Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Wilson to be used as SLB?(Merged)

corrupt3d

Finally, some real football talk. And positive talk at that! Great experiement, I like to see the coaches getting creative.

I agree.

I want to see some plays of how he fights of blockers and plays the run. Huge importance in our scheme.

Things going well?

http://blog.redskins.com/2009/04/01/greg-blache-talks-winning-frogs-and-strongside-linebackers/#continued

Wow, that could be an interesting experiment...Wilson is pretty fast.

I like the idea, find away to use the talent already on the team.

If you think back JT55's most effective game was the Philly game when they had him moving around between DE/OLB and simply roaming around the LOS.

If this is a sign that the Redskins defense is ready to develop schemes and coach up young players to fit in a system tailored for them then i'm all for it.

Let's go Chris!!

610x.jpg

TERRIBLE IDEA

i hate the people that run this team

Care to explain your view? Not saying you're wrong I'd just like to hear your case.

A lot of guys make the switch from DE to OLB. JT as already mentioned has bounced around some. In his MVP season I remember reading an article where they called his position "jack" as in "jack of all trades" because he was constantly lining up in different positions. Terrell Suggs has bounced around from DE to 3-4 OLB, I believe he has played 4-3 OLB as well but could be mistaken. Marcus Washington was a college DE before converting to NFL SLB.

Those are the ones that came to me immediately but I'm sure there ar plenty more examples if we want to look into it. I see it as a great way of getting talent onto the field. He's not big enough to play LE in our system, and it doesn't look like he'll be beating our Carter on the right side barring injury. Why not see if he can contribute somewhere else?

Anyone remember Todd Wade

Yeah, lets just stick this who doesn't play this position, into this other position... for the first time. It's not like he'll have a learning curve... its not like this isn't the NFL, where the best players in the world play.

Just throw a guy that doesn't even start as a DE, and compare him to suggs or jason taylor is RIDICULOUS

];6274334']Whoa!

I didn't know you could experiment in Washington.

The last player experiment I remember us running was the Todd Wade conversion to LG experiment. And that failed pretty miserably. :doh:

Oh well, it couldn't hurt to try. The point is we're actually playing around with the younger guys on our roster to see what they can do besides their official positions.

Yeah, lets just stick this who doesn't play this position, into this other position... for the first time. It's not like he'll have a learning curve... its not like this isn't the NFL, where the best players in the world play.

Just throw a guy that doesn't even start as a DE, and compare him to suggs or jason taylor is RIDICULOUS

1. It's an experiment

2. James Harrison - you heard of him? He was drafted as a DE.

Isn't this what most teams that are going to be drafting lineman doing? A majority of the DE in this years draft are being drafted with the intention of moving them to OLB, positions that they never played in college. Based on their size and speed their being sought to play OLB. It's nothing new, we're just doing it with one of our own guys.

As long as he can prove his coverage skills I am all for this!!

The coverage responsibilities of the SAM are probably the easiest and most limited of the back 7. I think he should be able to make the adjustment, especially since he'll probably be used as a pass rusher in likely passing situations.

Our secondary is so deep right now (until we lose Carlos Rogers in a god-awful trade) that we wouldn't have to worry too much about using Wilson in coverage. He can easily be subbed out so that we can go into a 3 safety or 3 corner formation.

Kiwi was also a DE that was moved to LB in NY and he did alright there.

To be honest, I'm surprised that they haven't tried this earlier.

I think we were all in agreement that he should have seen the field more often last year. Maybe Blache had too much on his plate (with simplifying the defense) to think of it last year. But hopefully this works out.

But like I said, I hope that moving Wilson doesn't mean they ignore the position in the draft. If anything else we need more depth at LB in general.

Archived