Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spread the Word to End the Word (The "R-Word")

Larry Brown #43

I always find it strange and disturbing how often I hear kids and adults alike use the word "retard" (or tard, or some other variation) as an insult.

Particularly in this day and age, and in our society. We're constantly reminded to respect the cultural differences, sexual orientation, etc. of others. Yet it remains almost perfectly acceptable to call someone a "retard."

Imagine for a moment that you had a child who happened to be mentally challenged. Then imagine how hurtful it would be to hear a bunch of ignorant kids frivolously throwing around the word "retard" in conversation.

I'm not here to call anyone out. I'm sure I've used the word in the past myself, so I'm not here to criticize anyone. But I do want to put forth a challenge.

Here on Extremeskins, and in your own personal life...from here on, in a situation where you might ordinarily use that word, stop for a moment and try to think of another way to express yourself.

Of all the groups of people on the planet, who could be less deserving of having an insult directed at them?

I was glad to see that the Special Olympics has started a campaign to educate people about why it's not ok to use the word: www.r-word.org

Disagree how? You feel it should be ok to call people retards?

Yeah. Don't see why not.

Someone wouldn't mind calling me retarded in a heartbeat. Why should I care about anyone else's feelings?

I wouldn't call an actual mentally handicapped person a retard. What kind of person do you think I am?

When you go on a crusade for women and tell guys to stop using the word "****" or stand up for black people and help get rid of the n word, then we'll talk.

Until then, I'll be as insensitive as I want to. Not everything should be taken so seriously, ya know.

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know how/why this term should escape attack from the anti-politically correct crowd?

FWIW, I'm not advocating the use of the term, though I've been known to use it on occasion myself. Rather, I'd just like to know what the difference is in the mind of a certain group of folks because pretty much any argument that can be made against race/sex/etc. based PC speech can also be made against what the OP is advocating.

[insert munchout smilie here]

When you go on a crusade for women and tell guys to stop using the word "****" or stand up for black people and help get rid of the n word, then we'll talk.

This is kind of my point...society constantly reminds us not to use words such as the "N" word (and rightly so). Yet it's perfectly ok to say "retard." Makes no sense to me.

This is kind of my point...society constantly reminds us not to use words such as the "N" word (and rightly so). Yet it's perfectly ok to say "retard." Makes no sense to me.

There's a recent crusade against using the word gay but not "retard".

Why? Perhaps just not enough people are objecting. Perhaps those that should be truly offended are not because of their deficiencies or simply are not bringing up the use of the word and how it affects others enough.

It's a word that is derogatory and meant as an insult. I'm not sure any one of acceptable maturity uses it to put down those that are mentally retarded. It's a way to tell people that they or their decision was not wise. Therefore they are retarded.

I think it has to do with growing up in a time where the mentally handicapped aren't really called "retarded" anymore. I don't think anyone is purposefully trying to be insensitive to the mentally handicapped and their challenge. It's just that words and their meanings change over time. For me the word retard means extremely stupid, not mentally handicapped.

The definition of retard is as follows:

1. to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.

Nothing about mentally retarded people in there.

Dude. That's the VERB "to retard." That's a regular word. The noun "retard" is not even in the dictionary because it's a slang insult. Dumbass. :)

well, at least that much we can agree on.

Oh please.

Which high horse are you on?

I'm so sick and tired of you holier than thou's thinking less of others because they don't agree with you and aren't living their lives to be perfect SAINTS.. Boo hoo hoo.

Well said LB 43.

I have been guilty of it in the past, no doubt. I think it was a year or two ago someone on ES pointed out how deragotory a word it is and I have made an effort not to use it going forward.

I still slip up from time to time, and I should know better.

Well said LB 43.

I have been guilty of it in the past, no doubt. I think it was a year or two ago someone on ES pointed out how deragotory a word it is and I have made an effort not to use it going forward.

I still slip up from time to time, and I should know better.

Thanks zoony. I'm sure 99% of us have used it with some regularity in the past (including myself), so I'm not judging anyone for it. Just wanted to give folks something to think about going forward.

Maybe I can't understand where you're coming from because I'm not mentally retarded. I don't know..

I'm overweight, right? I don't get offended when someone calls someone else fat or fatass. But that's probably not the same thing. I do get pretty pissed if someone says that to me..

I will ponder this thread for awhile. Your position just isn't clicking for me right now.

EDIT: And I beg anyone who thinks "I post my life on ES for everyone to read" to please PM me and we'll talk about it. Thanks.

Disagree, sort of.

I think we're too damn sensitive as a human race, really.

Good thread. I try not to use the word, but sometimes do. I'm trying to just get in the habit of calling the dumbasses instead.

Dumbass.:evilg::saber:

Dumbass.:evilg::saber:

:saber:

Dumbass. :)

:dunce:

LB, some people just aren't worth arguing with.

In this case, that person is TJ.

He's perfectly content being a dumbass.

He's perfectly content being a dumbass.

Hey.. if it works, it works.:cool2:

And forgive me for not crucifying someone for using the word retard.

I suppose this means I have no morals and that I'm an insensitive prick. :rolleyes:

I suppose this means I have no morals and that I'm an insensitive prick. :rolleyes:

well, at least that much we can agree on.

Exactly.

Dumbass.

Oh please.

Which high horse are you on?

I'm so sick and tired of you holier than thou's thinking less of others because they don't agree with you and aren't living their lives to be perfect SAINTS.. Boo hoo hoo.

Oh. poor TJ who lives his life on ES for all the world to read....you offended?

Someone didn't read the OP...dumbass. :)

:chair:

No. Why would I be?

I find it pretty retarded that people can think someone is less of a person for using the word retard.

Oh.. and if you got a personal issue with someone on the internet, then maybe you should calm down.

How about this. TJ or Dictator or whoever else would like to constantly spam and bicker, knock it off. Pronto.

Thanks.

You got it.

How about this. TJ or Dictator or whoever else would like to constantly spam and bicker, knock it off. Pronto.

Thanks.

Damn, Zoony off deleting posts...

Dumbass.

Holy crap what just happened?

Holy crap what just happened?

Epic zoony consolidation post.

Epic zoony consolidation post.

Huh, never seen one of those before. Well done Zoony.

alrighty then.

I agree with the OP. I have been guilty of this, but I've made a conscious effort to rid my vocabulary of this word, and I've even nudged a few ES members in that direction in the recent past.

There really is no reason to disparage a group of people who have done nothing to you in the interest of insulting someone else. With an overabundance of derrogatory terms are our disposal, I don't see why a third party needs to be caught in the crossfire.

So next time you want to call someone something consider using the following:

Douchelord, ****wad, nimrod, dip****, butthead, ***hole, candyass, loser, jackass, jerk, etc.

The one flaw with this that bothers me is that the reason society has pushed against using the n-bomb as derogatory, or using gay as derogatory, is that in order to do so you have to imply that being those things is inherently bad. In other words, if you use racial slurs as insults, what you're saying is that it's inherently inferior to be a certain race. Same for sexual orientation.

But mental handicaps... I mean, those are bad things. There's no way around it. That's not saying that anyone with a handicap should be treated differently, or viewed as somehow less of a person than the rest of us, but there's a reason we call it a "handicap." And the whole point of the insult is to suggest that someone else has that same sort of handicap. It's not quite the same as a culturally-created prejudice that promotes bigotry and the belief in biological flaws which simply don't exist, which is what racial and sexual insults are all about.

There really is no reason to disparage a group of people who have done nothing to you in the interest of insulting someone else. With an overabundance of derrogatory terms are our disposal, I don't see why a third party needs to be caught in the crossfire.

Very well put.

But mental handicaps... I mean, those are bad things. There's no way around it...It's not quite the same as a culturally-created prejudice that promotes bigotry and the belief in biological flaws which simply don't exist, which is what racial and sexual insults are all about.

Yeah, mental handicaps are bad things, which people suffer from through no fault of their own. So to insult someone by hitting an already suffering innocent bystander in the process (as midnight judges eloquently put it above) is not very cool.

Of course, hick, or hillbilly, are both fine. Along with redneck ,(many different kinds of whitey) which will always be acceptable.;)

Seriously though, all of these so-called, "hurtful expressions" bring to mind one of the first sayings I recall learning.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

Much bigger fish to fry, IMO.

Archived