Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Blog: Jim Zorn Speaks Well of Colt Brennan, Not As Well As Some Would Like

mnb123

Am I just shamelessly pandering at this point? Probably. But two of the major subjects Jim Zorn covered in today's end-of-season press conference were Jason Campbell's development and the quality of the rookie class. And those two subjects converge in the person of Colt Brennan, rookie quarterback and presumptive backup to Campbell.

There have been commenters on this blog who have advocated elevating Brennan to the starting position, often suggesting that such a move should take place immediately. Those people, according to Zorn's projections today, are in for a bit of a wait.

On if he will relinquish some of his responsibilities next year:

"No. We got better at the quarterback position and we are going to get better this offseason, so you're going to notice something better even next year. Again, I feel like it is where one of my strengths actually is. My hope is that I am going to be stronger in the overall managing of the total team as I was this year, even getting stronger and stronger as a head coach.

"But coaching quarterbacks? I've got a great assistant in Chris Meidt and he takes on a tremendous amount of responsibility, but I'm still going to be involved with the QB's.

"The playcalling? I kind of like that."

Rest of the article can be found here:

http://blog.redskins.com/2008/12/29/jim-zorn-speaks-well-of-colt-brennan-not-as-well-as-some-would/

Seems like its 100% that Brennan won't be given a chance to start, or move up to 2nd string.

Its a shame, I hope we get a new FA QB to come in here to compete.

Respect your opinion, but I am not at all convinced the offensive woes are because of JC.

They aren't on him. Our O-line is horrible. There is no debating that.

But it would be unfair to say that JC at least isn't a little part of the problem.

You don't become one of the worst scoring offenses in the league if you have great QB play.

Well, the most popular player on the Redskins has a tendency to be the backup QB. That's because the player usually hasn't shown enough to piss off a majority of fans.

Right now, Colt is the brand new toy that everyone can't wait to play with. Course, they probably will find out that it isn't as bright and shiny as they thought, then they'd look for a new toy to play with.

I think Colt may already be a natural and gifted q.b., but Zorn wants a q.b. he can micromanage and mold into his own creation. Colt is the wrong guy for that because there're a few unconventional things about him. Zorn might do Brennan a horrible disservice by forcing him to unlearn the natural abilities that make him great to begin with. Speculation on my part, but that might be what's going on to some extent. Either Colt or Zorn might have landed in the wrong situation.

Play-calling certainly isn't one of Zorn's strengths. It's just something he obviously like to do.

As I said previously.... Zorn's offense doesn't have any play sequencing.... it doesn't attack weaknesses in the defense... nor does it have an identity.

All it consists of.... is 3 random plays with the goal of getting 10 yards to get a first down. And any joe schmoe could be an NFL coordinator with a game-plan like that.

.. Zorn's offense doesn't have any play sequencing.... it doesn't attack weaknesses in the defense...

I think you're wrong. As I understand it, one of the fundamental concepts in Zorn's scheme is to attack the weaknesses of the defense. Part of the difficulty in teaching it is that the receiver and the QB must make the same pre-snap read as a reaction to the defense.

I think Colt may already be a natural and gifted q.b., but Zorn wants a q.b. he can micromanage and mold into his own creation. Colt is the wrong guy for that because there're a few unconventional things about him. Zorn might do Brennan a horrible disservice by forcing him to unlearn the natural abilities that make him great to begin with. Speculation on my part, but that might be what's going on to some extent. Either Colt or Zorn might have landed in the wrong situation.

IMO, Jason Campbell would have surely failed if Al Saunders and Jim Zorn had not cleaned up his sloppy mechanics. I think the same is true of Colt Brennan. Their natural athletic ability was good enough in high school and college, but their poor mechanics would limit them severely in the NFL.

I think Jim Zorn gives them a chance to make it.

Seems like its 100% that Brennan won't be given a chance to start, or move up to 2nd string.

I'm not sure I see a "closed door" on Colt. Look at the comment Zorn made which seems up for interpretation.

"Colt Brennan got a much stronger arm once he got into our program... Now he's gonna have a little setback –he's gonna have that knee taken care of with a scope – and he'll be strong right into our offesason program. He'll have some tremendous leaps of improvement as he gets into our program, but I don't see him unseating Jason. I think he's just gonna continue to excel."

SSHOF

I would certainly hope not. The other thing I want, is if we're going to let Todd go (what a waste of a backup if you're scoring 10 pts a game and you don't give another guy with playoff experience a try) then can we PLEASE consider a FA QB who can run the WCO?

Seriously, if Jason is NOT a Drew Brees-type QB, then you do NOT foreclose the chance to win games, make the playoffs and maybe advance by not picking up a guy who can help you (or even spot duty?) I'm thinking back to Brees, Garcia, Farve even, Pennington. There is probably one or two other vet QBs I'm not thinking of but we have GOT to keep an open mind.

That or let Todd seriously compete for the spot. He's old--so what? WIN GAMES, unless the future is so damn bright you're thinking SB contention for years. Not "we got ourselves a game manager!"

What if' date=' for some reason, he looks 10 times better than Campbell in camp and in preseason games. Do we still go with Campbell since he was here first? I'm not a Colt fan. I just don't understand the reasoning that any position is closed. I fully believe everyone should have to earn their position each August[/quote']

I don't think anybody would disagree with that, even the most ardent JC supporters. Because if you are a JC supporter, you are a 'Skins fan.

And if CB is a better QB for the 'Skins, then I think folks will rally around him... until he throws an INT that loses a game in Dallas, and then he'll have to be run out of town on a rail.

First of all, I happen to be a major Colt fan. I live a mile from Aloha Stadium and I've held UH season tickets since just after the Island chain emerged out of the sea. Colt was a blast to watch play.

Having said that, I've got to believe Zorn cares enough about his own job that he's going to put the guy on the field who gives the team the best chance to win. And I'm assuming he knows the capabilities of his players a little better than most of us after working with them and being around them 25 hours a day for the past nine months.

But I do agree with the guy who was concerned that Zorn might mess up Colt's natural abilities. I've seen golf coaches try to change a golfers swing and end up ruining them. A tweak here and there is good. A major overhaul could be disastrous.

anything zorn says about JC and the whole QB position, I take with a grain of salt... I think there is a huge awareness to protect what must be a battered ego with JC... the press and fans here have been clear about what they think about him and I think zorn and company want to preserve any shard of confidence the guy has left...

this is his contract year and I'd bet our coaches and FO have no clue what to do with him in that regard...

SSHOF

I would certainly hope not. The other thing I want, is if we're going to let Todd go (what a waste of a backup if you're scoring 10 pts a game and you don't give another guy with playoff experience a try) then can we PLEASE consider a FA QB who can run the WCO?

Seriously, if Jason is NOT a Drew Brees-type QB, then you do NOT foreclose the chance to win games, make the playoffs and maybe advance by not picking up a guy who can help you (or even spot duty?) I'm thinking back to Brees, Garcia, Farve even, Pennington. There is probably one or two other vet QBs I'm not thinking of but we have GOT to keep an open mind.

That or let Todd seriously compete for the spot. He's old--so what? WIN GAMES, unless the future is so damn bright you're thinking SB contention for years. Not "we got ourselves a game manager!"

I'm hearing Hasselbeck will not be back in Seattle next year. I know Hass didn't have a good year this year, but I firmly believe it wasn't all him. I can't imagine a QB going downhill that fast. Not one year after a 4,000 yard, 28 TD season. I think an offseason to get healthy will help him and he'd be like a robot under Zorn and still only 33 by the beginning of next season.

I'm hearing Hasselbeck will not be back in Seattle next year. I know Hass didn't have a good year this year' date=' but I firmly believe it wasn't all him. I can't imagine a QB going downhill that fast. Not one year after a 4,000 yard, 28 TD season. I think an offseason to get healthy will help him and he'd be like a robot under Zorn and still only 33 by the beginning of next season.[/quote']

I can't imagine Hasselbeck wanting to be a backup. He'll want a guarantee that he'll at least have a shot at winning a starting job before he decides where to go. I'd love to have him as long as Zorn wants him but with Zorn already committing to Campbell, I just don't see it happening.

They aren't on him. Our O-line is horrible. There is no debating that.

But it would be unfair to say that JC at least isn't a little part of the problem.

You don't become one of the worst scoring offenses in the league if you have great QB play.

The line sucks, QB play isn't as good as it could be but honestly our WR's corps is not adequate and will not be until Thomas and Kelly get in the offense next year. We only have two actual WR's both of which are under 6 feet. Thrash is half a WR which I only say because he scored against Dallas.

You cannot expect a high powered passing attack with constant 2 WR routes.

Right now, Colt is the brand new toy that everyone can't wait to play with. Course, they probably will find out that it isn't as bright and shiny as they thought, then they'd look for a new toy to play with.

Can't we at least rip off the shrink wrap and take him out of the box?

I think you're wrong. As I understand it, one of the fundamental concepts in Zorn's scheme is to attack the weaknesses of the defense.

Here's something related to this point that irked me from the 49ers game. At some point early in the second half, BOTH of San Fran's starting safeties were out of the game with injuries. Yet I could see nothing in the Redskins play-calling that seemed designed to take advantage of that. Was Zorn, at ground level, even aware both safeties were out? If not, shame on his staff for not pointing that out. If so, why not try to attack that apparent vulnerability?

The line sucks, QB play isn't as good as it could be but honestly our WR's corps is not adequate and will not be until Thomas and Kelly get in the offense next year. We only have two actual WR's both of which are under 6 feet. Thrash is half a WR which I only say because he scored against Dallas.

You cannot expect a high powered passing attack with constant 2 WR routes.

This I am going to have to disagree with. There are plenty of good passing teams with average to below average WR corps

If Zorn is as stubborn as I suspect, he's gonna put himself into a difficult position, and here's how: look for the Wonder-Boy drafted out of Hawaii to light it up in pre-season AGAIN next season. (and I hope Campbell doesn't struggle.....anybody wearing a Skins jersey I want to see dominate the opposition) Should Campbell struggle, the FED-EX faithful will be so demanding from the stands to see Colt be given a shot (I can hear the 'We want Colt!" cheers already) that Zorn may have no other choice but to find out if Brennan can move the chains, and put POINTS on the scoreboard.

Ultimately, a FAIR QB competition should take place when camp opens up next year...and may the better play get the job.

What if' date=' for some reason, he looks 10 times better than Campbell in camp and in preseason games. Do we still go with Campbell since he was here first? I'm not a Colt fan. I just don't understand the reasoning that any position is closed. I fully believe everyone should have to earn their position each August[/quote']

I agree. Saying that Campbell will be the 2009 starter in December 2008 is ridiculous.

Archived