Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

[WSJ] RIAA to stop suing individuals..

Cooked Crack

After years of suing thousands of people for allegedly stealing music via the Internet, the recording industry is set to drop its legal assault as it searches for more effective ways to combat online music piracy.

The decision represents an abrupt shift of strategy for the industry, which has opened legal proceedings against about 35,000 people since 2003. Critics say the legal offensive ultimately did little to stem the tide of illegally downloaded music. And it created a public-relations disaster for the industry, whose lawsuits targeted, among others, several single mothers, a dead person and a 13-year-old girl.

Instead, the Recording Industry Association of America said it plans to try an approach that relies on the cooperation of Internet-service providers. The trade group said it has hashed out preliminary agreements with major ISPs under which it will send an email to the provider when it finds a provider's customers making music available online for others to take.

Depending on the agreement, the ISP will either forward the note to customers, or alert customers that they appear to be uploading music illegally, and ask them to stop. If the customers continue the file-sharing, they will get one or two more emails, perhaps accompanied by slower service from the provider. Finally, the ISP may cut off their access altogether.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122966038836021137.html?mod=rss_whats_news_technology

*Goes off to DL a CD*

You know, while I will be the first to admit that I have downloaded albums...many many albums, it really irritates me that people download music and refuse to buy albums. If I download an album it is to check it out first and if I like it I buy it. If I don't like it, I delete it off my hard drive. I don't want junk wasting space.

Please support the artists who make music to entertain you.

/endrant

Back on topic, I hate the RIAA and am glad they are looking for better ways to stop illegal downloading. I do not thing it will ever cease, however, I hope that it slows down and deserving artists still get their money.

You know, while I will be the first to admit that I have downloaded albums...many many albums, it really irritates me that people download music and refuse to buy albums. If I download an album it is to check it out first and if I like it I buy it. If I don't like it, I delete it off my hard drive. I don't want junk wasting space.

/endrant

Back on topic, I hate the RIAA and am glad they are looking for better ways to stop illegal downloading. I do not thing it will ever cease, however, I hope that it slows down and deserving artists still get their money.

I just spent $43 on iTunes.

One big thing you miss with downloading from Limewire is sound quality.

I still say the best way for the music industry to combat piracy is for ALL music companies to get together and set up an iTunes-like store where you pay a subscription and download ALL the music you want without DRM. If they would do that I would be the first one to sign up.

Not so fast guys. If your ISP finds you sharing these files, they can and will kill you Internet connection.

Keep that in mind. You'll have to remove the file in question to get it back on, and three strikes and you're out, meaning you'll need to get a new ISP.

So you're saying ISP's are willingly going to terminate customers and lose money?

Doubt it.

Not so fast guys. If your ISP finds you sharing these files, they can and will kill you Internet connection.

Keep that in mind. You'll have to remove the file in question to get it back on, and three strikes and you're out, meaning you'll need to get a new ISP.

So... I can tap into someone else's unsecured connection and they won't be able to delete the file, so they'll get their internet cut off? SWEET... I might just start my own ISP for all the people who's ISP gets terminated because of me...

I still say the best way for the music industry to combat piracy is for ALL music companies to get together and set up an iTunes-like store where you pay a subscription and download ALL the music you want without DRM. If they would do that I would be the first one to sign up.

The issue is that people do not want to spend money because they can find places to get things for free. I don't think availability really has anything to do with it.

/endrant

I support artists by going to their concerts. That's where they really make their money.

Archived