Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SHANAHAN FIRED: Redskins should FIRE Zorn and HIRE Shanahan (merged)

Frediemac

Zorn can be a Shanahan. Look what he had to work with!

Zorn + better Oline + big WR (kelly, we have our fingers crossed)= playoff team.

I wish I had your faith. There are teams with worst talent on offense than the Skins who still score more. I suspect Zorn will end up another Spurrier. I'd say Norv but Norv is a better play caller IMO.

Hope am wrong, pure guessing on my end. Zorn just strikes me whether its interviews, watching the play calling or Portis' comments about him to be one confused dude.

What an insightful reply! Thank you! :rolleyes:

:doh:

I hope that guy is not talking about crack!!

Seriously though, Zorn was doing well keeping defenses off balance, then he got the Gibbs 2.0 disease. His offensive scheming was worse than Saunders/Gibbs. It was sooooo predictable that I thought he was trying to throw the game. During the first half of the season, we were gutsy and throwing in gadget plays. Then the disease struck him.

I think Zorn can turn it around. It's just that I have always liked Shanahan in regards to his intensity, dedication, and intelligence.

Too bad that the Cowboys might somehow get him.

Snyder's hands are tied in this scenario.

Wouldn't it be great to get a Tom Brady type though. You never know!!:cheers:

No I like Zorn and his style but he needs a QB to win.........

So we don't need an explosive Back or a legitimate #1 receiver...just a QB and all is well in Vinnyville'? Doubt that seriously. We need a lot more than a QB. That's about the fifth position I'd address if the more pressing four issues were addressed and started to look promising. Campbell is not the issue with this franchise or the team. He's not the best, I agree with that, and he has a lot of room for improvement, but I can point to so many other things that piss me off when it comes to the Redskins. Campbell would be near the bottom-middle of the list. :2cents:

BTW since this is a Bring in Shanahan Thread, I'm just going to :doh: and ask, "What could he possibly bring that Zorn can't bring?" OH!, that's right....John Elway. I forgot :rolleyes:

Love,

The Caps Fan

I really think Zorn can be a great coach. The players, with a few exceptions, obviously love him (Such as demonstrated at the end of the Eagles game). I just think he's spread himself too thin trying to be the OC and HC both. I hope he's assertive enough to let Vinny know in no uncertain terms what he needs. As far as getting any big-time coach like Cowher, Shanahan, etc it ain't going to happen until Snyder unequivocally cuts the knot with Vinny.

BTW since this is a Bring in Shanahan Thread, I'm just going to :doh: and ask, "What could he possibly bring that Zorn can't bring?" OH!, that's right....John Elway. I forgot :rolleyes:

Love,

The Caps Fan

Yeah, its nuts. Zorn was a stud of a coach this season, game to game, you could see the progress and that he is a pure offensive guru. And the imagination, I could never guess what he would do next. :)

All the players clearly have faith in him. And when you watch him on the sidelines or in press conferences the guy looks beyond smooth and so in command that its almost silly for anyone to question how strong a coach he is.

Shanahan? Come on? Seriously, yeah he won some superbowls, yeah he's been to the playoffs a ton, yeah our running back had his best years under him, yeah he's done things here that we haven't done in eons, won 11 games, 13 games, 14 games in some seasons. And yes he made the playoffs 4 years without Elway.

But does he seriously come anywhere near Zorn's stature? Would we really trust that loser to run our offense over Zorn? Just having some fun, and its not directed at you. :) I just don't agree with those who imply Shanahan over Zorn, you must be on drugs drill.

Am not opposed to give Zorn another year, but I do think you have to take a leap of faith and assume and HOPE things will get better, because IMO Zorny didn't look too hot this season.

His offense scored less than the Lions -- as bad as many of us thought Saunders was, they scored more points last season under him than this season.

And for those that are crying about the O line, the QB, and the Wr's. Keep in mind the season before the O line had the same lineup but even worse with Randy Thomas and Jansen out all year, and Heyer was raw. Fabini was our starting guard. Moss was hurt for a chunk of that season and missed starts. And it was Campbell's first season as a starter.

Zorn had for the most part a healthy line, healthy Moss, more seasoned Campbell. Still they took a step back. And arguably it was an ugly to watch step back considering they got WORSE as the season progressed, not better. The plays IMO were unimaginative and the offense was flat out boring to watch.

The season before I came out of it feeling hopeful, that team improved in the home stretch, this team I came out with a feeling that this is possibly the start of bad times. So for me yeah it doesn't seem too crazy to talk about replacing Zorn with a proven winner.

People want to give Zorn another shot, I get that. But those that want to replace him with Shanahan, it doesn't even seem remotely outlandish IMO.

That's exactly right. We don't have dominate players outside of Portis on Offense so we have no choice but to play Ravens style of football. Problem is we don't have a good defense like the Ravens do to protect the failings on offense so we remain inconsistent.

Actually our defense it's pretty dang good (fourth ranked at end of this season?) and would probably be ranked first if the offense could actually put together a scoring drive more than once or twice a game.

Given the amount of time they had to be out there on the field working their asses off due to the Zorn "3-n-out" offensive scheme, the defense's accomplishments this season were quite remarkable.

R

Actually our defense it's pretty dang good (fourth ranked at end of this season?) and would probably be ranked first if the offense could actually put together a scoring drive more than once or twice a game.
Getting some damned pressure on the QB and some sacks would help us get even further too. Can you imagine the quality of our defense with that? :D

Getting some damned pressure on the QB and some sacks would help us get even further too. Can you imagine the quality of our defense with that? :D

I've always found it mind boggling how good our defensive statistics are (especially scoring) considering we get no pressure and no turnovers with under-par outside linebacker play.

I've always found it mind boggling how good our defensive statistics are (especially scoring) considering we get no pressure and no turnovers with under-par outside linebacker play.

What BigMike said! But we do keep them in check!

Like a lot of people have said (sad to say) are OL just isn't getting it done!

• 9 months later...

That's okay and probably not a surprise that there are a few threads being bumped,but be very choosy here. There have been and are several threads already discussing the topics in the threads you are bumping,and this could simply confuse things as well as add more clutter. Restraint would be a good thing to show in this case. Perhaps linking those threads in a current thread of that topic would work in a few cases.

That's okay and probably not a surprise that there are a few threads being bumped,but be very choosy here. There have been and are several threads already discussing the topics in the threads you are bumping,and this could simply confuse things as well as add more clutter. Restraint would be a good thing to show in this case. Perhaps linking those threads in a current thread of that topic would work in a few cases.

No problem, I'm just fascinated by the way all of these topics circle back every year!

Given the amount of time they had to be out there on the field working their asses off due to the Zorn "3-n-out" offensive scheme, the defense's accomplishments this season were quite remarkable.

The key to the post that you quoted was "We don't have a good defense like the Ravens." Now this year that isn't the case our defense has out performed the Ravens, but our defense isn't the dominating force the Ravens used to have. Our defense still doesn't create a lot of turnovers, and still doesn't strike fear into other teams.

I geuss im the only one who believes in the current state of the team,Vinny,Zorn,Campbell.

It wasnt but a few years ago everyone said we need Chemistry,now everybody wants to clean house.

It is clearly evident that Vinny has no chemistry with anyone except Dan Snyder. He made a rift between himself the the football team, specifically Coach Zorn the past few weeks. I will agree that our team needs chemistry and a chance to build together, but with the way the current situation is, I think its better to blow it up, bring in a new GM and coaching staff and have them be given the time to right this ship.

I think it was "continuity" they were trying to preserve.:)

My mistake,that was the word I ment to use.

I would much rather see Zorn struggle as HC now and continue to help him grow rather than these other Rookie HC's who do great for a year or two and then are gone.

I do however expect to see progress and that we havent had after our 6-2 start from last year.

But I also put a lot of that blame on the players who dont practice.

Archived