Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is a boring, unwatchable sport like soccer the most watched sport in the world?

bconngemini

Man, all the baseball bashers in here must have never been to Wrigley Field :) I love it, it's intoxicating, as is the Old Style and the chicks that hang out in the bleachers. Hockey gets a bad rap, but I live halfway between Detroit and Chicago so I have two good hockey teams I could go see. As for soccer, never got into it. I watch the world cup because it is a lot easier to follow then the hundreds of leagues across Europe and Central America. Seriously, why so many?! There's only one football league! That's why I think soccer and hockey are not as popular as football and to a lesser extent baseball. Baseball has one league where all the best players are, and then the supporting minor league. There's also a Japanese league and a latin america league, but for the most part we have the best players. Football is just one. Hockey and soccer have random leagues scattered across the world, it's unreal.

Baseball is a great sport, way way way more exciting than soccer, its not even close. Not to mention that it takes way more skill and strategy.

More skill and strategy? Soccer is one of the ultimate team sports (I'd rank it right behind football and in line with basketball). You just have no idea do you?

And more exciting? Like I said earlier....9 innings of playing with yourself in the field, 3-4 at bats a game, and a 162 game season. That's boring my friend.

More skill and strategy? Soccer is one of the ultimate team sports (I'd rank it right behind football and in line with basketball). You just have no idea do you?

And more exciting? Like I said earlier....9 innings of playing with yourself in the field, 3-4 at bats a game, and a 162 game season. That's boring my friend.

I've never understood why baseball has a 162 game season.

You could literally start watching in August and not miss a beat.

I've never understood why baseball has a 162 game season.

You could literally start watching in August and not miss a beat.

It's mind-numbing.

That's one of my favorite things about football: every second counts. You mess up on a play here and there and that can effectively end your season. Baseball, well you have 161 more tries at getting wins....

It's mind-numbing.

That's one of my favorite things about football: every second counts. You mess up on a play here and there and that can effectively end your season. Baseball, well you have 161 more tries at getting wins....

Could you imagine being a MLB player and by midseason you already know you're eliminated from the paloffs but you still have to go play 80+ games?

I would run away.:)

Could you imagine being a MLB player and by midseason you already know you're eliminated from the paloffs but you still have to go play 80+ games?

I would run away.:)

I'd probably flee the country :D

In football, unless you are the Lions, you almost always have a shot of making a playoff run in the second half of the season.

People should be ****ing about Baseball being boring, not soccer ;)

Washington is the farthest thing from a baseball town. There are so many baseball haters here because A) there wasn't a team in Washington for decades and B) the Orioles are held down by one of the worst owners in sports.

In my opinion, nothing compares to the intensity of playoff baseball. If you love a team and they are in a tight series, every pitch, every hit, every out is exciting. I like football more than baseball, but I must admit that being at a playoff baseball game is much more nerve-wracking than a playoff football game.

Hate to stereotype, but most people that aren't fans of baseball around here are purposely ignorant. They start chastising the game because they think it's cool. Honestly, it doesn't matter if the season goes all year-round. Just don't watch it. I don't hate NASCAR because it doesn't interest me. I can see why a person would like it, I'm not a stupid mother****er. It just doesn't interest me. It's beyond me why people can't leave it at that.

Soccer, on the other hand, now that's a dumb sport. ;) Just kidding. Honestly, I think it's just because people like to dance in the stands to "olayyyyy, olay olay olay" and scream. Half the time they show the crowd, I see most of them spinning in circles, looking in the sky, flailing their arms around. It's like a big party with an excuse to scream uncontrollably when a GOOOOAAAALLLL is scored.

Washington is the farthest thing from a baseball town. There are so many baseball haters here because A) there wasn't a team in Washington for decades and B) the Orioles are held down by one of the worst owners in sports.

In my opinion, nothing compares to the intensity of playoff baseball. If you love a team and they are in a tight series, every pitch, every hit, every out is exciting. I like football more than baseball, but I must admit that being at a playoff baseball game is much more nerve-wracking than a playoff football game.

Hate to stereotype, but most people that aren't fans of baseball around here are purposely ignorant. They start chastising the game because they think it's cool. Honestly, it doesn't matter if the season goes all year-round. Just don't watch it. I don't hate NASCAR because it doesn't interest me. I can see why a person would like it, I'm not a stupid mother****er. It just doesn't interest me. It's beyond me why people can't leave it at that.

When I spent time in Denver, I went to quite a few Rockies games. And that was fine; it was interesting. And yes, playoff baseball is amazing.

But that's only in October. If they cut the season by like.. 40 games, life would be great.

Soccer is boring to watch and so is basketball until the 4th quarter and so is baseball until the bottom of the 9th. Hockey is exciting and so is football but sadly constant commercials between drives.

Soccer is only appealing to me during the World Cup, NASCAR is a joke.

LOL Playoff baseball....playoff hockey, football and depending on the town basketball are all more exciting. I like going to baseball games but on TV it's like watching paint dry until it's the bottom of the 9th in a 3-2 series.

When I spent time in Denver, I went to quite a few Rockies games. And that was fine; it was interesting. And yes, playoff baseball is amazing.

But that's only in October. If they cut the season by like.. 40 games, life would be great.

Life would be great for the actual players, but it doesn't effect me either way.

And if they did that, no more records would be broken.

Baseball is a great sport, way way way more exciting than soccer, its not even close. Not to mention that it takes way more skill and strategy.

Yeah but soccer takes much more athleticism. I mean unless you're playing 3rd base or center field. Wayyy more endurance and the best soccer players go tat for tat with baseball players skills.

A preference to one sport or another is largely due to culture but doesn't explain everything.

For example I am English, grew up loving football (soccer) from the age of 5 onwards, season ticket holder for my club 'Wigan Athletic' and have followed them from one end of the country to another. I am also a lifelong Skins fan, from the age of 9 (when it first came to our shores with any degree of regularity on Channel 4). I can say that if I was able to I would also probably be a season ticket holder (or on the list at least) for the Skins. My support for both teams is equal.

Over here, Football (American) is often treated with the same disdain that some of you seem to have for soccer. There is no reason for it other than it's different from what the majority are used to; it's often argued that Football is too full of gimmicks, takes too long, lots of breaks in play, too much razzamatazz etc, etc... exactly the opposite to many of the soccer haters reasons; boring, long periods of play with no breaks, not physical enough etc. I guess it comes down to personal prefs and what you grow up being taught.

I hate Rugby, had to play it as a kid and hated it, no mental aspect to the game, and lacks style and to me its just a load of fat men rolling around the mud. Most Rugby fans hate Football (American) and a lot have no time for soccer, both are 'gay' allegedly... :rolleyes: Cricket, well words fail me (like watching paint dry), F1 racing etc yawn! But I come from a family that didn't enjoy these sports either and growing up in Northern England it was either Footy (soccer) or Thugby.

It's hard being a Football fan in Britain as you almost have to justify watching the NFL and supporting a team, and I don't mean jumping on the Pats/Colts/Dullass bandwagons, but properly supporting your team. Soccers appeal is that it is relatively simple to play but like most sports can be very complex indeed. Another reason is soccer is not confined to a single country and as a result it travels well. Real Baseball/Football are not the same (yeah I know they are played 'abroad' but it always looks fake?!). This is why it has such mass appeal around the world, the NFL is an American sport and should not be exported outside (franchise-wise) there are rumblings of a London based NFL team in a few years... RIDICULOUS!

One thing I will say though is that Soccer and Football has changed over the 30 years I've been watching them and not for the better either! Players today wouldn't last 5 mins back then in either sport, but that's a seperate rant :mad:.

As for the comment about a 1-0 scoreline, believe me I have been to some nailbiting low-score games, but if soccer isn't your thing its impossible to explain.

Archived