Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Expected/Demanded of JC next Season?

Chiefinonhaze

It's the offseason,you gotta have some fun.

But seriously,

Too much rides on too many other people for one man to win or fail.

It's not just waht Jason needs to do,It's what the Team needs to do.

Having a 4th ranked Defense who only gave up more that 24 points in a game (last game to) was sweet.

I liked what we did on kick offs.

But we sucked on punts,punt returns and scoring Offense.

I just hope that when the Offense does get on a roll our D isnt ranked 30th.

Sometimes teams have those problems.

And with all the holes we have I fear that day will come.

Oh I have fun all year round, especially the offseason.

And I agree with what you said exactly. This is a TEAM GAME. We win as a team, we lose as a team. When it all clicks(beginning of the season), it's GREAT. When it's not(end of season) its frickin SUCKS!

Hopefully he will have some receivers other than Moss performing at a high level to get open. Then he needs to throw the ball out of bounds to avoid sacks and he needs to run when his line does not give him sufficient protection. He needs to lead the team to at least 9 wins next year and it does not matter to me how many touchdowns he throws. It would be nice to not have to watch dink and dunk passes less than 10 yards long. Hope the coach will let him air it out much more than this past year.

As much as I want a serious upgrade to the OLine, they were not the only factor in the demise of the offense in the second half. We have talked long and often on the problems associated with poor pass protection, the collapse of the pocket, the ability of the opponent to get pressure rushing 4 or less, a poor running game, no push of the pile on short yardage, no downfield blocking, etc. ad nauseum.

We had no other viable deep threat besides Moss, and keeping a safety over the top kept him in check for most games. The new receivers were not called out for it, but they admitted they did not always run the routes precisely. On the timing throws that the West Coast offense requires, where you're throwing to a spot, running the route 3 yeards short or long leads to what looks like a terrible throw by the QB. When the receiver is not trusted to run the route correctly, the QB compensates by holding the ball, to see where the WR is actually running. Did that happen often? I don't know, but unless you're the HC or the WR coach, you probably don't know either. But Zorn said it happened, the receivers said it happened, so I have a tendency to believe it happened.

And of course some of it also lands at JC's feet. Strong-armed QB's are often notorious for lacking touch. Adrenaline can make you throw a rope when a rainbow is what's needed. And the safety tended to shade the side of the field where JC's eyes went which indicated ES was not the only ones aware of that tendency. And no matter what you think of his accuracy, there is room for improvment.

To me, football is still a team sport. There is a chance for the offense to get better next year. The rookies learned something and they will take that with them to the start of next year. Rinehart may be ready to join the OLine and contribute. There are a couple of good centers available in the draft in the mddle of the second round and a trade down could get us both a good guard and a center/guard. Depending how far we trade down, one of the big four OT's may be available. I felt the scheme change was less of a factor for Campbell than many have talked about, and the newness of it helped early in the season as it made it tougher for opposing defenses to prepare. So I felt the newness of the scheme helped as much as it hurt.

But with a couple of draft picks or FA signings to augment the OL, some well-earned experience by the new receivers and maybe last year's rookie lineman, and a dose of improvement by Campbell, next year Campbell might surprise detractors and proponents alike. But even if he puts up stellar numbers, it's still a team game. Even when Riggo made "the run" there were still 10 other guys out there, even if we only saw him. So my expectations are for the team, not just Campbell.

Maybe expectations is the wrong word. It's more like my hope.

Having said that, what are we to expect from him next season? What will make the haters get back on the bandwagon? Do we want him to put up Drew Brees numbers. or should we expect more conservative mistake free football?

spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

spaceball.gifo Continue to progress in the WCO

o More TDs

o Master the base packages so that Zorn can add more packages/ build the rapport w/ Zorn and Meidt to take a more vocal role in the design of the offense and gameplanning (get Zorn to open it up downfield)

o Encourage the receivers especially the young guys to work on their craft, work with them to improve route running and timing

-keep on them even after practice to acheive mastery and precision

o Improve his playmaking when things breakdown..ie....getting out of the pocket and making throws on the run, sometimes getting out of the pocket and just throwing the ball away is a good decision

o Continue to grow as a leader and take a more vocal role leadership role

In short, i would like to see JC take the next step in his progression as a QB and take complete ownership of this team :cheers:

With some improvement from the young receivers and a little better line play, JC and the passing game could flourish next year

2697528457_1bf37a9e8c.jpg?v=0

2701242812_d28139641e.jpg?v=0

2701244332_b4be150a79.jpg?v=0

spaceball.gif

To be fair many qb's do the exact same. From the very good, rivers and manning, to the very mediocre, delhomme.

As far as him getting a free ticket and not being a solid qb, that's preposterous. If you ranked all the qb's in the league Campbell would be somewhere in the teens. Not great, but definitely solid. Would I love to have an all-pro qb? Who wouldn't? But is qb our most needed upgrade? No, not even close. Unless this team really bottoms out I think the qb spot is one of our least concerns.

I disagree, i would put him in the mid 20's.

Many of you are claiming that JC is going to be the starter next season, as thought this pronouncement is a revelation. Of course he will be the starter because who else is going to start? Thats not the point of this thread.

My only comment on this thread is simply that JC with or without better offensive linemen, with or without better receivers, is still an average QB with a big arm. Great Scrambling ability but average when it comes to performing his job that he gets paid for which is find receivers and throwing the ball accurately to them. Oh yea, he is dynamite, one of the best at dumping the ball off to a receiver from 4 yards away and pumping up those completion precentage numbers. But those 4 and 5 yard passes on 3rd and 6 are not getting it done as evidenced by all those stalled drives. Defenses GIVE Campbell a lot of those completions because they know he will take them. Doesn't do much for the drive because its 4th down and a punt is coming, but at least it allows many of his fans on this board to play hail to the chief and continue to tout Campbells incredible accuracy.

JC is an average QB with a big arm. There. I said it again, and next year, the Skins may indeed have a better passing game with better receivers and a better offensive line, but remember, many average QB's have had 1 great season when surrounded with incredible talent. Campbell will still never be a guy who WINS games, only just manages games, as evidenced by his whopping 13 TD passes this year in a 16 game season in which he took every snap.

2010....he's a free agent and playing for another team, unless he delivers a Superbowl, and he can't do that for all the reasons I listed above.

Many of you are claiming that JC is going to be the starter next season, as thought this pronouncement is a revelation. Of course he will be the starter because who else is going to start? Thats not the point of this thread.

My only comment on this thread is simply that JC with or without better offensive linemen, with or without better receivers, is still an average QB with a big arm. Great Scrambling ability but average when it comes to performing his job that he gets paid for which is find receivers and throwing the ball accurately to them. Oh yea, he is dynamite, one of the best at dumping the ball off to a receiver from 4 yards away and pumping up those completion precentage numbers. But those 4 and 5 yard passes on 3rd and 6 are not getting it done as evidenced by all those stalled drives. Defenses GIVE Campbell a lot of those completions because they know he will take them. Doesn't do much for the drive because its 4th down and a punt is coming, but at least it allows many of his fans on this board to play hail to the chief and continue to tout Campbells incredible accuracy.

JC is an average QB with a big arm. There. I said it again, and next year, the Skins may indeed have a better passing game with better receivers and a better offensive line, but remember, many average QB's have had 1 great season when surrounded with incredible talent. Campbell will still never be a guy who WINS games, only just manages games, as evidenced by his whopping 13 TD passes this year in a 16 game season in which he took every snap.

2010....he's a free agent and playing for another team, unless he delivers a Superbowl, and he can't do that for all the reasons I listed above.

Amen.

He shouldn't have any excuses this year. Expectations for me are on the fence because when I expect good things they don't turn out and when they are low they aren't any better. The Redskins have been and continue to be predictable on both sides of the ball. More offense than defense but still too predictable. Short passing and power running game which makes us go three and out more times than not. On defense we run a standard defense with no stunts and predictable blitzes. No pass rush and very few sacks by our DE's or DT's. So to expect our success to be placed squarely and only on Jason Campbell's shoulders is to say that his performance will make or break our season. I don't think that he will be successful this year because of the limited play calling that Zorn has done this past year. If he opens it up this year he may surprise me but I am waiting for the offensive explosions that this team has the capabilities of. The ones that never come and make you scratch your head. Why can other teams win against the same teams we lose against? They run the same type of Offense as we do but we have trouble with. For example, the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys play the same teams we do in ost part and can beat those same teams by more than a TD but we either barely win or lose to them. How do you lose to the Rams and the 49ers when everyone else is blowing them out or beating them by a TD or more? Play calling and team performance is the key to their success and that hasn't happened yet. Until it does they will have the same results as previous years and that is a fact. The whole team will have no excuses this year.

I think everyone here agrees that Mark Rypien had a solid statistical season in 1991 when they won the Super Bowl. I was curious to see how JC's stats this year compared to that of Ryp's in 1991...

Rypien:

1991 Record 14-2 (Super Bowl MVP)

249-421 / 59.1 Comp%

3564 Yards

28 TDs / 6.7 TD%

11 INTs / 2.6 INT%

97.9 QB Rating

Campbell:

2008 Record 8-8

315-506 / 62.3 Comp%

3245 Yards

13 TDs / 2.6 TD%

6 INTs / 1.2 INT%

84.3 QB Rating

When looking at these stats a few things need to be considered, first of all being the offenses that these two played in. JC's comp % was due in large part to the dink/dunk/slant nature of the WCO, while Ryp was asked to throw less but get larger chunks of yardage per pass on deep throws. Ryp's TD% show that he was far more efficient moving his team into the endzone.

Secondly, Ryp was playing behind one of the best O-lines in history. JC... not so much. This allowed Ryp the time to run the offense to near perfection that year. To be fair though, both QB's benefitted from a fine rushing attack during these times.

I suppose my point here is that so many people seem to want to throw JC under the bus whithout giving what he has done this year (in his first full year in a new offense) any real credit. The raw stats are not that far off comparitively and I am encouraged that JC will get better with another year in the WCO.

Well, I should first start by saying, I don't think Jason is a proper fit for the WCO; his athletic make-up runs counter to what skills this offense places emphasis on. It's sorta like the whole, square-peg-round-hole thing, for me.

However, I think, by virtue of now knowing this offense and what Zorn expects of him in it, he'll be much more fluent in his knowledge of it.

I would like to see a better, more metronome-type, tempo and pace in his movement and more comfort with the various five-step drops in becoming a more decisive player. I'd expect him to make faster reads, improve his pocket command and actually shorten his release and lower his stance as he drops, all while maintaining his high-release point.

In the season's last quarter, he showed an uncanny (for him, at least) and surprising ability to scramble out of the pocket and make first downs with his feet, but I'd like him to improve his in-the-pocket improvisation.

While he may not be an idea fit for the WCO, he can excel. I was very pleased with his performance in the fourth quarter of the season and expect a carry-over into next season, along with various improvements.

It only makes sense that VC/JZ will discuss and find better pieces to our OL. I think this year coming up will be the make or break year for him. If we do get the missing pieces on the OL and he still doesn't perform like he should no contract extention will come and he will be playing for another team in 2010.

I love the optimism, but the cold fact is he can't play. Cannot read blitzes quickly enough, and takes way too long to get rid of the ball. The fact that the Redskins haven't offered him a big contract yet tells you all you need to know about the guy. He seems like a very nice young man and very smart, but he just can't make it in the NFL. He will be a very adequate backup, but no more.

I'm sick of mistake free football and game manager nonsense. I expect a dangerous passing game. Portis has shown for several seasons now that he's not the same back at the end of the season that he is at the start. We can't be run first and pass if we can. We have to be a balanced attack and that means a passing game that can win games when it needs to.

Portis has shown for several seasons now that he's not the same back at the end of the season that he is at the start.

Really? What about the two playoff runs in '07 and 05? He finished the season extremely strong and led us into the playoffs. This season our O-line was considerably worn down it had nothing to do with Portis.

One thing is for sure Jason has to step up a gear or two. He will have no more excuses and more importantly no more time to prove if he can be the man or not.

Either he will stand up to the challenge he faces and prove his doubters wrong, or he will fold like a house of cards under the pressure of knowing he is facing the spanish archers. I for one am not sure which way he will go.

I hope he steps up and leads us to an improved season on offense, maybe we can score a few more points, which would be nice :rolleyes: because if he flops we are back to square one...again..... but I have this nagging worry that he just doesn't have the core strength to hold up through the season if things get sticky. I think its too early to tell but if Zorn can coach him up in the offseason and get him to release the ball quickly, throw accurately to space not always waiting for receivers to be open first, be mobile in the pocket, read defenses better etc, etc he may well do turn it around.

I for one demand we make the playoffs and not by scraping in, but I expect it will be a long season, again unless we do some serious wheeling and dealing in the offseason Lines-wise.

just my :2cents:

If JC can't prove his worth in his contract year, when he will be auditioning for a big contract from all 32 teams, than that will prove to me that he is a bust. There are no excuses, though I'm sure the JC lovers will continue to spit them out regardless. This is it for him, and, along with him, the Zorn.

Archived