Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AFP: Olmert forces Bush not to vote in favor of ceasefire

heyholetsgogrant

The United States, Israel's main ally, had initially been expected to voted in line with the other 14 but Rice later became the sole abstention.

"In the night between Thursday and Friday, when the secretary of state wanted to lead the vote on a ceasefire at the Security Council, we did not want her to vote in favour," Olmert said.

"I said 'get me President Bush on the phone'. They said he was in the middle of giving a speech in Philadelphia. I said I didn't care. 'I need to talk to him now'. He got off the podium and spoke to me.

"I told him the United States could not vote in favour. It cannot vote in favour of such a resolution. He immediately called the secretary of state and told her not to vote in favour."

....Snip.

Source: AFP

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090112/pl_afp/mideastconflictgazaolmertusrice_newsmlmmd

I can't believe that happened the way it's detailed in your quote. Bush can't be that big of a puss.
Upon receiving word that the US was planning to vote in favor of the resolution - viewed by Israel as impractical and failing to address its security concerns - Olmert demanded to get Bush on the phone, and refused to back down after being told that the president was delivering a lecture in Philadelphia. Bush interrupted his lecture to answer Olmert's call, the premier said.

America could not vote in favor of such a resolution, Olmert told Bush. Soon afterwards, Rice abstained when votes were counted at the UN.

Source: JPOST

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1231760642497&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Of course it also said this:

But a US State Department official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, denied Olmert's claim.

"Mr. Olmert is wrong," the official said.

Even if everything had gone according to plan, "she would have abstained. That was the plan," said the official. "The government of Israel does not make US policy."

Personally, I think the whole scenario of Bush and Rice saying "We're gonna vote in favor of a cease fire", Olmert calling up and saying "Oh, no you won't!", and Bush saying "Oh, ok. Nevermind, then" is a bit too simplistic lol...whatever took place could NOT have happened as straight-forward as described above. And even IF something took place similar to what Olmert describes, how stupid is it to announce to the world that basically "Bush was our puppet" and that Rice was "shamed-faced"?

Of course it also said this:

Personally, I think the whole scenario of Bush and Rice saying "We're gonna vote in favor of a cease fire", Olmert calling up and saying "Oh, no you won't!", and Bush saying "Oh, ok. Nevermind, then" is a bit too simplistic lol...whatever took place could NOT have happened as straight-forward as described above. And even IF something took place similar to what Olmert describes, how stupid is it to announce to the world that basically "Bush was our puppet" and that Rice was "shamed-faced"?

And of course Olmert is making these claims publically and this unnamed official is not. I'd think Bush himself would WANT to publically declare that he is not Olmert's *****. What he is claiming is a slap in the face and that moron should be made to apologize for talking about the US like we answer to him and his nation.

Isreal owes us big and the only damn thing they should have to say to the US is thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

And of course Olmert is making these claims publically and this unnamed official is not. I'd think Bush himself would WANT to publically declare that he is not Olmert's *****. What he is claiming is a slap in the face and that moron should be made to apologize for talking about the US like we answer to him and his nation.

Isreal owes us big and the only damn thing they should have to say to the US is thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

You expect that from them, Israel? The crookedest nation on earth?

Can someone please explain to me why exactly we are Israel's *****? Holy Land/2nd Coming/Evangelism? Holocaust guilt? Remenant of Cold War politics? A combination of the three or something else? I really don't get it.

I'm not saying they're bad guys/war criminals/monsters and the Palestinians are the most oppressed innocent souls to ever exist or any of that mess. But this crazy. If this is true we really are their *****. And I'm curious as to why.

SHF? You're normally my go to on this reigion.

Can someone please explain to me why exactly we are Israel's *****? Holy Land/2nd Coming/Evangelism? Holocaust guilt? Remenant of Cold War politics? A combination of the three or something else? I really don't get it.

I'm not saying they're bad guys/war criminals/monsters and the Palestinians are the most oppressed innocent souls to ever exist or any of that mess. But this crazy. If this is true we really are their *****. And I'm curious as to why.

Just a wild guess, but maybe we're loyal to countries who are loyal to us ?

And there's very few countries who have remained loyal to us, so we need all the allies we can get.

Just a wild guess, but maybe we're loyal to countries who are loyal to us ?

And there's very few countries who have remained loyal to us, so we need all the allies we can get.

That is based on the assumption that we are dealing with a valuable ally. That we "get" something for what we "give". I think the question posed is "what do WE get"...nobody has answered that for me...other than to say we have "ally".

No surprise that there is at least one person who has taken a chance to blaim Bush. As if this whole dynamic is new to the last 8 years and it is yet another thing that will change on the 20th. I think it would be a great thing if we re-examined our policy in that region and modifications that suit OUR interests. But I am not going to hold my breath waiting for it.

You expect that from them, Israel? The crookedest nation on earth?
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yup, Israel is more crooked than Mugabe's Zimbabwe, to name just one :rolleyes:

And SHF, don't give me that "puppet" crap.

Sorry if I seem a bit oversensitive, I'm Jewish, and DO tend to be oversensitive about this stuff (though haithman is just wrong).

Meanwhile Hamas embarrasses its prime minister, Ismail Haniyeh.:rolleyes:

Haniyeh:..A ceasefire sounds pretty darn good right now(we will rearm and kill the Infidels later)

Hamas leadership: Oh hell no, you will continue to get the **** kicked out of you and like it(round up some more kids as shields) we need a higher body count.

Sorry if I seem a bit oversensitive, I'm Jewish, and DO tend to be oversensitive about this stuff (though haithman is just wrong).

Yeah, "crookedest" is a bit of a stretch...good point. The second crookedest country.

Let me ask you a serious question. Do you analyze American foreign policy as a "jew" or an "american"? In other words, when what is in Israel's best interests and what is in American interests don't match up...which position do you favor?(and I fully expect at least one effort by someone at explaining their interests are our interests..and I don't buy it at all.)

That is based on the assumption that we are dealing with a valuable ally. That we "get" something for what we "give". I think the question posed is "what do WE get"...nobody has answered that for me...other than to say we have "ally".

Amongst the things we get from the Israelis is access to their Intel on the works an ongoing operations of Middle East terrorists. That's a pretty damn valuable resourse and has saved many American lives.

I think techboy is right. Israel is coming up on an election. I think this is largely campaign rhetoric.

Of course, and the title of the thread is wrong and misleading as well.

Olmert convinced W to force Rice to abstain,but that just does not sound as exciting or provocative I guess:rolleyes:

Yeah, "crookedest" is a bit of a stretch...good point. The second crookedest country.

Let me ask you a serious question. Do you analyze American foreign policy as a "jew" or an "american"? In other words, when what is in Israel's best interests and what is in American interests don't match up...which position do you favor?(and I fully expect at least one effort by someone at explaining their interests are our interests..and I don't buy it at all.)

Jew here. I analyze foreign policy as an American. If it's American interests vs. Israel's, America wins ten times out of ten. I'd even throw in an eleventh for good measure. Not even close.

However, I also analyze statements like 'crookedest country' or 'second crookedest country' as a Jew. I analyze the fact that Israel is under the biggest microscope in the history of the world ... that they are scrutinized and criticized in a way that much more powerful and populous nations who deal with ethnic and cultural discord ... nations like China and Russia and even the UK, are not. In a way that nations who butcher their own people by the millions are not.

I am not an Israeli. I don't ever plan on visiting Israel. I don't have any special love for the place. But I do see how they are looked upon by the rest of the world. And sometimes it's downright scary.

So as not to be a hypocrite:

I don't know how many times i've come in here and destroyed a Senator for sponsoring a bill and then voting against it. It is a waste of the peoples time and in most cases the additions to the bill do not cause it to become useless.

I think Creating something and then voting against it in this case was cowardly from what i've read.

I would Agree with Henry: you can probably name 45 countries that treat "THEIR OWN" people worse. 10 that make you cringe.

you can probably name 45 countries that treat "THEIR OWN" people worse. 10 that make you cringe.

I could also name quite a few countries who's politicians talked **** about Bush to win an election. Even some of our allies.

All that said, Olmert can suck it.

Honestly no real idea. But if we are to be honest, you always trace the money. Israel, through AIPAC has quite a lobbying force in this country. I am not saying that as a bad thing (and certainly not implying a ZOG exists) but they do have quite the pull and history within our political class.

In politics you always trace the money

No surprise that there is at least one person who has taken a chance to blaim Bush. As if this whole dynamic is new to the last 8 years and it is yet another thing that will change on the 20th. I think it would be a great thing if we re-examined our policy in that region and modifications that suit OUR interests. But I am not going to hold my breath waiting for it.

Hoping for a re-examination of our entire policy in the region. I am of the same way, I am not sure how our relationship as it currently stands benefits us. And I think that is the case with many countries in the region (SA, Pakistan in particular)

Probably the wrong verbage for me to use. However you also recognize that Israel has some serious influence in DC, and it doesn't matter what administration is in charge. Not trying to flame and I understand the sensitivity on this issue

I think techboy is right. Israel is coming up on an election. I think this is largely campaign rhetoric.
Jew here. I analyze foreign policy as an American. If it's American interests vs. Israel's, America wins ten times out of ten. I'd even throw in an eleventh for good measure. Not even close.

However, I also analyze statements like 'crookedest country' or 'second crookedest country' as a Jew. I analyze the fact that Israel is under the biggest microscope in the history of the world ... that they are scrutinized and criticized in a way that much more powerful and populous nations who deal with ethnic and cultural discord ... nations like China and Russia and even the UK, are not. In a way that nations who butcher their own people by the millions are not.

I am not an Israeli. I don't ever plan on visiting Israel. I don't have any special love for the place. But I do see how they are looked upon by the rest of the world. And sometimes it's downright scary.

I have often wondered how it is to be an American Jew, with basically no ties to Israel except religion. I just know it can't be easy because of all of the noise surrounding the whole issue.

I could also name quite a few countries who's politicians talked **** about Bush to win an election. Even some of our allies.

Quite a bit. Musharraf in particular did it

Archived