Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite Quotations

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Ham?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Pork chops?

Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.

Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

Homer: Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems.

Homer: Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose: it's how drunk you get.

Homer: I want to share something with you: The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number 1: Cover for me. Number 2: Oh, good idea, Boss! Number 3: It was like that when I got here.

Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

Homer: Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems.

In college, I used to use this as an away message on IM while I was out taking an exam:silly:

Homer: All right brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But let's just get me through this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.

I have a couple: one short and one long.

The unexamined life is not worth living.

and...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your future plans." - Woody Allen

"I do benefits for all religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality."

Bob Hope

"I didn't get a toy train like the other kids, I got a toy subway instead; you couldn't see anything but every now and then you'd hear this rumbling noise go by." - Steven Wright

"When I was in high school, I got in trouble with my girlfriend's Dad. He said, "I want my daughter back by 8:15." I said, "The middle of August? Cool." - Steven Wright

"If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?" - Steven Wright

"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Al Einstein

Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.

-Mark Twain

IF

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you

But make allowance for their doubting too,

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,

Or being hated, don't give way to hating,

And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,

If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breath a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;

If all men count with you, but none too much,

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,

And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

- Mr Rudyard Kipling

Too often we are defined but we do. He is a doctor. She is a banker. He does the laundry and she does the dishes. When we lose our ability to do these things is when we find out who we really are underneath all of these job definitions. That's when we get to find out whether we're nice people, or giving people or maybe we really are just bitter at what life has thrown at us. Maybe having MS rob us of our ability to do certain things is saying "that's not you. Don't define yourself with your profession or tasks."

-can't remember who made this arguement (and I don't have it word for word) on MS World, but it's stuck in my head as I have my wife button my shirts that I now have trouble with.

Too often we are defined but we do. He is a doctor. She is a banker. He does the laundry and she does the dishes. When we lose our ability to do these things is when we find out who we really are underneath all of these job definitions. That's when we get to find out whether we're nice people, or giving people or maybe we really are just bitter at what life has thrown at us. Maybe having MS rob us of our ability to do certain things is saying "that's not you. Don't define yourself with your profession or tasks."

-can't remember who made this arguement (and I don't have it word for word) on MS World, but it's stuck in my head as I have my wife button my shirts that I now have trouble with.

That's quite a profound statement :applause:...

"While I respect the Judeo-Christian ethic, as well as the eastern philosophies, and of course, the teachings of Muhammed, I find that organized religion has corrupted those beliefs to justify countless atrocities throughout history. Were I to attend church, I'd be a hypocrite." -Steven Hyde (Yes, it's from That 70's Show)

"In a recent poll, eight out of ten percent of Americans said rudeness is a serious problem. Of course, the other two told the poll to go **** off!" -Penn Jillette

W.C. Fields ~ Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.~ W. C . Fields

If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again. Then give up. There's no use being a damned fool about it.

My illness is due to my doctor's insistence that I drink milk, a whittish fluid they force down helpless babies.

There's not a man in America who at one time or another hasn't had a secret desire to boot a child in the ass.

You can't cheat an honest man. He has to have larceny in his heart in the first place.

When I'm good, I'm good. When I'm bad, I'm very good.~ Mae West

When a girl goes wrong - men go right after her. ~ Mae West

Marriage is a fine institution - but I'm not ready for an institution.

Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot.~ Groucho Marx

Now there's a man with an open mind - you can feel the breeze from here!~~ Groucho Marx

Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny.

Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe.

Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.

There is no hell. There is only France.

Don't mind your make-up, you'd better make your mind up.

Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesnt work if it's not open.

If we can't be free at least we can be cheap.

Sometimes you got to get sick before you can feel better.

You can't be a Real Country unless you have a BEER and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a BEER.

There will never be a nuclear war; there's too much real estate involved.

Consider for a moment any beauty in the name Ralph.

Why do you necessarily have to be wrong just because a few million people think you are?

Outdoors for me is walking from the car to the ticket desk at the airport

You drank beer, you played golf, you watched football - WE EVOLVED!

You have just destroyed one model XQJ-37 nuclear powered pansexual roto-plooker....and you're gonna have to pay for it.

Interviewer: "So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?"

FZ: "You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?"

Without deviation from the norm, 'progress' is not possible.

Who are the brain police?

The people of your century no longer require the service of composers.

A composer is as useful to a person in a jogging suit as a dinsoaur turd in the middle of his runway.

There are more love songs than anything else.

If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another.

Hey, you know something people? I'm not black, but there's a whole lots a times I wish I could say I'm not white.

Most people wouldn't know good music if it came up and bit them in the ass.

Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

There are three things that smell of fish. One of them is fish. The other two are growing on you!

May your **** come to life and kiss you on the face.

Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance, it's what makes America great.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.

Beauty is a pair of shoes that makes you wanna die.

The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

All By Frank Zappa

Califan, your liking the quote prompted me to go back and look at the original which is in many ways better than I remembered it. It still strikes me as awesome for those who have lost a lot whether it be a job or physical ability or anything else we think made us. Here it is:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=88825

--------

tejokid

Sometimes who we used to be wasn't really "us" to begin with. Maybe it was not who we really were so much as a collection of roles we played. The hard worker, the soccer mom, the dad who was a rising star at his job, the great outfielder--all those things.

What we are now is "us" stripped of a lot of our roles. We define ourselves by what we do, not by what we are. When, suddenly, what we do isn't possible any more, we're left with something we don't recognize because it's been covered up by all the roles we play.

Maybe the question isn't, "Who am I now?" but "Who am I?" We're a go/do/purchase society--when we can't go, do, or purchase things we want to be identified by (the Hummer, the newest iPod)--holy cow, what's left? Just us. Unadorned, unembellished us.

It's so hard to accept ourselves that way. Our culture is like those old west movie sets--a big facade on a building that's built like a box behind. If a wind storm blows the facade down, we look at what remains and think--well, that's not very interesting. Where's the sign? The architecture? Where's the fun in a boring, square structure?

In reality, what's behind the facade is all that matters anyway. Denuded of our roles, we're left with what we've always been. Who we were was often great (and often not)--who we are now is where all the good stuff came from to begin with.

We've lost a lot, but there it stands before us--the opportunity to remake ourselves.

Those Guys are Fags!! - Jeff Spicoli

Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal! - Hudson

You're going to need a bigger boat! - Brody

I'll make him an offer he can't refuse. - Michael Corleone

Stop ******* with Jumbo, it just ain't gonna work. - btfoom (to myself)

Archived