scored more points. THey'd say that our pass rush sucked but we won because of our cornerbacks. They'd say that even though we're undefeated, we just got lucky and if we had played a real team we'd have gotten demolished.

They'd find something to complain about.

I agree, however, I'm afraid you're making it far more simpler than it is. There is definitely "hate" out there directed towards our players, and at times, it's at a ridiculous level. These people are "haters" no matter how you look at it. If you're simply speaking of those who can't stand anyone to have "doubts" about a certain player like Campbell, than of course you're right, but these types are few and far in between.

I think you have to understand the difference between doubting a player and outright negativity towards a player.

For instance, I doubt that Mike Williams can take over at RT for us. However, I'd love it if he does, and furthermore, I have plenty of hope that he does so. I will not bash him for his excessive weight, nor will I call him names. I want him to succeed, and even though it is doubtful, I will have hope and support him so long as he's wearing the colors of my favorite team.

You tell me if that's the type of mentality everyone here takes towards are players... can you honestly say that? How many times do we need to hear "Candle sucks", "Boonell gots to go!", or "Carlos 'no D' Rogers"? These are our players. We demand loyalty out of them, but we show none to them. If that's not "hate" I don't what is.

I suppose someone will answer and say that it's just all in good fun. I'll accept that, but if someone takes it the wrong way and considers it hate, you can't be surprised.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This passage belongs engraved on some tablet somewhere. :applause:

criticize does not mean you hate your team

I cannot think of any game i have not watched/listened to since my father first got seasons tickets[since 1961], and i have ****ed and moaned, somethimes i have been right something i have been wrong. Always loved the skins never hated them

Ditto

It's an age thing

You're right it's definitely an age thing. All the 30-40 somethings who come on this site that have like 5,000 posts and never have anything positive to say about anything is who you are referring to right? Yea I don't like them either, good call!

It's less of an age thing and more of a maturity thing. Let's face it, you 40 year olds are not any more mature than any of us 20 year olds.

It's less of an age thing and more of a maturity thing. Let's face it, you 40 year olds are not any more mature than any of us 20 year olds.

It's immaturity that leads you to believe that.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't know.

I do know the term "hater" and the verb "hatin'" are idiotic, though.

Archived