Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Expected/Demanded of JC next Season?

Chiefinonhaze

I've come to the conclusion that it is pointless to argue whether or not JC is the right QB for us. There is one thing that we cannot change, and that is the fact that he will be our starter.

Whether you love or hate him, we all can agree that there are NO, and I mean NO excuses next season. JC supporters can't say "new coach, new scheme, etc."

Having said that, what are we to expect from him next season? What will make the haters get back on the bandwagon? Do we want him to put up Drew Brees numbers. or should we expect more conservative mistake free football?

i have never bashed JC this past season as it was another scheme he had to learn, but this upcoming season there is no excuse for him and he has to perform as a 1st round pick. Would be satisfied if he continues to minimize mistakes and lead us to the playoffs (and possibly further). Though I feel there is a bigger issue with our offensive and defensive lines.

i have never bashed JC this past season as it was another scheme he had to learn, but this upcoming season there is no excuse for him and he has to perform as a 1st round pick. Would be satisfied if he continues to minimize mistakes and lead us to the playoffs (and possibly further). Though I feel there is a bigger issue with our offensive and defensive lines.

I agree. I think this year his statline should have been around 18 TD's and 6 int's. I can think of a few TD's that were great plays by JC but were called back due to other players mistakes. That is a solid year. If he can perform the same next year with a better line and more help from a #2 Wr we can be ok.

I think that depends on what we do with the O-line. I expect, that if we get JC better protection, we may see a good start again like last year. There are a couple of key things that need to happen for the TEAM to succeed next season.

We need to get Betts (or whoever) to spell Portis and keep both backs fresh throughout the season. My recommendation is to get a good three back system.

Kelly and Thomas MUST step up. Its time to shine guys.

Lastly, JC needs to improve more than he has the past two seasons combined. The baby steps and kid gloves need to come off on him and the playcalling as well. If the protection is not there... RUN, or get rid of the ball. Keep the turnovers down and lastly, work on your accuracy in the 20-40 yard mark. Oh yeah... lets work on the touch pass as well. No need to zip the ball that hard on a quick slant.

I want more mistake free football, but he needs more TD passes too. Just make plays in general, convert some tough 3rd downs here and there, get rid of the ball when the pressure is on, just doing things that don't make me want to pull my hair out.

He needs at least 20 TD passes next year, hopefully less than 10 INTs. I think those are modest, yet attainable expectations.

It'd be nice to see him take some shots down field, or even in the mid-range 20-40 yard bracket; as opposed to the under 10 yard slants and dump off's that he consistantly falls back on as a "safety blanket."

And I appreciate it's all relative as to what's called, and what Zorn trusts him with within the scheme; but even within that there's been many an occasion he's overlooked, or just not seen at all, a deeper, open option.

Even at the expense of turning the ball over, it would at least show he's TRYING to find a way to get it done, and bring some excitement to the position that's been sadly lacking for WAY too long now in DC.

I can forgive a lot of my QB if he goe's out there, gives his all, and takes responsibility on his own and gambles to move my team downfield and score; instead of the conservative, safety first, "go nowhere" play were used to from him.

Is that too much to ask from a guy entering his 5th year as a pro?

Hail.

It'd be nice to see him take some shots down field, or even in the mid-range 20-40 yard bracket; as opposed to the under 10 yard slants and dump off's that he consistantly falls back on as a "safety blanket."

And I appreciate it's all relative as to what's called, and what Zorn trusts him within the scheme; but even within that there's been many an occasion he's overlooked, or just not seen at all, a deeper, open option.

Even at the expense of turning the ball over, it would at least show he's TRYING to find a way to get it done, and bring some excitement to the position that's been sadly lacking for WAY too long now in DC.

I can forgive a lot of my QB if he goe's out there, gives his all, and takes gambles to move my team downfield and score; instead of the conservative, safety first, "go nowhere" play were used to from him.

Is that too much to ask?

Hail.

I agree to an extent, I think JC was being too careful with the football (sounds crazy) when he didn't get the protection to throw the longer passes. He didn't have a problem throwing big passes during the first half of the season when pass protection was good.

He needs to continue to lead the offense. Honestly he was playing very well the first 6 games of the season. The Oline was giving him enough time to make plays and he proved he could get the job done. The entire offense has got to improve next year. If everyone gets better then JC will get better as well and he'll score more TDs.

I think that depends on what we do with the O-line. I expect, that if we get JC better protection, we may see a good start again like last year. There are a couple of key things that need to happen for the TEAM to succeed next season.

We need to get Betts (or whoever) to spell Portis and keep both backs fresh throughout the season. My recommendation is to get a good three back system.

Kelly and Thomas MUST step up. Its time to shine guys.

Lastly, JC needs to improve more than he has the past two seasons combined. The baby steps and kid gloves need to come off on him and the playcalling as well. If the protection is not there... RUN, or get rid of the ball. Keep the turnovers down and lastly, work on your accuracy in the 20-40 yard mark. Oh yeah... lets work on the touch pass as well. No need to zip the ball that hard on a quick slant.

I agree with everything he said, especially with JC's reads and footwork. He needs no decide quickly if he's gonna run or not. Bottom line the training wheels come off and he has to make **** happen in tha 09. Not more excuses.

The game is supposed to slow down for WCQBs. Id like to see him ramp up his speed without sacrificing too much of the smart decisions. I dont want to see him going too quickly through his reads like he was mid season. With this line, Id really like to see 1,2, run.

I also expect the general familiarity to help out alot with this.

He is plaing behind a LOUSY O LINE, danny and vinny seem to think linemen are not important. Ask Jason after the Steeler game, after the Raven game how important blocking is

You just nailed it....I think we all can agree that when the protection was there in the 1st 8 games JC made the throws to win us games. This is a contract year for him and many of you are right there are NO excuses anyone can use this year put up or shut up for him. If Vinny and Dan build the lines in 09 then I see at least 20 TD's and 1400 plus yards again for Portis.....wow and with our D... that sounds like a playoff team to me.

And I appreciate it's all relative as to what's called, and what Zorn trusts him with within the scheme; but even within that there's been many an occasion he's overlooked, or just not seen at all, a deeper, open option.

I can forgive a lot of my QB if he goe's out there, gives his all, and takes responsibility on his own and gambles to move my team downfield and score; instead of the conservative, safety first, "go nowhere" play were used to from him.

Is that too much to ask from a guy entering his 5th year as a pro?

Hail.

I agree with this, and to piggyback off of it I believe the running game as someone else mentioned needs to be stronger. And by stronger I would like to see more of a multi back system. Clinton can still get his 20 to 25 carries, but I would like to see Betts, and even possibly a rookie who we may draft to get carries. I realize that grind it out, north/south running scheme isn't in the WCO scheme, but we need to get more out of the running game in order to get that deep ball to work. Make the defense respect the playaction fake, and make them more so respect the running game.

The long ball is what I'm most concerned about. I still don't believe we are going to see as much because of scheme as we would like, but I do believe there will be more vertical routes next year.

Stop being a game manager and be a play maker. We can find old vet QB's to be game managers.

I feel like part of the problem is that he isn't really managing the game. Zorn is doing it through JC. He's like a field robot, when what we need is a field general that will take some chances to make some plays.

I feel like part of the problem is that he isn't really managing the game. Zorn is doing it through JC. He's like a field robot, when what we need is a field general that will take some chances to make some plays.

But is it JC makeup to "make plays"? Some can argue that he showed flashes of that this year one prime example being late in the 49ers game. But, I look at what JC has done "making plays" with his arm. I need to see more from that perspective personally, and I often question weather JC has the Rotheslibess where he can simply make plays with his arm late in games. This often defines a QB, and sometimes I question weather JC has it in him. I want to believe he does, but as you mentioned earlier he often looks like he is being overcoached and is very robotic

Archived