Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking Development: The first image from Iron Man 2

WhoRUSupposed2Be

http://www.filmfetish.com/2009/04/30/the-first-image-from-iron-man-2/

ironman2.jpg

USA Today has posted the first image from director Jon Favreau’s upcoming Iron Man sequel. The new film started shooting three weeks ago and opens May 7, 2010. According to reports, Iron Man 2 takes place six months after Stark revealed his identity as Iron Man.

Iron Man 2 features Mickey Rourke as Whiplash, Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer and Don Cheadle replaces Terrence Howard as Rhodey.

I am a little disappointed that Terrence Howard is not returning although Don Cheadle is not a bad actor. Wasn't he the guy who played in "Traitor?"

Don Cheadle is awesome, but it always pisses me off when some actor ruins a good series by not coming back for a sequel. Its usually always something petty like money.

Why he would not come back, I have no clue unless of course he was dropped from the movie entirely!?! But, considering that his role for this installment was expanding, just doesn't make any sense.

The image suggests that there are lots and lots of suits. Or at least four. Perhaps that's just the cost of doing business, for a guy who has let everyone know that he's Iron Man. Taking on every spud who rolls into town with a popgun, etc.

Are the suits from different tech "generations," or are they just in various stages of paint/construction? It's blurry, but the suit on the viewer's far left looks like an earlier model. Might just be the angle, but the eyes look very different from the suit on the far right.

I'm glad to hear Favreau is doing the sequel. I'm a fan of pretty much anything that guy does.

He came up the right way- he learned how to make interesting movies with no budget. So when he gets carte blanche on a summer blockbuster, it is not just gratuitous special effects and explosions and big names- but an actual good movie with all that stuff thrown in :).

The first IronMan was probably the best of all Superhero movies ever done. IMO of course. A close second is Batman Begins, followed by TDK.

The first IronMan was probably the best of all Superhero movies ever done. IMO of course.

I agree with that. I think it was overall more entertaining than the other Superhero movies. It just had a really good flow of action, jokes, drama, etc.

I'm a fan of Favreau's work also. He used to host a show on IFC called Dinner for Five where actors, directors, and others in the movie business talked about their experiences in Hollywood.

I don't know,, if you look in the background, and subtracting for the degree of light, you can see clearly that the support beams for the underground facility are on a slightly different angle. Obviously this means Jason Campbell sucks and Colt Brennan should be starting, but also reveals that Tony Stark has a new apartment.

~Blah

I like Terrance Howard but actually after thinking about it, he really didn't deliver all that great of a performance in the first one.

I mean don't get me wrong it wasn't awful, but it wasn't exactly memorable, and he certainly did not deserve to be the highest paid actor.

• 2 years later...

I hope our chinese friends can help make a better movie than part two 2 ... wish I had more hands so I could that flick 4 thumbs down like Rick James

Not sure about this though? wtf?

"We know Chinese audiences love Iron Man. So we are going to add Chinese elements and a Chinese story into Iron Man 3," Disney's general manager for Greater China, Stanley Cheung, said at a news conference.

what's a chinese story?

I hope our chinese friends can help make a better movie than part two 2 ... wish I had more hands so I could that flick 4 thumbs down like Rick James

Not sure about this though? wtf?

what's a chinese story?

Probably means "The Mandarin" is going to be the villain in the third movie. From Wikipedia:

The Mandarin - Considered by many to be Iron Man's greatest foe, the Mandarin is a Chinese nobleman, scientist and former diplomat turned criminal mastermind. His true power comes from his superhuman mastery of the martial arts and ten rings of power he recovered from an alien spaceship along with highly advanced technology, which he tried to use for World domination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iron_Man_enemies

First of all, Don Cheadle was MUCH better than Howard.

Secondly, I have no real reason to think this, but I just have a feeling the third movie is going to really really suck. Maybe Spiderman 3 and X-Men 3 have made me cautious ... don't really know.

Great stuff, Bang. :ols:

And Des, I thought I'd wait and see if anybody remembered the Mandarin (great character). Well done so quickly. :D

Mandarin also has solid story-line ties to the Avengers as a group, and several members individually, in the comics, as well as to other marvel figures who have been rumored to possibly appear in their own projects at some point (The Inhumans and the Black Panther).

I'm going to go with the ****eyed optimist position, Henry, and think that maybe the Chinese involvement will be a positive enhancement of the series though that first one is hard to top in straight-up movie (as opposed to super-hero movie) quality. :)

Ben Kingsley was cast as a villian but he is not going to be the mandarin according to reports, but now that it is going to be filmed in China, they feel they are going to cast a Chinese actor for the mandarin role.

Iron man 3 begins filming in North Carolina next month as well

Archived