Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is a boring, unwatchable sport like soccer the most watched sport in the world?

bconngemini

As a red-blooded patriotic american I hate soccer. Yet I can't ignore that its still the most watched sport in the world, while great exciting sports like NFL and MLB aren't. Someone explain to me: how can such a boring, sissy, unappealing sport be watched by people overseas...is it because foreigners like sissy sports and like being bored? Don't they like excitement like the NFL?

As a red-blooded patriotic american I hate soccer. Yet I can't ignore that its still the most watched sport in the world, while great exciting sports like NFL and MLB aren't. Someone explain to me: how can such a boring, sissy, unappealing sport be watched by people overseas...is it because foreigners like sissy sports and like being bored? Don't they like excitement like the NFL?

well soccer players run about 5 miles a game, hardly ever get long stoppage time for injuries, and play for 45 minutes straight. To be honest, I don't know how you can convince someone to watch football, with all the commercials. Wouldn't it be nice if football played for one full quarter instead of three plays and a break? Also, soccer is cheaper to play than football. You need a ball, essentially, and that's it.

I think it's got a lot to do with culture.

Fotbul is where it's at all over the world except here. For most of us here, baseball was our past time growing up, only to see it quickly switch to American Football. While lots of us played soccer here growing up, there has always been a stigma attached to it that it wasn't as awesome as Basketball, Football or Baseball. Those childhood impressions can last a lifetime.

It's the exact opposite everywhere else.

Also, Americans love to be different then the rest of the world. Our measuring system, our pop culture, our sports.

well soccer players run about 5 miles a game, hardly ever get long stoppage time for injuries, and play for 45 minutes straight. To be honest, I don't know how you can convince someone to watch football, with all the commercials. Wouldn't it be nice if football played for one full quarter instead of three plays and a break? Also, soccer is cheaper to play than football. You need a ball, essentially, and that's it.

none of that explains why so many people in other countries watch soccer and not football. Who cares if they run a lot and it never stops. And what does it being cheaper have to do with how many people watch it? By that logic, they'd be watching wrestling not soccer since wrestling is cheaper.

I've had a pretty similar question to explain why I like American football.

It is one of the worlds oldest sports, and was taken around the world from one continent to another in a myriad of different ways from Slaves, to migrants, etc. because of how old the sport is, its popularity grows. Also, ther rules are kept to a minimum when compared to other sports like Hockey, or even Football.

Sports like Football and Baseball are so young that they havent had the time to be as popular as Soccer, but look at the progress they are making in that short span of time. America is only a little over 200 years old, so the sports are young on a world scale. Also, Soccer can be played almost anywhere in almost any conditions, cant say the same for hockey. One more thing, Soccer only requires a ball and some make shift goals, all these other sports require equipment that is not readily available in poverty stricken area's. Good luck getting a hockey puck in Somalia.

none of that explains why so many people in other countries watch soccer and not football. Who cares if they run a lot and it never stops. And what does it being cheaper have to do with how many people watch it? By that logic, they'd be watching wrestling not soccer since wrestling is cheaper.

Soccer's awesome. I don't watch MLS, but if I lived in Europe and was able to watch those players I would.

I can't stand baseball, but many people here seem to love it, and I have no problem with that. Soccer's great because those players have absurd skills and physical talent. The only crappy part are the ****ty flops, and I hope that eventually gets fixed somehow. You have no idea why soccer's popular while I have no idea why baseball's popular.

I think Soccer's more popular than wrestling because there's a ball involved. For some reason people like balls more.

The cheaper comment refers to the fact that when these poverty stricken individuals who watch soccer were kids, they couldn't afford sports equipment so they made make shift soccer balls. They then grew up playing soccer in their spare time and got attached to the sport they became good at as a youth.

I hate soccer. Soccer people have been trying to shove this stupid "sport" down the throats of Americans for 30 years now. When I was a kid, soccer people would say "just wait, soccer will eventually be one of the major sports in the U.S.". Years later, they're still saying the same thing. It's never gonna happen. Because it sucks.

I hate soccer. Soccer people have been trying to shove this stupid "sport" down the throats of Americans for 30 years now. When I was a kid, soccer people would say "just wait, soccer will eventually be one of the major sports in the U.S.". Years later, they're still saying the same thing. It's never gonna happen. Because it sucks.

That's because you didn't grow up watching or playing the game. Europeans probably have the same feelings for American football.

Now I don't like soccer and I agree it's boring to watch. But to say it "sucks", isn't exactly true because the rest of the world sure likes it. It's one thing to not care for a sport, but it's another to show blind ignorance. You my friend are starting to cross over into the latter of the two...

I don't understand why anyone hates on any particular sport

I love soccer. I played it and I watched it

I love hockey. I got the Caps game on right now

As a red blooded patriotic American I think NASCAR is stupid as hell. Why is it being shoved down my throat?

Hockey is kind of boring too, but at least it has fights. And at least NASCAR is an American sport that has action and real athletes who don't fake fouls and injuries. I'm not a NASCAR fan but I'd rather watch 10 hours of NASCAR than 10 minutes of soccer, that's how unwatchable soccer is. Soccer just sucks in every way to watch. Its ok to play for little kids.

Hockey is kind of boring too, but at least it has fights. And at least NASCAR is an American sport that has action and real athletes who don't fake fouls and injuries. I'm not a NASCAR fan but I'd rather watch 10 hours of NASCAR than 10 minutes of soccer, that's how unwatchable soccer is. Soccer just sucks in every way to watch. Its ok to play for little kids.

I'm starting to sense a bit of xenophobia in your posting. Just a little bit...:rolleyes:

Sorry, watching cars drive around in a circle for hours is boring as hell

I'd rather watch cricket for 3 days then NASCAR. All they do is drive a damn car, where the skill or challenge in that?

Soccer has some real athletes that have to use their feet to score. And us Americans never fake injuries like the Italians do

Hockey has some real bad ass athletes that have to ICE SKATE and have sick skills with their hands to score

Both are superior to NASCAR by a mile. I don't understand why NASCAR is always on ESPN

NASCAR drivers are athletes but Soccer players aren't? You haven't watched much Soccer have you?

My grandfather watches football to help him fall asleep, so arguments can be made to say any sport sucks. Just watch what you like.

Lots of people think the NFL is very boring and slow. Too much time between plays, timeouts, quarters, 2minute warnings, TV timeouts, 10minute challenges, halftime, etc. Foreigners even go so far as to call it a sissy sport because of all the pads and time between plays.

Just different perspectives, some people think Cricket is exciting.

I don't understand why anyone hates on any particular sport

I love soccer. I played it and I watched it

I love hockey. I got the Caps game on right now

As a red blooded patriotic American I think NASCAR is stupid as hell. Why is it being shoved down my throat?

This is truth right here. Why hate on a sport? If you're not into it why try to bash it? I dislike Nascar, yet thousands and thousands of people flock to go see cars constantly turn left. You don't see me bashing it though because I could care less. I can't stand people who badmouth soccer only because I know that they could never perform what those athletes can do. I played soccer throughout my life and each time I did I was in the best shape of my life. You think soccer is a sissy sport, how about all those rugby supporters who think football is a sissy sport? Because to a certain extent I would agree with them.

if you don't like a sport, don't follow it. No one is really shoving it down your throat. The minority view is the louder voice sure, but honestly, would you take being that minority voice or enjoy the domination your sport gets.

It's like liking a small market NFL team v. a large market NFL team. This stands out the most when you are not in your teams viewing area. The Redskins, as a large market team, will always be given preference for a primetime viewing spot or even as the "national game" in a given week. There were plenty of times this year where my Titans fans friends were hoping that the Titans game would become a national game, only to realize that the Redskins or Packers or Steelers got that game.

I don't care if someone wants to tell me baseball is better than football, I am happy liking football and not really any other sport. On top, I am happy with the amount of air time football gets in general.

As for soccer, sure they don't take as many hits, and players, especially in the european countries, tend to whine a lot. However, the stamina is just as high if not higher than football or basketball staminas. Also, there is just as much skill involved when compared to basketball or hockey. Finally, it's always good to have constant motion.

Sorry, watching cars drive around in a circle for hours is boring as hell

I'd rather watch cricket for 3 days then NASCAR. All they do is drive a damn car, where the skill or challenge in that?

Soccer has some real athletes that have to use their feet to score. And us Americans never fake injuries like the Italians do

Hockey has some real bad ass athletes that have to ICE SKATE and have sick skills with their hands to score

Both are superior to NASCAR by a mile. I don't understand why NASCAR is always on ESPN

I have to agree 100%.

Nascar is not a fun sport to watch at all. I would much rather watch the Masters or any other major than the Daytona 500. At least I get to see arguably the greatest athlete who ever lived in Tiger Woods as opposed to guys who drive around in cars. Now I've heard GOING to a Nascar race is fun and I'm sure it is just looking at the types of people who go there. But as a "sport" I just don't get it nor do I care about it.

You think soccer is a sissy sport, how about all those rugby supporters who think football is a sissy sport? Because to a certain extent I would agree with them.

That makes no sense either. Have a rugby player get blindsided on a kickoff return, and then ask him later if it hurt.

You want boring? Try 9 inninngs of guys scratching themselves....How about a 162 game season where 70, even 80 games can be lost and a team still makes the postseason? That makes each game much more insignifant that sports with shorter seasons. Don't get me wrong, I've played baseball my whole life and it was my second favorite sport growing up, but that is boring to watch.

Soccer on the other hand is one of the most intense sports from an endurance and skill standpoint. I played soccer one year in high school and immediately loved it more than baseball. It's high intensity and you don't get a break. I remember us running 7 miles a day during summer just to condition for the season.

Soccer is great, and very exciting....

That makes no sense either. Have a rugby player get blindsided on a kickoff return, and then ask him later if it hurt.

You're proving my point. Everyone has a different opinion on sports and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't ****ing matter. I can't stand people who sit there bashing a sport when there really is no need for it. If you don't like it then don't watch it. Of course thats way too simple for some people to do.

Archived