Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo RI: Griffin Restructures

Rypien1191

Still dont think there is room for AH unless Springs and or JT are gone...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2009/02/griffin_restructuring_nearly_d.html

Griffin Restructuring Nearly Done

Jason Reid reports:

Just got off the phone with my partner in crime, Jason La Canfora, who told me the Redskins have almost completed the restructuring of Cornelius Griffin's contract, according to one of our league sources.

Jason has been reporting for weeks that the Skins would soon complete their annual restructuring of some contracts to help their cap situation, and Griffin joins Chris Samuels, Andre Carter and Antwaan Randle El in receiving new deals.

The Skins, however, still do not have a lot of room under the cap, though they could create more space - perhaps as much as $10 million - before the free agent market opens on Friday. Would that enable them to make a big splash in free agency? Could they sign someone such as Albert Haynesworth? From everyone we've spoken with inside and outside of Redskins Park, we expect things to become clearer soon.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2009/02/griffin_restructuring_nearly_d.html

Jason Reid reports:

Just got off the phone with my partner in crime, Jason La Canfora, who told me the Redskins have almost completed the restructuring of Cornelius Griffin's contract, according to one of our league sources.

Jason has been reporting for weeks that the Skins would soon complete their annual restructuring of some contracts to help their cap situation, and Griffin joins Chris Samuels, Andre Carter and Antwaan Randle El in receiving new deals.

The Skins, however, still do not have a lot of room under the cap, though they could create more space - perhaps as much as $10 million - before the free agent market opens on Friday. Would that enable them to make a big splash in free agency? Could they sign someone such as Albert Haynesworth? From everyone we've spoken with inside and outside of Redskins Park, we expect things to become clearer soon.

No kidding JLC. FA starts this Friday.

Surprised that Griff is a target for restructuring.

I'm beginning to think that a Haynesworth contract will be very backloaded.

Same here and if that's true it's the only way I can get on board with signing Haynesworth.

But part of me still thinks that would make too much sense for our FO. I've almost completely lost faith. :mad:

theyre gonna try to trade spring first and if that doesnt work there gonna end up cutting him..dont worry

These rumours about Hayensworth make it even harder to get anything for Springs. Teams will know, or think they know, that we need to create cap space to sign him and maybe Hall as well. They will reason that we will have to cut him anyway so why not wait until he becomes a free agent rather than give up a pick.

I think we end up just cutting Springs to get the $6M cap space.

agreed. I wonder if designating Springs as a June 1st cut will save us even more money.

6/1 cuts don't mean anything anymore, as the last CBA (the one that we are currently under) removed almost all the meaning out of and the penalties of cutting a player after that date.

agreed. I wonder if designating Springs as a June 1st cut will save us even more money.

The June 1 designation is something you use to spread a cap hit you take by cutting a player and spreading it over two years. With Springs we get a $6M cap saving not a cap hit so no need to even think about June 1 in this context.

Second with this being the last year of the current CBA and the last capped year you can't use the June 1 rule anyway.

Don't see it happening. If we're trying to re-sign Hall, no way we can sign both or else I don't even think we could sign our own draft picks. Maybe it's just denial, but ugh, please no. Give me Canty, Hall, and Maualuga.

I agree with 2 of these but I hope we trade down and get a very good OL and another LB with the 2nd pick.

At some point the front office is going to have to start biting the salary cap bullet. Why do you think we HAVE to hang onto Jansen despite his bloated contract and lagging on-field performances? Because we restructured his deal again and again. Why we continue to do so with other aging vets is beyond me.

Oh, and banking on the owners opting out of the CBA isn't a smart move in my mind. We should proceed as though we will continue to operate under a cap.

If we trade Springs would we be responsible for some portion or all of this contract?

No. He is in the last year of his deal with us so if we cut him or trade him he is off the books and we save the $6M base salary we are carrying against the cap right now.

Jason Reid reports:

No matter who the Redskins restructure this guy doesn't think the Redskins have much room. With a new CBA on the way who knows how things end up

dont think there is the june 1st anymore bro because of the cba . but with springs , they are not talking trade at all

Correct. The designated June 1 cuts were because its beneficial to both the team and the player. They allowed it last year as kind of a concession since there are no special rules for post-June 1 cuts this year.

Archived