Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm going to be a dad!!!!!!!!!!!

praise_gibbs

My advice: don't get married.

If he was 19, that maybe good advice. But at 25, you kind of have a better idea of where you are at in life, what you want, and have experience a lot more than at 19.

I got married weeks before turning 26 earlier this year. The maturity level I am at 25/26 is lightening years ahead from where I was at 19.

I'm sure him and his girl have talked about it extensively.

Congrats dude, and since this is so fresh I'm gonna need some advice for the L&D setup. My wife has just a couple weeks left till Gracie is here and I've been told to bring some things with me. Pillows, blankets, towels, infant carseat, change of clothes for all three of us, Nintendo DS/PSP for when my wife is sleeping waiting to get to 10cm...anything else? Anything I should be prepped for? Any advice would help, thanks.

Congrats man...when did it all really sink in for you? I'm curious, because my wife is at the 4-5 month stage and it still hasn't really hit me yet.

For me it was just a few weeks ago, I had already finished setting up the room, we have a room full of presents....but when you can feel her hands and feet on her stomach, not just kicks but actually feel her pushing to get more room, it'll be one of those moments man.

Congrats dude, and since this is so fresh I'm gonna need some advice for the L&D setup. My wife has just a couple weeks left till Gracie is here and I've been told to bring some things with me. Pillows, blankets, towels, infant carseat, change of clothes for all three of us, Nintendo DS/PSP for when my wife is sleeping waiting to get to 10cm...anything else? Anything I should be prepped for? Any advice would help, thanks.

My fiance packed her things with the babies things in her deluxe baby bag. Mainly clothes, pacifier (she absolutely hates the hospital ones and likes the orthopidic ones), baby wipes.

I don't know how far you live from the hospital in regards to you packing clothes, towels and much else. I live down the road so I can run home and shower and change clothes.

I had the carseat in my car before heading to the hospital. As it turned out, my daughter was 9 days past her expected delivery date, so I had the car seat just about 2 weeks prior to yesterday.

Have everything ready and early! Even if you have the best memory in the world. Its very easy to forget something.

My girl was in severe pain in the delivery room so I didn't get much sleep, if any. The DS would be a real good thing when she does fall asleep. I couldn't promise you that she will though. Depends on her pain level, her choice of meds (my fiance wantd to avoid an epidoral at all costs but eventually decided to get one). She just had some morphine initially.

I can promise you no sleep but I can't promise you leisure time. :)

All in all, bring comfortable clothes (jogging pants, sweat pants, pajama pants, whatever you find comfortable that isn't jeans lol), you are going to want to be comfortable because you could be in there for a while. Also, bring slippers or sneakers that are comfortable as well. I did a lot of standing next to her bed and the heels of my feet were so sore. I'd even go as far as gel pad inserts or something. Sure it isn't completely necessary but, you will be happy you brought them.

For her, I would recommend Tucks witch hazel hemorrhoidal pads. Its basically a medicated pad for soothing, cooling, and comforting your lady after delivery. My fiance, her sister and sister in law swear by them.

Also, definitely bring a Boppy pillow for feeding. Whether she is gonna breastfeed, bottle feed or both, it makes a world of difference for the both of you.

Hope this helps some. Keep in mind that hospitals are different and have different procedures. And may also supply different items for the baby and your lady. So, you might not have to pack as much or you may have to pack more than I suggested.

For us, it was just easier to pack too much than not enough.

Just a question, is she going to breast feed or bottle feed?

Some women physically can't, others may choose not to bc their lifestyle (work or travel or something) won't allow, and others just don't want to.

Let me rephrase, why wouldn't a woman breast feed if she COULD physically? Lifestyle - work/travel? So you NEVER see the baby? Why wouldn't you just breast feed when you are around the baby to be even more certain to establish a close connection if you are away so much?

Then there are the just don't want to's...WHY THE HECK NOT!?!??!

Much like Ren suggested, the moms lifestyle (work schedule, school schedule, etc) can make it difficult for breast feeding or pumping. Obviously the dad can not breastfeed the baby (unless you follow suit in Meet the Fockers LOL) so, it may be easier to just use formula.

My fiance will continue to breast feed but will also pump so I can feed the baby as well. I know, personally, watching my lady feed the baby, I was feeling left out. And not because my baby was on her boobs lol! But because feeding the baby is an experience in itself, its bonding in a sense.

I feed my daughter formula early this morning because she wasn't getting enough milk because the mom doesn't produce milk until atleast 3 days or so. Some times earlier. Its just colustrum (sp?) which is still good for the baby but it might not be enough at first.

Once she was bottle fed and burped, she was full and slept until her next feeding (so from 630a-830a).

Until then, she was hungry even though she was breastfeeding and woke up like every 5mins.

The nurses coming in and poking at her all the time doesn't help lol

Let me rephrase, why wouldn't a woman breast feed if she COULD physically? Lifestyle - work/travel? So you NEVER see the baby? Why wouldn't you just breast feed when you are around the baby to be even more certain to establish a close connection if you are away so much?

Then there are the just don't want to's...WHY THE HECK NOT!?!??!

It's not that easy. Many babies don't respond to breast milk, and simply don't eat.

This happened with our first. We went as long as we could until the Dr. told us to try formula, and he ate like a pig. Subsequent attempts to try breastfeeding all failed. He simply wasn't interested, at all.

New parents with frazzled nerves and a hungry screaming infant- let's see how long you might last if its your kid. I give you about 3 minutes before you're making a bottle :)

Our second child had an intolerance to breast milk and cow-based milk as well. She's been on soy formula, its the only thing she can digest.

Now that's not to mention all the medical reasons that would prevent breastfeeding, which are very common. We don't realize how much modern technology and medicine helps us out. The odds of having a complication-free pregnancy and childbirth, followed by a healthy baby who breastfeeds normally are very slight. If you read a lot of history you'll see how common it was for men to be widowers or couples who lost children in childbirth or soon after, etc. - it was a very common occurence and part of life.

It's not that easy. Many babies don't respond to breast milk, and simply don't eat.

This happened with our first. We went as long as we could until the Dr. told us to try formula, and he ate like a pig. Subsequent attempts to try breastfeeding all failed. He simply wasn't interested, at all.

New parents with frazzled nerves and a hungry screaming infant- let's see how long you might last if its your kid. I give you about 3 minutes before you're making a bottle :)

Our second child had an intolerance to breast milk and cow-based milk as well. She's been on soy formula, its the only thing she can digest.

Now that's not to mention all the medical reasons that would prevent breastfeeding, which are very common. We don't realize how much modern technology and medicine helps us out. The odds of having a complication-free pregnancy and childbirth, followed by a healthy baby who breastfeeds normally are very slight. If you read a lot of history you'll see how common it was for men to be widowers or couples who lost children in childbirth or soon after, etc. - it was a very common occurence and part of life.

Those are all great reason as to why you can't PHYSICALLY breast feed. I guess I never realized how many complications people had. All the stories in my family and my wifes family about breast feeding and child birth have all been "normal" as far as we were all breast fed, no complications etc. Perhpas we were just fortunate.

But my point was, why wouldn't couples WANT to breast feed. The benefits of being physically ABLE to breast feed outweigh any thought of NOT breast feeding IF possible.

My fiance packed her things with the babies things in her deluxe baby bag. Mainly clothes, pacifier (she absolutely hates the hospital ones and likes the orthopidic ones), baby wipes.

I don't know how far you live from the hospital in regards to you packing clothes, towels and much else. I live down the road so I can run home and shower and change clothes.

I had the carseat in my car before heading to the hospital. As it turned out, my daughter was 9 days past her expected delivery date, so I had the car seat just about 2 weeks prior to yesterday.

Have everything ready and early! Even if you have the best memory in the world. Its very easy to forget something.

My girl was in severe pain in the delivery room so I didn't get much sleep, if any. The DS would be a real good thing when she does fall asleep. I couldn't promise you that she will though. Depends on her pain level, her choice of meds (my fiance wantd to avoid an epidoral at all costs but eventually decided to get one). She just had some morphine initially.

I can promise you no sleep but I can't promise you leisure time. :)

All in all, bring comfortable clothes (jogging pants, sweat pants, pajama pants, whatever you find comfortable that isn't jeans lol), you are going to want to be comfortable because you could be in there for a while. Also, bring slippers or sneakers that are comfortable as well. I did a lot of standing next to her bed and the heels of my feet were so sore. I'd even go as far as gel pad inserts or something. Sure it isn't completely necessary but, you will be happy you brought them.

For her, I would recommend Tucks witch hazel hemorrhoidal pads. Its basically a medicated pad for soothing, cooling, and comforting your lady after delivery. My fiance, her sister and sister in law swear by them.

Also, definitely bring a Boppy pillow for feeding. Whether she is gonna breastfeed, bottle feed or both, it makes a world of difference for the both of you.

Hope this helps some. Keep in mind that hospitals are different and have different procedures. And may also supply different items for the baby and your lady. So, you might not have to pack as much or you may have to pack more than I suggested.

For us, it was just easier to pack too much than not enough.

Just a question, is she going to breast feed or bottle feed?

Thx, copying and pasting into a .docx to bring back to the house. Definitely breast feeding, may switch to a pump after awhile, but I know she is adamant about breast feeding. She wants to make sure she bonds with Gracie, and it also helps in dropping baby weight. Why do you ask?

Also, to the next poster, some people don't also for pain reasons, and pumps are expensive too. One of our friends children were born with a nub of a tooth right in front....she made it through the pain, i don't know how though, that'd hurt dude.

Thx, copying and pasting into a .docx to bring back to the house. Definitely breast feeding, may switch to a pump after awhile, but I know she is adamant about breast feeding. She wants to make sure she bonds with Gracie, and it also helps in dropping baby weight. Why do you ask?

Also, to the next poster, some people don't also for pain reasons, and pumps are expensive too. One of our friends children were born with a nub of a tooth right in front....she made it through the pain, i don't know how though, that'd hurt dude.

Again, these are physical hurdles that make it intolerable or just unable to breast feed.

But I know there are people who DON'T WANT TO...which is what my question is.

Congrats Rob!! I lost your number, if I hadn't I'd give you a call to say congrats in person. Anyway, I'm glad everything went well, and best of luck in the future.

It just hit me Monday, that my girl and I are only 3 months away from our little girl being born. It seems like just a month ago I found out. So crazy how time flies. I'm excited though.

Again, these are physical hurdles that make it intolerable or just unable to breast feed.

But I know there are people who DON'T WANT TO...which is what my question is.

I gotcha, couldn't say, everyone I know thinks its a necessary to form that bond. I don't know any off the top of my head that just plain don't want to.

I gotcha, couldn't say, everyone I know thinks its a necessary to form that bond. I don't know any off the top of my head that just plain don't want to.

Right on. But I have heard of woman who don't want to, and not b/c of any physical hurddles. It just boggles my mind. I am hoping someone here knows of someone and the reasons.

Archived