Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

First time I genuinely feel disgusted this season

NoCalMike

The problem, plain and simple, is that the players run this team because there hasn't been any consistency at the coaching positions. When things start to go poorly during the season, our players do not feel the need to answer to anyone. They get in the mindset of "covering their own asses" and playing the blame game. Players deal with an overinvolved owner, and have no fear or respect for the head coach position. Look at Moss' touchdown celebration today.

To me, this was a perfect example of what we've seen from our players all season. One of our stars having a good game, celebrating to make sure they get put on the highlight reel and say "look, im a good player, its someone else's fault we lost, not mine."

The players are running this team, there is no leadership. All our stars go out and look to have a good INDIVIDUAL GAME, so they can't be singled out for being the reason that the TEAM lost. what they don't realize is that all that goes in the books is a loss. Sadly, Art Monk's quote about "making sure the team wins, and the individual accomplishments will take care of themselves" no longer seems to matter to our players.

They are far to comfortable in their positions. No one has any fear of getting benched for poor performances. If they are, they go crying to the owner and the media, and it works. This is combined with the fact that our lack of smart drafting means the players have no motivation to play hard or earn their spots because there is no competition.

Players are told they are good and the best on the team, but when they fail to produce, they don't rally and come out stronger, they blame someone else. Today i heard the commentators calling out numerous players on the team, Blades for his half assed blitzing, the whole D line for not getting pressure, the offense for failing to show any hustle despite being down late in the 4th quarter. The reasoning is simple, they have no motivation.

Sadly, a quote i heard a few weeks ago sums up our team perfectly. A bunch of housepets that go out and get fed to the wolves every week. Eventually a switch has to be flipped in the players minds that says:

"it doesn't matter why you lost, whether it was your fault or not, the fact remains that you lost. You are on a team that is the laughing stock of the NFL and teams look forward to playing because they know all they have to do is show up and wait for you to shoot yourself in the foot, and ditch your teammates at the first sign of competition."

I can only hope that today the players finally hit rock bottom. In my opinion it became painfully obvious today that this team has struggled for the better part of a decade, and the only constant has been the players half ass attitude. They may continue to blame the coaches, whine about being called out in press conferences for their lack of execution, but eventually they need to wake up and realize that THEY are the ones going out and getting embarrassed every week. Zorn gets fired? Maybe, but if he does next year another coach will come in that the players don't respect, they will bail on him as soon as things get tough, and we the fans will be stuck with another year of mediocrity and showboating players celebrating meaningless individual accomplishments.

P.S. Why can't i make new threads?

NoCalMike,

I have read many of your other posts this season.

I find it very hard to believe this is the FIRST TIME you have felt genuinely disgusted.

I have been critical plenty, but with guarded optimism. After today's game, I just don't know what there is exactly to be positive about.

Today was the first time I actually took off my jersey, hat and changed the channel.

Turned it off in the 1st quarter. I actually got some "honey do" things off my list. It was actually better spent time. In fact, I watch 1/2 the first quarter of our game and I haven't watched 1 minute of another game all day. Just not in the mood. Don't know if I'll watch anymore football this year. It's just too depressing. I'll wait until 2009. I need the offseason fast!

It really was rediculous. I just sat and had a conversation with my dad about this. EVERY aspect of this game was appauling. They didnt lose because of one aspect of the game, they lost because of EVERY aspect of this game. It was the first time I have been ashamed of the skins. I will wake up next sunday and every sunday following and put on my skins jersey, but man did they screw this one up. I really hope they can pull themselves up off the floor they built and finish the season right, but I cant say I believe that is gonna happen.

This is the best post I have seen tonight.

Too bad the Campbell-bashers are only blaming him.

Thank you for posting this. You spoke the words I think and feel.

The problem, plain and simple, is that the players run this team because there hasn't been any consistency at the coaching positions. When things start to go poorly during the season, our players do not feel the need to answer to anyone. They get in the mindset of "covering their own asses" and playing the blame game. Players deal with an overinvolved owner, and have no fear or respect for the head coach position. Look at Moss' touchdown celebration today.

To me, this was a perfect example of what we've seen from our players all season. One of our stars having a good game, celebrating to make sure they get put on the highlight reel and say "look, im a good player, its someone else's fault we lost, not mine."

The players are running this team, there is no leadership. All our stars go out and look to have a good INDIVIDUAL GAME, so they can't be singled out for being the reason that the TEAM lost. what they don't realize is that all that goes in the books is a loss. Sadly, Art Monk's quote about "making sure the team wins, and the individual accomplishments will take care of themselves" no longer seems to matter to our players.

They are far to comfortable in their positions. No one has any fear of getting benched for poor performances. If they are, they go crying to the owner and the media, and it works. This is combined with the fact that our lack of smart drafting means the players have no motivation to play hard or earn their spots because there is no competition.

Players are told they are good and the best on the team, but when they fail to produce, they don't rally and come out stronger, they blame someone else. Today i heard the commentators calling out numerous players on the team, Blades for his half assed blitzing, the whole D line for not getting pressure, the offense for failing to show any hustle despite being down late in the 4th quarter. The reasoning is simple, they have no motivation.

Sadly, a quote i heard a few weeks ago sums up our team perfectly. A bunch of housepets that go out and get fed to the wolves every week. Eventually a switch has to be flipped in the players minds that says:

"it doesn't matter why you lost, whether it was your fault or not, the fact remains that you lost. You are on a team that is the laughing stock of the NFL and teams look forward to playing because they know all they have to do is show up and wait for you to shoot yourself in the foot, and ditch your teammates at the first sign of competition."

I can only hope that today the players finally hit rock bottom. In my opinion it became painfully obvious today that this team has struggled for the better part of a decade, and the only constant has been the players half ass attitude. They may continue to blame the coaches, whine about being called out in press conferences for their lack of execution, but eventually they need to wake up and realize that THEY are the ones going out and getting embarrassed every week. Zorn gets fired? Maybe, but if he does next year another coach will come in that the players don't respect, they will bail on him as soon as things get tough, and we the fans will be stuck with another year of mediocrity and showboating players celebrating meaningless individual accomplishments.

I cant make new threads either. Anyone know why?

NoCal,

I haven't read all of the other posts but I had the same thoughts. I have 2 tickets to the game in a couple of weeks. I, for the 1st time in a long time, saw this team just straight not give a F to start this game. So sad.

I'm having to drive from the Reno area and though I've gotten the tickets for free and gas is affordable, I'm still not sure this trip will be worth it.

I too, HAVE to go, being that I don't get this chance often. I just have a real hard time leaving my family 2 days after X-Mas to go and watch a team that may not give it their all.

Last game I saw live was the 2002 loss @ SF.

Hope the tailgate is something to behold. PM me if you'd like to get together on the night prior to the game. I've got a friend who has a place in Napa and we're heading down on Saturday and hope to find some other Redskins fan to hang out with.

I had considered making the trip to SF with my son earlier in the year but now? No way in hell. Of course it doesn't help that I may not get a bonus this year but even if I did have the money I wouldn't spend it on these guys. They don't deserve it. Plain and simple.

:helmet:

I almost always make the game in SF when we play them out here and this year? I have ZERO desire to pay good money for players who are just going through the motions.

This is the first time watching this bunch that I think a lot of guys just quit. There's absolutely no leadership on this team, and I think we should just blow the whole thing up and start over. Trade Portis and get what you can for him, bring in a real GM and coach and let's start over. This bunch is done.

I think trading portis is out of the question...he's the only player on the team that has heart, even if he does run his mouth.

There has to be better things to do on a nice sunny afternoon than watch our pitiful skins take it on the chin again. I could have cut some firewood, hung Christmas lights, cleaned the garage or anything worthwhile. When it comes time to renew tickets next year I'll have to think long and hard about the high expense for no apparent goal of building a solid franchise, I can drink beer and watch it on TV or NOT, maybe this spells the end to watching any NFL games. I can't bear to watch the skins play like this. We need more to become more disciplined as a team.

This is the first time I've posted today. I don't even know what to say. To be honest I didn't even watch the game today. Am I suprised we lost? No. We have looked horrible in every aspect of the game the past five game. I am guessing we had no pass rush today. I am also guessing that our offense looked putrid, our offensive line was porous, and JC looked lost. Zorn made some bad calls, right? It's just sad, I don't know what changes need to be made other than a lot.

That Jason Taylor trade looks sooooo horrible. A second rounder and sixth rounder out the window. God we need those badly.

I somehow feel glad that i had to work and missed this one. I got up this morning and checked the score online and it was 7-0 a second later 14-0 and then 17-0 early in the 2nd and i was like damn the bungles are gonna thrash us. I am with the majority i think when i say i have never felt this disgusted by this team. This team has a true norv feel to it. I was thinking back to one year under norv and last game of the season we played the steelers and i remember everyone missing tackles including star players as champ bailey and just how no one seemed to care anymore. I think alot of people like Zorn but he has lost this team. These guys just aren't gonna play for him. And knowing how things have gone in the last 17 years we will probably win the last 2 and not make the playoffs but jack up our draft pick. Because thats what i have come to expect. I am a lifelong Skins fan i grew up in Virginia and die hard but this one was hard to swallow. I was cranky as hell this morning when i saw that score and was talking to my g/f and she said why not be like those people that root for whatever team that is winning. And it was the first time that i actually thought about it because i have never felt this disappointed in any team there has ever been in d.c. in my lifetime. We started off so well and had a relatively easy schedule and just went off the deepend. I feel so, well theres not even a word to say how disappointed i am.

and i do hate to say it but we need a parcells type that will get players that will play hard. I don't know if the dolphins will make the playoffs or not but they are playing hard and doing well with very little talent. Look at all the star players we got and our effort. If we had a coach who could weed out the guys who won't work hard and play hard or could exhibit some true toughness and leadership this wouldn't happen and yes that coach needs to be the one to do the drafting, with the help of a well seasoned gm that knows how to build a future. Enough with this season to season crap. I want a team that will succeed and play hard for years to come. I could handle a losing season, thats fine if the talent isn't there or maybe injuries but lack of effort is inexcusable. I'm not tooting the horn for bill cowher just yet but toot toot.

For the first time I think ever as a fan, I actually contemplated sitting on some tickets that I own and have already paid for (49ers/Redskins game). I came to my senses considering being out here in CA, i just don't have the luxury of being able to see the Skins play live very much.

Onto the game.

I have taken the lumps this team has gone through, and have come out every week justifying, excusing, apologizing for all of it, and would still come out swinging as a fan.

What I saw today was bad, real bad, on both sides of the ball. Taking all the comments I have read on this board throughout the season into consideration, I tried to focus in on a single aspect of the team that was causing us to lose, and much to my chagrin.

I COULDN'T.

Every time I wanted to blame the O-line, I saw Campbell drop back and hold, hold, and hold onto the ball more.

Everytime I wanted to blame Jason Campblell, I saw him drop back, with time to throw the ball, so we could send out a total of two WRs who were both doubled and couldn't get open if their life depended on it.

Every time I wanted to blame the passing game, I watched our running game perform even worse.

Every time I wanted to blame a turnover, I watched our defense, force a 3 & Out to put the ball back in the hands of our offense.

Every time I wanted to blame Zorn for the crappy play-calling, I saw a ball carrier, fumble or drop a pass, or an errant pass that sailed over a would-be receivers head.

I don't quite have the same issues with the defense, but I do find it very frustrating that this defense has suddenly not been able to get off the field on 3rd down, and the run defense has been atrocious over the last month.

For every WR we blanket in coverage, it seems like on the very next play, some other WR is getting wide open on simple routes.

Our Pass Rush, well umm, what else is there to say that hasn't been said? The only guy I really feel sorry for is Andre Carter, because he worked his tail off to improve and become a solid pass rusher the past three seasons, and we bring in Jason Taylor to help, and it has the opposite effect.

Whoever else is going to San Francisco in 2 weeks, I'll be there, and you can count on the pre-game tailgate party being what makes the trip worth it since I don't even think this team is capable of beating a medicore 49ers team that is AT LEAST showing signs of improvement.

*crawls back under rock*

I will see you at the Redskins-49ers game. Your comments are right on target.

Very good post.

Beware of rant:

Our problem has been a lack of an OL and JC's getting gunshy after spending so much time on his back. He needs to look at Eli and Romo sits to pee next week to see how they get up and play on despite spending time on the turf and taking a bunch of really tough hits. Eli was sacked 8 times today and Romo sits to pee was sacked 4 times and one hit to Romo sits to pee looked really nasty. He cant come out and act scared of any defense or they will have him for lunch. I had a feeling a few weeks ago that we should have given JC 2 games off to get his head together after being sacked 7 times in one game. Put in Colt for 2 games to get some experience and rest JC. The worst that could happen is that we lose 2 games. We have lost alot more than that now. The O-line has no confidence in JC and vice versa. The skill players are starting to complain about things and blaming coaches, et al.

Zorn isnt at fault for coaching wrong. He just doesnt understand how badly scarred JC's psyche is after dealing with JG and GW. Zorn just needs an OL that isnt always injured and a team dedicated to actually trying to play up to their abilities.

I am so sick and tired of the same idiotic ideas about this team. We dont invest in our OL while our D is good enough to keep us in every game. We have a great secondary and LB's. Our DE and DT's are good too. Our WR's are great on paper and our TE's are a great strength. Our RB's are excellent. So where is the weakness? OL.

I have been disgusted this season but I guess this tops it. I kind of expected a Skins loss. But what I can't stand is what seems like a complete lack of giving a **** from some of these players. The carefree attitude on the sidelines is very concerning.

I am afraid with Snyder owning the team it is always going to be this way. I live in NC, and you may not want to hear it, but Richardson who owns the Panthers knows how to run a franchise. I can see myself becoming a casual Redskins fan now, taking on the laxidaisical attitude of the players. I have already put all my Skins jerseys and gear out of easy reach in my closet. I might be gone from Extremeskins for a while, I really enjoy the gameday thread-but it is the same every week.:(

The problem, plain and simple, is that the players run this team because there hasn't been any consistency at the coaching positions. When things start to go poorly during the season, our players do not feel the need to answer to anyone.

I'm starting to belive this more and more.

This team is rudderless and for the first time in a few years really has no identitiy.

I like Zorn and I want him to stay, I just think he needs to really grab this team by the scruff.

These players are not accountable to the owner, the coach and EVEN WORSE ... their teamates.

I get the feeling they really don't care what the guy next to them thinks and I really get the feeling they don't really care if if they let that guy next to them down ...

this team,

is anything but ...

a team.

Archived