Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Slingin' Sammy has died. (Merged)

Larry Brown #43

While he was noted for his passing, Baugh was one of the best all-around players of his day. One season he led the league in passing, defensive interceptions and punting. In one game, he threw four touchdown passes and intercepted four passes.
Damn! :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Rest in Peace Sammy.

While he was noted for his passing, Baugh was one of the best all-around players of his day. One season he led the league in passing, defensive interceptions and punting. In one game, he threw four touchdown passes and intercepted four passes. He threw six touchdowns in a game -- twice -- and kicked an 85-yard punt.

"There's nobody any better than Sam Baugh was in pro football," Don Maynard, a fellow West Texas Hall of Famer who played for Baugh, said in a 2002 interview.

Was reading Don Maynard's comments about Sammy Baugh... classic. When discussing the 'greatest that ever played', Maynard says he always asks, "how was he on defense? how was his punting?" The last QB I can remember that went double duty was George Blanda. When Flutie made that drop kick it brought back memories of the way the game used to be. Slingin' Sammy, without a doubt one of the best to ever play. This is why the tradition of rookies going to the HOF is a great thing. If they are there in person, you don't have to read about them or listen to stories about them... you can actually meet them and shake their hand... priceless. #33 R.I.P. :logo: HTTR

Man I'm tearing up here and like everyone else I never even saw him play.

Greatness is an oft used term way too easily thrown around, but it was coined with you in mind #33, for you were, quite simply, the greatest.

RIP Slingin' Sammy, not only the greatest ever Redskin, but the greatest ever player to suit up and play this game.

God Rest. Our thoughts are with your family.

Hail.

Archived