Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers "More problems then the QB"

texasthunder

That's my boy," Rogers said of Campbell. "I mean, Jason's a good quarterback, a smart guy, and he's been learning difference offenses since I've known him in college. You can tell he's intelligent because he keeps picking up those different systems. No quarterback going through different offenses like that can get familiar in one system. How do you expect him to be good? We've got more problems to worry about than just the quarterback."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/04/carlos_rogers_on_jason_campbel.html

So do you think he is refering to the OL ??

Or is he disgruntled over D. Halls contract?

That's my boy," Rogers said of Campbell. "I mean, Jason's a good quarterback, a smart guy, and he's been learning difference offenses since I've known him in college. You can tell he's intelligent because he keeps picking up those different systems. No quarterback going through different offenses like that can get familiar in one system. How do you expect him to be good? We've got more problems to worry about than just the quarterback."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/04/carlos_rogers_on_jason_campbel.html

Maybe its about the crazy FO? I agree that we do have other problems besdies QB. The OL, DL, and OLB come to mind. We also need our rookie WRs to step up this year too. Hopefully the FO can get Carols re-signed soon because how bad would that look if we lost both of our 2005 1st round picks in FA next year?

Any number of things.

From a defense incapable of coming up with a key, game-changing play, despite being good on the stat sheet.

From a coach who's offense appeared to be a series of individual routes, with little layering and influence in the route tree, allowing teams to slam us.

From an offensive line that struggled with age and injury.

From himself.

The team has positive elements. It has problems. This is a statement applied to all other teams in all other sports as well. There is some truth to what he says. The problem is the logic begins to fail when you understand that Campbell was his best when he knew less of the offense as he got worse as teams game-planned him in it.

Had we started 2-6 and ended 6-2 we'd be thinking Super Bowl right now. But, the way we ended was difficult to swallow because the team should have been getting better within the systems and wasn't. This is part flaw with the system and part flaw with the people playing in it. My guess is the players generally feel the primary problem is Zorn himself and Zorn's inability to adjust to what teams were taking away.

haha, c'mon. he gave a quote of support for his teammate.

yeah I think that's really all it is. I'm ecstatic we kept both of em. Rogers is worth more than what we would get - he's turning into a shutdown corner and I hope he continues to improve. The smart thing to do would be to make him the starter (already done) but in nickel packages move him inside because he's our biggest corner. Yes, it leaves Smoot on the outside, but neither him or Hall can play nickel. This is essentially what Springs did for us when healthy.

I hope Campbell really succeeds this year and even if he doesn't I think we've done the right thing. The cost would have hurt the team overall if we traded for Cutler even if it did upgrade at the QB position. I'm excited for the draft. :laugh:

He's not exactly denying that Campbell is a contributing factor to the problems, though.

i don't think anyone is denying that. i'm sure as hell not. campbell has lots of room for improvement but he needs the right tools and more than 1 year in an offensive system

It doesn't negate the fact that the qb position it is one of the problem either. Los is entitled to his opinion and I wouldn't have expected him to say anything other than what he did.As it was metioned by Wvtbred they were college roommates and now pro teammates.What he said was true of course, but it is a bigger issue than maybe he will admit.

Archived