Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is a boring, unwatchable sport like soccer the most watched sport in the world?

bconngemini

That's because you didn't grow up watching or playing the game. Europeans probably have the same feelings for American football.

Now I don't like soccer and I agree it's boring to watch. But to say it "sucks", isn't exactly true because the rest of the world sure likes it. It's one thing to not care for a sport, but it's another to show blind ignorance. You my friend are starting to cross over into the latter of the two...

No, I did grow up with it. They made us play this stupid "sport" from elementary school through high school. All the while telling us how it was going to take the U.S. by storm. I didn't know anyone in school that liked it.

No, I did grow up with it. They made us play this stupid "sport" from elementary school through high school. All the while telling us how it was going to take the U.S. by storm. I didn't know anyone in school that liked it.

And let me ask you what you're trying to prove here? You soccer bashers say that "they" are trying to shove this sport down your throat? Who do you mean by "they"? ESPN? ESPNEWS? As far as I know soccer coverage on sports networks is slim to none. Highlights usually last about 1 minute all the while the sports announcers discreetly bash the sport themselves.

The cheaper comment refers to the fact that when these poverty stricken individuals who watch soccer were kids, they couldn't afford sports equipment so they made make shift soccer balls. They then grew up playing soccer in their spare time and got attached to the sport they became good at as a youth.

I played football year round growing up with the kids in the neighborhood.

We had 1 thing. A ball.

We played touch, tackle, in the street, on fields.

No uniform required.

You want boring? Try 9 inninngs of guys scratching themselves....
OLS!

My favorite seats at Camden are out in left field by the bull pen. Far from homeplate but you get to watch the pitchers. They sit there eating sunflower seeds and flick the shells into a paper cup.

And that **** is far, like 30-40 feet away from where they're sitting on the edge of the fence. They can literally hit the cup every single time. They're way too good at it, its pretty amazing actually. (and sad at the same time... :) )

That's different from my experience because at my elementary school there was a soccer game every day at recess. I don't understand why you put "sport" in quotations considering everything about soccer is covered in the definition.

I played football year round growing up with the kids in the neighborhood.

We had 1 thing. A ball.

We played touch, tackle, in the street, on fields.

No uniform required.

I think many of us did. There's also a social aspect of why soccer is so popular. If your whole neighborhood plays soccer, and watches soccer, then you will too. That's developed over many years around the world, and is probably passed down from generation to generation, just like football is to a lesser extent here.

soccer is the dominant sport in the world because it is very economical for most people. Most those kids couldn't afford to play things like hockey and football properly. And baseball is just god awfully boring, it sucks just as much as soccer in terms of excitement.

I have some questions for all you soccer haters:

Did soccer steal your lunch money as a child?

Is soccer threatening to take your girlfriend or wife from you?

Is soccer being shown on national TV for 9+ hours every Sunday from September through December?

Is soccer costing you thousands of dollars in merchandise and ticket costs annually?

I just don't get why someone would ever feel the need to come on a football message board and start a thread bashing another sport. Maybe you just prefer sports where guys with bulging muscles wear tight pants and jump all over each other? :whoknows:

Enough Nascar bashing! You even said it's stupid to hate on a sport then you go & hate on a sport.

:doh:

Auto Racing is one of the most popular sports in the world, maybe the second best behind soccer. You all are being hypocritical in this thread. Good job!

Nascar is liked here in America because it's American with American products. If you were into mechanics and strategy you may like it. It can be boring but so can EVERY sport. But like every other sport, there are pieces to it that attract a large number of people to it.

As a red-blooded patriotic american I hate soccer. Yet I can't ignore that its still the most watched sport in the world, while great exciting sports like NFL and MLB aren't. Someone explain to me: how can such a boring, sissy, unappealing sport be watched by people overseas...is it because foreigners like sissy sports and like being bored? Don't they like excitement like the NFL?[/q

:jerk:

I only bash on NASCAR to piss off the Tailgate Redneck crowd. :)

and cause it sucks azz

:movefast:

As only you could. I still can't believe you are on a football message board, but it isn't that odd to know you only post in the tailgate, never the stadium. We all know your kind isn't into many sports. It's cool. I tried googling a sport your kind likes but came up with nothing. :whoknows:

:silly:

Yeah, I've been wanting to go to a Nationals game since they moved into town. They came down from Montreal the year after I moved away and I haven't been able to see them once live :(

Hopefully, though, I'll be able to see them if I come up during the summer.

Yeah, they suck, but they're Washington's National League team. I know JKC is smiling about that. Besides, it's a Washington tradition to have terrible baseball! You guys know that! :D

I've taken my 10 year old to everything.

1. Football he loves the best cause of the excitement in the crowd

2. He loves going to hockey games

3. He's in awe during a race

4. He appreciates soccer cause he plays it and understands the sport

5. He wants to leave by the third inning of baseball games.

Soccer is a game which takes time to enjoy. I have been playing since I was a little child and only a few years ago have I appreciated it for what it is. I think what defines soccer is the passion not only of the fans but of the players, its a sport where people have STRONG allegiances to their team and the competition between teams and fans is intense, think Skins vs. Pukes x 100. I also think you have a newfound respect for the game when you actually play it, when I watch a game its not the goals that excite me, but the passes, flicks, and movement of teams that make me stand out of my seat (I do go crazy when goals are scored dont get me wrong). I sometimes go to pubs that are dominated with people who support my fans and people break out in songs for the players or the history of the team..history is a huge component.

I will however add that you can never get me to watch the MLS, European or nothing for me.

Archived