Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama smokes cigs and trying to quit?

pmd1856

I smoked cigs in while in high school and college. I wish that I knew then how bad I smelled after smoking a cigarette and walking indoors, especially after it just rained. I'm assuming this based on what every smoker I encounter smells like after going on a break to smoke a butt.

But this is about Obama - he can smoke cigs if he wants to, but he should be setting a better example. At least he doesn't do it on camera!

Congrats on quitting and sustaining it. I think quitting is not the same degree of difficulty for different people. If you quite 20 years ago then you were probably in your 20s which means you weren't an addict for all that long. Obama has been an addict for 20-30 years. I think that makes it a lot harder. Of course he brought that on himself, so no excuses there really.

But I think there are also hereditary factors that might make it more difficult for some folks to quit.

smoked from 8 yo to 28, tried quiting (did quit) several times. The reason I said "if I can do it..." relates to my being a recovering alcoholic and addict. Now what KOA said is true, I probably got a lot of help quitting smoking from 12 step programs. There are some very good prescription drugs to quit smoking with now. One of them blocks neuro receptors from receiving nicotine.

"A great challenge for neuroscientists is to piece together the myriad chemical and molecular alterations that occur in the brain in response to addictive drugs, with the goal of developing more effective treatments. One of the biggest advances in the past decade is the understanding that many drugs of abuse, ranging from nicotine to heroin, share common targets at the neurochemical, molecular and anatomical level. It is now known that enduring neuroadaptations occur that far outlast the initial acute effects of the drug. Such adaptations are believed to underlie the compulsive drug-seeking behavior and tendency to relapse in recovering individuals1. In the April 15 issue of the Journal of Neuroscience, Schoffelmeer et al.2 have added an additional piece to this puzzle. The authors report that nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs) seem to be centrally involved in the neuroadaptations induced by amphetamine and cocaine. These receptors, which normally respond to the neurotransmitter acetylcho-line, mediate the effects of nicotine. This study suggests that endogenous acetylcholine release and consequent AChR activation may contribute to the process of addiction for many drugs of abuse.

Brain regions and circuits involved in processes such as emotion, cognition, motivation and control of voluntary actions contain high levels of dopamine and glutamate, the neurotransmitter systems that are currently believed to be major common targets for drugs of abuse. Forebrain regions involved in these processes are innervated by the mesolimbic dopamine system, which arises primarily from the ventral tegmental area in the midbrain. Glutamate is the main neurotransmitter in long associative pathways that link these regions (Fig. 1). These neurotransmitter systems and particularly their D-1 and NMDA (N-methyl-d-aspartate) receptor subtypes appear to have a critical role in shaping synaptic configurations that accompany learning, memory and reward processes3. The three drugs under study in the current report—nicotine, amphetamine and cocaine—have all been shown to increase dopamine and glutamate levels in critical brain regions."

You have my permission to kill me off if I get too expensive for ya:D

I think it was Larry who posted some statistics on how many people cigs kill off before they can draw social security.

So smoking is probably not as expensive to society as most think. B/c you have to weigh health costs against what they don't draw from social security / retirement / etc.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em fellas :D

I think it was Larry who posted some statistics on how many people cigs kill off before they can draw social security.

So smoking is probably not as expensive to society as most think. B/c you have to weigh health costs against what they don't draw from social security / retirement / etc.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em fellas :D

It IS Friday. :chug: smoking-smiley-5437.gif

I'm not sure why it should care to anyone? For one ,he's a grown ass man if he wants to smoke cigrettes then he has that right.

Just because you CAN do something does not mean you SHOULD do something.

Yes he can but he should set a better example for his kids, and the nation. His health should be important to make sure he can focus completely on his job.

I'm not sure why it should care to anyone? For one ,he's a grown ass man if he wants to smoke cigrettes then he has that right.

You should really read any of the threads on smoking on ES. Some people think smokers should be treated like german jews in the 40's.

Edit: Its actually kind of funny watching some of the people that have chastised smokers in the past defend Obama, because, well, he's Obama. :D

Landlord can say you can't have pets in your unit.

Doesn't mean the State of California has banned pets indoors.

I know that you cant smoke anywhere inside in CA.

I know certain cities down here have banned smoking in public period.

thats what I know.

oh yah, you ugly head!! :silly:

I know that you cant smoke anywhere inside in CA.

I know certain cities down here have banned smoking in public period.

thats what I know.

oh yah, you ugly head!! :silly:

You can smoke inside your own house or apartment or whatever. You can't smoke in any office building or public accomodation.

Say Mike, I found your High School Yearbook Portrait....

baboonpinkbutteu3.jpg

You can smoke inside your own house or apartment or whatever. You can't smoke in any office building or public accomodation.

Say Mike, I found your High School Yearbook Portrait....

they have no-smoking complexes and its not against the law to do so.

how did you get rid of this skin problem you had?

enemykr8.jpg

Not in SOME;) places...Sheezzzz lawyers:silly:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,300658,00.html

Prohibitions on smoking in parks and other public places will take effect in 30 days. The ordinance's most hotly contested elements — which ban smoking inside apartments and condominiums — won't be enforced for another 14 months.

Which by my math should start being enforced now unless they came to their senses.

also banned in private residences used in daycare and personal vehicles with a minor

Hell there are even cities that do not allow smoking lounges in cigar shops:rolleyes:

Not sure if Hawaii condos endorsed this one or not

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2007/05/29/news/story05.html

The Coalition for a Tobacco-Free Hawaii, which spearheaded the controversial Smoke-Free Workplaces law, now wants to extend smoke-free regulations into Hawaii's condominiums, apartments and townhouse units.

The coalition is not planning to push for a state law banning smoking in isle condo and apartment units, but it is preparing a campaign to show landlords and multifamily housing boards how to pass their own regulations under current laws.

Umm? That's news to this Californian.
Yep, I live right near Belmont.

Of course the law has been in place for some time now and I have yet to see or hear of anyone getting cited. The coffee shop I go to around here now just has a giant pile of cigarette butts where the ashtray used to be.

Yep, I live right near Belmont.

Of course the law has been in place for some time now and I have yet to see or hear of anyone getting cited. The coffee shop I go to around here now just has a giant pile of cigarette butts where the ashtray used to be.

Maybe they treat it like illegal immigration:D

I know in SD they were a pain in the ass about smoking,and I have no wish to explore the rest

I got Obama's back here...light em up if ya got em.:cool:

Just because you CAN do something does not mean you SHOULD do something.

Yes he can but he should set a better example for his kids, and the nation. His health should be important to make sure he can focus completely on his job.

So smoking doesn't allow him to focus clearly on his job?

Dude, I mean the way I look at it it's better to smoke the occasional cig then to get caught getting a BJ in the oval office. Just my opinion.

Just because Obama smokes doesn't mean I feel that it will hinder him in any type of way in actually doing any presidental duties, which should be are main concern as citizen of the United States. I thought this was the home of the "free" Or does that exclude the President?. :cool:

Archived