Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Newly signed right tackle? Per WP: Mike Williams. (Merged)

skinsfan93

Mike Williams is one of the all-time draft busts. In no way, can he be expected to help us at tackle.

But I wouldn't be shocked if the front office things he can. We've seen it before. Outside the occasional big signing, the trenches are treated like something you can band aid.

He signed yesterday.

Seriously? I can't get on line at work like I used to (all day) and I'm restricted to 45 minutes a day. I just looked for threads and on the Redskins.com and didn's see anything. That's great. Did we release Dirk Johnson?

Just saw on Washington Post that they signed him and will release Johnson. Thanks for the info. Man I feel like I'm so out of touch not being on the internet as much.

A very interesting signing. If healthy and in football condition is a huge addition to the roster.

This could also effect us taking a tackle in the 1st round as well.

LMAO.

To expect anything out of this guy is insane.

But sadly I think you're right when it comes to us not drafting a tackle.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Click link for entire article

Redskins Sign RT Mike Williams

The Redskins will announce the signing of tackle Mike Williams tonight. Williams, 29, signed a one-year deal according to a league source. He has not played in the NFL since the 2005 season. Williams was a college teammate of Skins OL Derrick Dockery in college and was the 4th overall pick by Buffalo in 2002, but his career stalled quickly.

He signed with Jacksonville in 2006, but was placed on injured reserve. This is obviously a reach, but given the need for help at tackle, a low-risk move for sure.

Also the team will announce that punter Dirk Johnson was released, which we reported last night. Punter Hunter Smith agreed to terms last night, as we reported, and the team will likely announce that over the weekend.

So... the LB position has been "fixed" by converting Wilson. The d-line has been given attention on both spots, and now right tackle has been dealt with.

Expect the Skins to blow their load on Sanchez.

Totally. But don't worry -- Erasmus James is going to kick butt this year!

I view this honestly as a smoke screen. It is very wierd timing and a very wierd signing.

There is no reason to do this now at all. We were in no rush and no team paid any attention to him.

Tomorrow will be very interesting. If these trade up rumors the entire time was all for either Monroe or Smith, I would actually be impressed with the front office.

It is one need I think we are struggling on both sides of the line. Samuels (1-2 solid years left) and RT (immediate need).

Drafting either of those gets them PT at RT in efforts to replace Samuels. This also gives Heyer time to develop (if he ever will) and picks in the next 2 years to continue to fill out the line.

At least that is my conspiracy theory the night before the draft.

Archived