Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

True or False: On Paper, the Redskins have a championship defense

SMOSS89

This is, of course, with the usual caveat that on paper != the field of play.

Hmmm...let's see....

- Great mix of youth and veterans

- Depth at DT

- Weird depth at LB (lol)

- Awesome secondary, with good, young depth (Smoot = veteran, not bad)

- Ends who can stuff run well, with mix of versatile End/Tackle players, in addition to having some pass rush ability (Carter)

Thoughts?

We don't OK linebackers with no depth. If we happen to get a passrush this year that will be different. Also if we happen to get a passrush our secondary will be much improved. We could be if we stay healthy, but the linebacker corp scares me.

I think we are relying a hell of a hot on Daniels who is very old, is coming off a serious knee injury, and was not wanted by anyone else.

I think we are going to struggled on D for the first 8 games. Because rookie DEs always take a while to acclimated, people aren't going to be used to Haynesworth, and just because in general.

And then - if Haynesworth stays healthy - the D is going to get very very good for the second half of the year.

Define chapionship defense please..

If you're asking if we can win a championship soley on the play of our defnese, I'll have to disagree. We've failed with a good defense the last 3 out of 4 years.

But if you're asking if our offense really clicks, is our defense good enough to help us win a championship, I'd say absolutely.

We had a championship defense last season as well. We were top 5. It's too bad our offense was a winless type of offense. If we had a top 10 even top 12 offense last year we would have gone all the way.

We did not have a championship defense last year. We couldnt get off the field when it counted. We couldnt force turnovers or get sacks. We had a solid defense but it would be a stretch to call championship calliber in my opinion. My mind could probaly be changed here with some good arguments though.

On paper definitely.

We essentially return our entire 2008 defense when you consider Springs and Washington were hurt for more games than they played. If you take that into account the only "starter" we lost was the Taylor/Evans combination at LE which wasn't exactly a strong point to begin with. With Daniels providing at least equal run support as Evans and Orakpo/Wilson/whoever takes the third down spot hopefully being healthier than Jason ever was I think we can call that a wash.

What we do have to look forward to is Rocky and Carlos is contract years. This shouldn't make a difference in performance but history tells us it does. We can also look forward to the presence of Haynesworth on the DL taking double teams away from Griffin and Carter and hopefully making everyone around him better.

So yes, on paper we have a great defense. Hopefully they are as good on the field.

I'd say true. Our only weakness is at OLB and we still have plenty of time to address that. We have a good mix of guys who could hold it down for the season. But other than WOLB, I'd say our defense is set.

Strong-side is our problem. Rocky is the WILL, as long as he is healthy that spot is ok. No, even on paper our D is not championship. It's heading that way, IMO, but we're not there yet. We need a SAM LB and another really good DT to make Haynesworth's play really count. I like our corners, but wouldn't mind an upgrade there.

I'm concerned about our situation at linebacker. Fletcher starts at middle, Rocky somewhere, and then who? We're missing an important pass rushing position.

HB Blades shouldn't play anything but the middle, Robert Thomas isn't good, neither is Tyson Smith, Fincher isn't...what are we gonna start a rookie at one of our linebacker positions?

None the less we had a great defense with the likes of I-57 and Lemar Marshall back there, we can have a great defense with a sub-par linebacker...it really would be the only weakness in the starting lineup...depth is a totally different scary question...

I'm sorry' date=' but who's our starting strongside linebacker? Does anyone else remember how porous our D was with Warrick Holdman at the weakside position? We need a one year stopgap at that spot and soon.[/quote']

Duh....Orakpo on 1st and 2nd and Chris Wilson on 3rd!! You know, since we like to players out of place and all.

IMO, our 4th ranked defense is overrated.

It seemed to me more like a 9th ranked defense with duct tape holding together the legs of the injured.

There's no doubt in my mind that we will miss Mdub, I'm serious too. Shawn Springs as well.

It's time for Carlos Rogers to show some real maturity and take hold of the secondary along with LaRon Landry and Fred Smoot to help guys like Barnes, Horton, Doughty, Tryon(?), and Moore. These are the leaders of our secondary and without Springs we need someone to step up and challenge the big guy. That's Carlos - this is the real make or break year for Auburn.

Fletcher needs to be stable and McIntosh needs to take a more leadership role as we begin to finally mold guys like Blades and the rookies like Orakpo into the mix.

Haynesworth needs to get acquainted fast and all Daniels needs to do is hold his own. I'm sure Daniels will find some comfort in Griffen, along with the younger DT's playing big roles too.

All in all we have the personal, I think it's more of a health and maturity thing at this point.

Duh....Orakpo on 1st and 2nd and Chris Wilson on 3rd!! You know, since we like to players out of place and all.
I'm sure you've put together a lot of top 10 defenses in the NFL before, the way the Redskins staff has done the past few years, with older, more injury prone talent than what they're working with now.

I'm hardly worried about our defense this year. This is arguably the most talented secondary across the board that we've had in awhile, not to mention how young the guys back there are.

The only LB spot in the air is the SAM, but we didn't have a routine player there last year and pulled that position off just fine alternating different guys.

Having Haynesworth in the mix now at DT changes the entire scope of the d-line from what it's been in recent years, and when Orakpo gets in the mix that'll make it that much better.

The other side of the ball is where the real question marks are.

I'd say false, in a very big way. There are serious questions at linebacker, the heart of the defense.

Rocky MacIntosh has shown himself to be a middle-tier starter. I think that's all we're going to get out of him (that's not bad, mind you. I'll take that any day of the week)

London Fletcher is great- but (I hate to jinx it) he is playing on borrowed time right now.

And that's the good news. ^^^^

Archived