Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Wilson to be used as SLB?(Merged)

corrupt3d

http://blog.redskins.com/2009/04/01/greg-blache-talks-winning-frogs-and-strongside-linebackers/#continued

But there was one interesting tidbit, one that explained Chris Wilson's comment from yesterday that "I'm pretty excited to see how they're gonna use me this year" -- because Blache mentioned that the team was looking at Wilson to potentially help fill the role of strongside linebacker.

"Yeah," Wilson told me, "I'm pretty excited for that. I've played the position before, and it's all stuff that I can do."

Wilson, at 6-4, 246, is similar in size to 6-3, 248 pound Marcus Washington, who played the strongside position last year, so it makes some kind of sense, and he's also known for his speed as a lineman. It's still an experiment at this point, barely more than an idea, but it at least offers a solid glimpse at the team's plans as the 2009 season gets closer.

Wow, that could be an interesting experiment...Wilson is pretty fast.

Not a bad idea to have a guy who can stand up on 1st and 2nd and get down the line on 3rd down, also would be cool to have him rush on 1st and 2nd down while standing up. Not totaly against this but still would like to see a true SAM LB for the 4-3, this is more of a 3-4 type of defense move.

Now we're making use of the talent on our roster....I like this!

Wilson is the size of the typical SLB in the NFL, and he has the speed, also we already know that he can tackle and get after the QB, all that has to be proven is if he can play in space and cover TE's and RB's...

That would be pretty sweet if it worked out and he was at least decent.

But if that was a good fit for him, I'm wondering why he hasn't been a backup OLB all along. It's not as if we just now needed someone other than Marcus.

How will he look trying to cover Jason Witten?

anyway, good post.

Yeah, I can't say I'm against this experiment - it doesn't seem to be a long-term move as of yet. He definitely has the speed, I wonder if he has the fluidity to cover the TE?

I'd expect him to do well with covering the flats though

Yeah, I can't say I'm against this experiment - it doesn't seem to be a long-term move as of yet. He definitely has the speed, I wonder if he has the fluidity to cover the TE?

Yeah, how often has he been asked to drop into pass coverage?

I'd think that coverage is his main liability. But if he can bring a pass rush from the SAM position, I'd think he'd be welcome on our defense.

But I wouldn't want us to think he's the answer and not address the position in the draft. We at least need to bring some guys in to compete for the spot. Right now we have no depth at the position.

Yeah, I can't say I'm against this experiment - it doesn't seem to be a long-term move as of yet. He definitely has the speed, I wonder if he has the fluidity to cover the TE?I'd expect him to do well with covering the flats though

that would be the only question mark in my mind. otherwise, good idea.

If true, I really like this idea. I don't know if it would take away from possibly taking Rey Maualuga with the 13th pick, but definitely a good idea.

My real fear is that we go into the draft thinking we're 'OK' at LB, OT, and DE and draft somebody like a RB. I may like the RB pick, but it'll once again be an example of us not building a strong roster and building our depth in areas where we're weak.

Now we're making use of the talent on our roster....I like this!

Wilson is the size of the typical SLB in the NFL, and he has the speed, also we already know that he can tackle and get after the QB, all that has to be proven is if he can play in space and cover TE's and RB's...

Marcus didn't so i don't see why Wilson would have too.

i remember seeing 1 on 1 with MW and i just shook my head, it should never come to that.

i remember seeing 1 on 1 with MW and i just shook my head, it should never come to that.

Yeah, Marcus, as much as I love the guy, got smoked by Witten in our first game against Dallas.

I'd think that coverage is his main liability. But if he can bring a pass rush from the SAM position, I'd think he'd be welcome on our defense.

But I wouldn't want us to think he's the answer and not address the position in the draft. We at least need to bring some guys in to compete for the spot. Right now we have no depth at the position.

This experiment reminds me of when we tried to move Chris Clemons to WSLB a few years back. I would imagine coverage would be his weak point but with our use of the 'cobra' package in passing situations we may be able to hide his defficiencies in the passing game.

I agree...And I think that Wilson is not going to be doing a lot of covering but he still needs to be able to do it no matter how limited the opportunities may be...

Archived