Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sal Pal on Cowherd. Says Redskins are HIS pick to get Cutler

MarkMissoula

But we can't put superstars at every position. Everyone says that Campbell needs better WRs and a better o-line around him. When the Pats won those 3 Super Bowls who were their WRs? Deion Branch, David Patten, Troy Brown, and David Givens. Those aren't great WRs at all. The fact that everyone is saying JC needs the perfect team around him shows that he just doesn't have what it takes. We can't surround him with the best players at every position. He has to perform with what we have. He has weapons like Moss, Cooley, and Portis around him. Yet he still only had 13 TDs in 16 games.

An O-lineman picking up his block doesn't equal pro-bowl. A WR getting 400-500 yards with 30 catches and 2-3 TD's doesn't equal a pro-bowl.

You need weapons, not superstars. Obviously, we have some weapons, we have some depth, but it needs to come out. Players are still developing here, they're stilling learning the playbook, learning how to grasp the NFL. Chad R, Stephon Heyer, Devin Thomas, Davis, Kelly, these guys need to really STEP UP. If they do, this team could very well comply with ANY QB's needs.

If Cutler came here and played for us last season, that doesn't change the fact that Davis couldn't get on the field, it doesn't change the fact that Kelly injured his knee, that Devin Thomas's touchdown got called back, that Chris injures his arm, that Jansen lost his touch. ECT. ECT.

They were banged up, no doubt about that.

But please stop thinking that I don't think Cooley is an elite TE and better then those TE's there....like I said, Cooley is a beast but in no way does 1 player equal better then 2 players who can do the same thing and are good at it..ya know?

Don't get me wrong here either, Scheffler is a good TE as well, but Cooley right now is on a different level.

I'd take Portis over a 3 back system any day, but again, if you have 3 running backs who can equal or even better Clinton's rushing yards then that's a good thing. Because if one goes down, you can rely on the other. And the NFL seems to be loving the whole "Change of pace" thing going on.

I don't think that you don't think Cooley is not a great TE. I'm just saying its not like JC doesn't have anything to work with on this team. Moss, Cooley, and Ports have all been to the Pro Bowl recently. Yeah our o-line isn't the same as its been in the past. But you can't expect to have stud players at every position. I just feel like Campbell will be a career game manager. He won't lose games for you, but he won't have a big drive in the 4th quarter to win a whole lot for you either. I just think Cutler has the ability to win games for you in the 4th quarter. He has that killer instinct, I'm not sure JC does.

JC's stats against top 10 Defenses:

NYG(5th): 15/27 133 yd 1 TD 0 INT sack 1

Dallas(8th): 20/31 231 yd 2 TD 0 INT sack 2

Philly(3rd): 16/29 176 yd 0 TD 0 INT sack 1

Pitt(1st): 24/43 206 yd 0 TD 2 INT sacks 7

Dallas(8th): 22/34 162 yd 1 TD 1 INT sack 3

NYG(5th): 23/38 232 yd 0 TD 1 INT sack 4

Balt(2nd): 21/37 218 yd 1 TD 2 INT sack 2

Philly(3rd): 18/33 144 yd 0 TD 0 INT sack 3

159/272 (58.5%) 1502 yd 5 TDs 6 INTs sack 23

Campbell played a top 10 defense 8 times in 2008, or half his games. Dallas is the only one of those teams not in the top 5. So Campbell had to play a top 5 defense 6 of his 16 games, just over 1/3.

Also, the list goes in order, so the team only faced 3 top 10 Ds before playing Pitt. 5 of the last 8 games were against top 10 D. 4 of those last 8, or half, were against top 5 Ds. A lot more sacks occurred, obviously, as a result. 4 sacks given up in the first half against top 10 Ds, or 1.33 a game. 19 in second half, or, 3.8 per game.

And here is Cutler's performance against top 10 Defenses in 2008:

Tampa Bay (9th): 23/34 227 yd 1 TD 0 INT sack 0

New England (10th): 17/26 168 yd 1 TD 2 INT sack 2

40/60 (66%) 395 yd 2 TD 2 INT sack 2

So Cutler faced just 2 Top 10 Defenses all season, and they were 9th and 10th.

The differences between their respective divisions alone are staggering. Campbell faced much, much more difficult defenses than Cutler did, and many more times as well.

JC's stats against top 10 Defenses:

yada yada

159/272 (58.5%) 1502 yd 5 TDs 6 INTs sack 23

Campbell played a top 10 defense 8 times in 2008, or half his games. Dallas is the only one of those teams not in the top 5. So Campbell had to play a top 5 defense 6 of his 16 games, just over 1/3.

And here is Cutler's performance against top 10 Defenses in 2008:

Tampa Bay (9th): 23/34 227 yd 1 TD 0 INT sack 0

New England (10th): 17/26 168 yd 1 TD 2 INT sack 2

40/60 (66%) 395 yd 2 TD 2 INT sack 2

So Cutler faced just 2 Top 10 Defenses all season, and they were 9th and 10th.

Cutler didn't really play enough to warrant a comparison, but you could take JC's two best games or 2 worst games.

Anyway, it's a waste of time because only the media and extremeskins have created a buzz about Cutler to the Redskins. I don't think Danny Boy is reading this and letting us decide. I'm sure he's already decided... and it WON'T happen...

I still don't see how Cutler would be an upgrade. I'd rather have Sanchez.

No one would know if we had Cutler would we have won some of those games. The point is, even with Cutler behind center, you need an Oline who can play 16 games supporting him, and we don't have that.

Except for Clady, Denver's O line was no better than ours. Cutler's ability allowed Shanahan to do more planning to avoid the rush -- rollouts to either side, boots, etc.. It's the same advantage Dallas has with Romo sits to pee, only better.

elkabong, I see what you are saying. But Campbell's games against bad defenses weren't that great either.

Saints: 24/36 321 1TD

Cardinals: 22/30 193 2TDs

Rams: 18/26 208 0TDs

Browns: 14/23 164 1TD

Lions: 23/28 328 1TD

Seahawks: 20/33 206 1TD

Bengals: 17/28 167 1TD

If you take away the Saints games and the Lions game (everyone had a career game against the Lions last year), those numbers don't look overly impressive. He did have a solid game against the Cardinals but that's it. He didn't really do anything special against some of the worst defenses in the league. I want a QB who will be more than average at best.

Cutler didn't really play enough to warrant a comparison, but you could take JC's two best games or 2 worst games.

Anyway, it's a waste of time because only the media and extremeskins have created a buzz about Cutler to the Redskins. I don't think Danny Boy is reading this and letting us decide. I'm sure he's already decided... and it WON'T happen...

I still don't see how Cutler would be an upgrade. I'd rather have Sanchez.

I agree Cutler didn't face enough top defenses to warrant a comparison, but mine was done in order to drive home the point about the difference in level of competition the two faced, and to maybe give people a better appreciation for why TDs were hard to come by for us, and easy to for the Broncos. Only 6 INTs despite that many difficult defenses is impressive, I don;t care how some try and twist it.

I too don't think this trade is going to happen.

Agreed it's a waste of time discussing it any more cuz it's not likely to happen, and I believe the stats I put up should also show that we have no idea how Cutler would have done here because the level of competition he faced in Denver was nothing like what Campbell faced here. Sadly, many confuse speculation and opinion-feeding assumptions as fact, so it won;t and the circus will go on.

"QB Friendly:" Talented receivers, lots of shotgun and possession-type throws, the RBs used more as outlets rather than in pass protection... that's hitting the high spots.

Talented WRs: Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley...Check

QB in the Shotgun: Don't have percentages, but if memory serves me, Cutler was in the Shotgun the majority of the time (here is even and article on Denver's Shotgun offense)...Check

RBs used more as outlets: Here is the major gap b/w Patriots offense vs. Broncos...RBs only caught 43 balls last year, I would be willing to atribute this to the revolving door and having to use back ups not know for their hands out of the backfield rather than scheme...

Regardless, I think its quite stretch to say that Denver's offense is not "QB Friendly" as you say.

Bottomline, as much as you are infatuated by Cutler, saying he is the most talented QB in the NFL is simply not true. He doesn't come close to Manning, Brady or Brees.

The Denver Examiner says he is going to the 49ers for Alex Smith, a 1st round and 3rd round this year and a 2nd in 2010. I assume Alex will warm the bench with Chris Simms and cash his big checks and Denver will draft a QB or Sign Jeff Garcia.

http://www.denverexaminer.problitz.com/sports/broncos/20090401-Cutler-Trade.html

Is this true or fake :hysterical: :mad:

elkabong, I see what you are saying. But Campbell's games against bad defenses weren't that great either.

Saints: 24/36 321 1TD

Cardinals: 22/30 193 2TDs

Rams: 18/26 208 0TDs

Browns: 14/23 164 1TD

Lions: 23/28 328 1TD

Seahawks: 20/33 206 1TD

Bengals: 17/28 167 1TD

If you take away the Saints games and the Lions game (everyone had a career game against the Lions last year), those numbers don't look overly impressive. He did have a solid game against the Cardinals but that's it. He didn't really do anything special against some of the worst defenses in the league. I want a QB who will be more than average at best.

You have to take pass attempts into consideration. It's not very common for a QB to throw for 300 yards and 3+ TDs on just 23 attempts (example from Browns game). The run game was leaned heavily upon in the first half of the season. This is why JCs attempts typically are in the 20's. Then you get to the second half of the season, the run game isn't what it was, CP for the most part can't get 100 yards rushing, and Campbell winds up throwing more, most games his attempts were in the 30's.

Also, even against the bad defenses you list, Campbell was sacked 14 times, or 2 times per game. In fact, Cincy was the only game all season where Campbell wasn't sacked.

Also, it should be mentioned that while the run game and pass game help each other out, run blocking and pass blocking are 2 different things. I've seen some claim that our OL wasn't bad because our run game did so well. Our run game, just like everything else, tapered off in the 2nd half, but again, just because an OL run blocks well doesn't mean they are doing well in pass protection.

I'll just say this, teams have different mentalities. Denver builds thier team to be more offense based. Meaning the have more play makers on offense. We do the Opposite we have alot more talented playsers on defense. I'm not making excuses either way.

I am a JC supporter but, we Cutler produced more since he has been the league I get that. I also realize that he has a much better O-line, they have more than one option at WR, and they just throw anyone in at running back and they seem to be average. Of course thier defense sucked thier offense was stacked.

for us we have a very good defense we all know that. Lets look at the O. One good WR as of now (Rookies haven't proved anything yet though I think they will) and sometimes its like he isn't even there. Our O-line has constant talks with the Grim Reeper about thier time left. Our TE has to stay in on alot of packages so he can help our incapable O-line block. The one thing we got is a great RB. portis is a beast. He gets beat up so badly though its no wonder he runs out of gas by mid season and we do not a good backup for him.

Really I just think its two teams building thier teams two different ways. If Cutler were to come here I wouldn't expect him to be successful with our O and our scheme which is different than Denvers.

To be honest I would rather we give Colt a shot before Culter atleast he has idea what the offense looks like what the team needs from him.

Either way just say no to Cutler. JC or Colt preferably JC.

I'll just say this, teams have different mentalities. Denver builds thier team to be more offense based. Meaning the have more play makers on offense. We do the Opposite we have alot more talented playsers on defense. I'm not making excuses either way.

We've got a lot of playmakers on offense, too. RB, WR, OL, TE... is QB our weak link on offense?

8 of the top 10 defenses, ouch. I knew we played a lot, but that is excessive. Regardless, I think this brings up an interesting question. How did other QBs fair against top 10 defenses?

Ben Roethlisberger did allright.

Joe Flacco did well.

Kerry Collins was good.

The Manning Brothers both weathered the storm.

Kurt Warner... I think we all know how that ended.

I suppose this is as appropriate place to ask as any. Are the people who are expecting a blcokbuster trade for Cutler wrong? I mean sure Cutler's been to a Pro Bowl. But Cassel led the Pats to a better record in a tougher division with less experience. As a franchise player he would have required two first rounders but in the actual trade it took throwing in one of their linebackers(Vrabel?) to get a second rounder. So there's less chance of Cutler being a one year wonder I imagine, but he might also have less upside.

So maybe they jsut get one player, sort of like Schroeder for Lachey. Or a player and a lower round pick.

Also does anyone wonder if this will make it harder for the Skins to trade down, since the Broncos pick right before them.

Archived