Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Newly signed right tackle? Per WP: Mike Williams. (Merged)

skinsfan93

No worries.. Slowly, but surely, we'll get there.. It can't be done in a single offseason, regardless the amount of picks.

Our team is much stronger than people, here, like to believe. (imo)

a 29 year old should still have some good years left. And he's got less wear and tear on him than many would.

I'm not holding my breath on Big Mike but I'll try to be optimistic and figure this guy has never had Joe Bugel coaching him. If he makes the team and actually contributes, I'll look at it as another crowning achievement for Buges.

I can't help but wish the guy luck, but even if he's good, he's already 29. Do we really want to start signing BACKUPS who are hovering around the big 30? I don't mind giving the guy a shot, but I'd rather the spot go to a younger guy.

My guess is that unless he truly shines, he won't make the team. They'll bring him in for training camp, and if he can honesty prove that he's beyond a shadow of a doubt better than everybody else, they'll keep him, else he'll get cut in favor of a younger player. Tie goes to the younger guy. That's what I would do, anyway. What Vinny would do is a mystery.

My guess is that unless he truly shines, he won't make the team. They'll bring him in for training camp, and if he can honesty prove that he's beyond a shadow of a doubt better than everybody else, they'll keep him, else he'll get cut in favor of a younger player. Tie goes to the younger guy. That's what I would do, anyway. What Vinny would do is a mystery.

Yeah, but why actually sign him instead of just inviting him to camp like we did with the other guy?

As long as they don't project him being the starter outright, or act like their RT problem is solved, I have no issue with the signing. What could it hurt? If he sucks, you cut him, no harm, no foul. If he's adequate or a late bloomer, it's a bonus.

I tried searching but the search menu didn't return anything (just a blank white page)

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hWFdaMdas2smgcBx5gJpbgdxSoOgD97P4KAG0

Redskins sign OT M. Williams, release P D. Johnson

1 day ago

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) — The Washington Redskins signed offensive tackle Mike Williams and released punter Dirk Johnson on Friday.

Williams hasn't played in the NFL since 2005. He was drafted by the Buffalo Bills as the No. 4 overall pick in 2002.

Johnson was signed by the Redskins last month. His release comes a day after the Redskins agreed to terms with former Indianapolis Colts punter Hunter Smith.

The Redskins ranked last in the NFL in net punting average last season.

Williams started five games for the Bills in 2005. He started 42 games over the previous three seasons.

He was cut by Buffalo in February 2006, then signed a two-year contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars the following month. But Williams missed most of training camp with a sore back and went on injured reserve before that regular season began.

I don't know where this was earlier, because I didn't see it, but amid our OL woes, this news stood out to me.

Best article I could find on Big Mike:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/042309dnspowilliams.3738cd0.html

Excerpt:

The answers came a bit muffled over the telephone, punctuated by giant huffs and puffs. That's what you get when you interview a man dreaming of again playing in the NFL as he is lifting weights, preparing to flip a 600-pound tractor tire around a gym.

But Mike Williams, working out in Northern Virginia on Wednesday morning, said it was as good a time as any for him to talk.

"I know people have questions about me," he volunteered late in the conversation. "I know they are not questions about my talent. They are questions about my heart."

If the name Mike Williams doesn't ring a bell, you probably aren't a fan of the Buffalo Bills or haven't reviewed any of this NFL draft week lists of all-time disappointments. If the name is familiar, you might know him from his playing days at The Colony High School or the University of Texas.

Back in the day, Williams had a stellar all-state football career as a defensive tackle at The Colony and a terrific time taking out would-be tacklers and sackers as an offensive tackle at Texas. At 6-6 and 375 pounds, Mike Williams did not allow a sack in his final two seasons as a Longhorn.

The NFL noticed. So proficient was Mike Williams at obliterating defensive mosquitoes, he was the fourth player selected in the 2002 draft. Only one Dallas area high school player in the 43-year Super Bowl era ever has been selected higher. That was Richardson Pearce's Ray Childress, taken third by the Houston Oilers in 1985.

Selecting Williams was never considered a risk for the Bills, it wasn't a quixotic reach. Most NFL teams had him rated as the top offensive lineman of the draft just as they had the Longhorns' Leonard Davis the previous year.

In addition to extolling Williams' pass and run blocking, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. declared him "nimble" with "enough polish to step in and be an immediate starter and anchor on the Bills' offensive line."

No one begrudged his $10.5 million signing bonus. But Mike Williams' stay in Buffalo lasted only four seasons. Draft-day euphoria and great expectations were followed by Death Valley deep disappointments.

When asked about the fact that they drafted no offensive linemen, Cerrato cited the recent signing of former Buffalo Bill tackle Mike Williams as reducing the need to focus as much on the position. “When we signed Mike Williams, the way he looked at the workout, that kinda helped that.”

He must look better than what the articles are saying for us to sign him!

Agent David Dunn represents Joey Harrington and Williams, so he has plenty of work to do. Williams is the best right tackle in the draft and what is important to remember is that he played with a lefthanded quarterback and consequently was the backside blocker much like a left tackle is for a righthanded quarterback. Mike is the best run-blocking tackle in the draft who can get movement on a defensive lineman. He has an outstanding punch which will help him against big left defensive ends in the NFL. There are some issues about his pass blocking against speed rushers from the outside, but they're minimal. This is a solid, safe pick who will start for 10-15 years. Only negative I heard is his ability to take care of his weight. Some think he could become Aaron Gibson and eat himself out of the league. I don't share that view. This is exactly how Tom Donahoe builds a football team. Now, Williams teams up with free-agent signing Trey Teague at left tackle to give the Bills the best tackle tandems in the league. They'll run the ball better and the protection will be better, and the Bills, with 11 picks in this draft, are on their way to a recovery in 2002.

talk about a strikeout!

Archived