Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

True or False: On Paper, the Redskins have a championship defense

SMOSS89

I'd say false, in a very big way. There are serious questions at linebacker, the heart of the defense.

Rocky MacIntosh has shown himself to be a middle-tier starter. I think that's all we're going to get out of him (that's not bad, mind you. I'll take that any day of the week)

London Fletcher is great- but (I hate to jinx it) he is playing on borrowed time right now.

And that's the good news. ^^^^

I agree... we've got ZERO pass-rush... We;ve added big-time DTs before and it backfired in a big-time way.

Albert Haynesworth is good, but hasn't played as a Redskin yet.

False.

We have great names and they dont give up yards and points, which is good, but they dont produce turnovers. Thats the mark of a championship defense. Its why Pittsburgh won last year. Our defense last year couldnt do what Pittsburgh did. Heres hoping that changes this year, but since I havent seen anything on the field, we dont have a champ d.

Well we don't have an awesome secondary, considering none of them seem capable of catching easy interceptions. That can be fixed though, so otherwise I'd say yes. They've just GOT to get takeaways!

True of False...

On Paper, the Redskins had the best LB corps of all-time in 2003...

all three LBs were Pro Bowlers the year before...

I thought we;ve moved past this kind of analysis.

True but hey, it's the offseason, what else we gonna talk about? Jason Campbell? I'm tired of that saga.

We had a championship defense last season as well. We were top 5. It's too bad our offense was a winless type of offense. If we had a top 10 even top 12 offense last year we would have gone all the way.

So true......look at the Cardinals last season as proof. The Skins have AND have had a better D than they do. Like you said, if the Skins ability to score POINTS would reach just an average level, the Skins could walk into the playoffs as a team that nobody wants to face. 90% of the blame should be laid right at the feet of the QB.

do they have the training mode to build him back up??

I'm not sure, I just saw an article on easports.com or something that showed who went up and down the most with the new stretched ratings system. three of the five were Redskins :/

Deangelo Hall, Fred Smoot, and Devin Thomas all dropped considerably.

I'd say no. You need 3 stand outs/true pro bowlers on your defense at least. We have Albert Haynesworth now, and London Fletcher...that's about it. I think it's a very good defense, but not a Championship D. As it stands we need a much better strong side linebacker and a true every down pass rushing defensive End. Or at least a true game changing/playmaker... Man, if Sean was still here. then we'd be talkin.

IF the SLB position is solidified and the rotation of Orkapo/Daniels/Wynn can be productive then yes, the Skins have a championship D on paper. If not then no. I think two big factors that no one is talking about is the production of London Fletcher and Rocky McIntosh. Fletcher is a straight beast and better end up in the HOF when his career is over. He is a great player but he is getting up there in age. He has shown no dropoff yet but if he does it could spell trouble. Rocky is a good young linebacker but not great yet. I think this is the year he gets it together and gets over 100 to 115 tackles as long as he stays healthy.

It's up to Greg Blache. If he plays his D as passively as he did last season, he'll have another overrated unit.

His D had just 18 takeaways, compared to the Ravens 34. That's a difference of 16 -- one per game. Each takeaway, on the average leads to four points. That's four points per game on the average. So, with Baltimore's 2008 defense, we likely win two or three more games... 10-6 or 11-5.

The Ravens were 11-5.

Define chapionship defense please..

If you're asking if we can win a championship soley on the play of our defnese, I'll have to disagree. We've failed with a good defense the last 3 out of 4 years.

But if you're asking if our offense really clicks, is our defense good enough to help us win a championship, I'd say absolutely.

+1, took the words right out of my mouth

I'm sure you've put together a lot of top 10 defenses in the NFL before, the way the Redskins staff has done the past few years, with older, more injury prone talent than what they're working with now.QUOTE]

I have. Ever heard of Madden?;)

If the could have kept Jason Taylor and trained Orakpo as a legit weak-side line backer with immediate impact on paper, the Skins would likely have the number 1 defense on paper.

Even in the absence of Taylor, the answer is yes, the Skins have a defense that is capable of winning a Super Bowl. Now only if they had a way to score some points....

/2 sheckles.

If we are healthy and everyone plays like expected and Rocky absolutely blows up (just a random thing, could get lessen the weakness at LB), I'd love to see Romo sits to pee try to compete with us.

:logo:

In order for us to be a championship defense we've got to score defensive TD which we've struggled to do since the days of Green/Bailey. We need to have at least 5 defensive scores this year to be on that elite/championship level.

Archived