Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is a boring, unwatchable sport like soccer the most watched sport in the world?

bconngemini

Soccer is a game which takes time to enjoy. I have been playing since I was a little child and only a few years ago have I appreciated it for what it is. I think what defines soccer is the passion not only of the fans but of the players, its a sport where people have STRONG allegiances to their team and the competition between teams and fans is intense, think Skins vs. Pukes x 100. I also think you have a newfound respect for the game when you actually play it, when I watch a game its not the goals that excite me, but the passes, flicks, and movement of teams that make me stand out of my seat (I do go crazy when goals are scored dont get me wrong). I sometimes go to pubs that are dominated with people who support my fans and people break out in songs for the players or the history of the team..history is a huge component.

I will however add that you can never get me to watch the MLS, European or nothing for me.

Great Post.....

You have to live or at least go abroad to understand.

Soccer to most people is life Town vs town or in some cases religion vs religion ( Celtic vs Rangers)

I lived in Germany for many years And i loved going to games games are fun to watch but it is the atomsphere massive chants lots and lots of beers.

I go back often to Germany and always schedule my Holiday around a Bayern Munich game .

You have to live or at least go abroad to understand.

Soccer to most people is life Town vs town or in some cases religion vs religion ( Celtic vs Rangers)

I lived in Germany for many years And i loved going to games games are fun to watch but it is the atomsphere massive chants lots and lots of beers.

I go back often to Germany and always schedule my Holiday around a Bayern Munich game .

I did live abroad in Sicily, Spain, Germany and Italy and it still sucked those countries did embrace basketball but hey if you have only one activity,sport besides walking and riding a bike that you are reasonably good at as a country I guess they have to put 200% in backing it.

Now Lacrosse is what should be getting more love than Soccer in the US

opinions are like cornholes.

if lacrosse takes off, it's because people like it. i suspect lacrosse will be a niche sport for those that can't play football for years to come.

:movefast:

**dodges left hook from rdksbill**

opinions are like cornholes.

if lacrosse takes off, it's because people like it. i suspect lacrosse will be a niche sport for those that can't play football for years to come.

:movefast:

**dodges left hook from rdksbill**

Jim Brown best Runningback ever dominated in lacrosse

What do you have to justify? Just off the first look, NFL looks so much more cooler even from a foreigners perspective, who would you rather want to be: a 250lb musclehead quarterback that gets all the chicks when he wins the state championship or some 170lb soccer weakling immigrant who doesn't get any chicks because no one cares about girly soccer? Look at football players with their wide shoulders pads and how intimidating they look with the war paint and helmets, they are essentially warriors...and then look at soccer players mostly skinny guys with names like Arriaga who prance around and kick a ball. The most unathletic, unskilled and uncool position in football is the kicker, and kickers are basically star soccer players who graduated onto the better sport.

In my opinion, the only reason the NFL isn't the number 1 sport in Britain and Europe is because you guys can't afford the equipment or because you don't have enough big guys to play football, rugby players are small not 300lb.

Soccer is one of the hardest sports. More so than football IMO. You have to make your feet work like hands. That takes a lot of practice and skill. More so than being fast and catching or throwing a ball.

And David Beckem's wife is disgusting.

Soccer is one of the hardest sports. More so than football IMO. You have to make your feet work like hands. That takes a lot of practice and skill. More so than being fast and catching or throwing a ball.

Harder than football? :doh:

Soccer requires little skill and anyone can pick up the rules within minutes. The fact that soccer players are in shape and can run all day long isn't a skill and it definitely doesn't make it watchable. Marathon runners can run all day long nd who wants to watch sit there and watch that.

I don't agree with the OP but I guess everyone has an opinion. I like you love American football..yes its my favorite sport. But in the last year or so I started to watch a lot of English premier league in my opinion the best 'soccer" league in the world and its really grown on me. When you watching Arsenal play Manchester United or Chelsea VS liverpool (The top teams in the league) I can hardly sit through the whole game because its so interesting..the game never stops and if the quality is top class watching the best play this game is truly a sight to see.

That's why it is the most popular sport in the world...and I know some people may still hate it which is fine...the sport doesn't need us to still be loved by the rest of the world.

Soccer requires little skill and anyone can pick up the rules within minutes. The fact that soccer players are in shape and can run all day long isn't a skill and it definitely doesn't make it watchable. Marathon runners can run all day long nd who wants to watch sit there and watch that.

pick up the rules meet up with me somewhere and i will flat out embarass you in soccer having you chase me around trying to take the ball from me

if it requires such little skill why has the US never done squat in the world cup

our players are just as dedicated as other countries in the world its just that other players have the skills that the US national team doesnt

thats like saying all it takes in football is to be able to throw and catch

I'll give you that the rules are simply, but saying it requires little skill is just dumb.

Little skill? Have you ever played soccer? I'll guess you haven't.

Soccer requires a lot more skill simply because of the footwork. It isn't even close, soccer is the much tougher sport.

Oh, and learning rules doesn't not equal skill. You can't be implying that football is teh harder sport because the rules are more complicated

What do you have to justify? Just off the first look, NFL looks so much more cooler even from a foreigners perspective, who would you rather want to be: a 250lb musclehead quarterback that gets all the chicks when he wins the state championship or some 170lb soccer weakling immigrant who doesn't get any chicks because no one cares about girly soccer? Look at football players with their wide shoulders pads and how intimidating they look with the war paint and helmets, they are essentially warriors...and then look at soccer players mostly skinny guys with names like Arriaga who prance around and kick a ball. The most unathletic, unskilled and uncool position in football is the kicker, and kickers are basically star soccer players who graduated onto the better sport.

In my opinion, the only reason the NFL isn't the number 1 sport in Britain and Europe is because you guys can't afford the equipment or because you don't have enough big guys to play football, rugby players are small not 300lb.

I hope this was a joke otherwise I really feel sorry for you...I don't even know how to respond other than to say your not very intelligent and really have no clue what you are talking about.

if it requires such little skill why has the US never done squat in the world cup

our players are just as dedicated as other countries in the world its just that other players have the skills that the US national team doesnt

thats like saying all it takes in football is to be able to throw and catch

That is pure horse****. Our best athletes play football and basketball. If our best athletes like Santana Moss or Adrian Peterson or Steve Smith focused on soccer growing up, we'd tear up everyone. Can you imagine if we had someone who is 6'8 and as agile as LeBron James in goal? It would be completely unfair.

That is pure horse****. Our best athletes play football and basketball.

It takes more than pure athleticism to be a great at soccer, just like it takes more than athleticism to be successful at the two sports you mentioned.

If it all came down to athleticism sport would be pretty boring don't you think?

A perfect example of what Im talking about. If that's what you truly think, then it's no wonder you think its boring and unwatchable.

It's fine to think that way. Just know you are missing 99 percent of what is really happening on the pitch.

Archived