Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No offense to Sean Taylor, Art Monk, etc

TimmySmith

But can the Skins play a game without "honoring" someone? Or wearing off color uniforms? Without "rally towels"? Without piped in music? Without a screaming idiot of a PA announcer?

It's a late season, division, home game. I'll bet that the fans and players can get excited without invented distraction.

While I think we should pay tribute to Sean Taylor on this, the one-year anniversary of his tragic death, there is some legitimacy to what Timmy is saying. The game-day experience at FedEx Field has become gimmicky and more about the production and the marketing, than the product on the field. Granted, winning more consistently would cure some of that -- this current season notwithstanding. But, some have argued that a lot of "fun" aspect of attending a Redskins game has been replaced with a deep and growing chasm between the "haves" (blue-collar, real football fans) and the "have-nots" (wine-and-cheesers) instead of bringing everyone together in a more fan-friendly environment to cheer on the burgundy & gold.

Bill Simmons actually wrote an article about that very topic here: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/partone/081121

But can the Skins play a game without "honoring" someone? Or wearing off color uniforms? Without "rally towels"? Without piped in music? Without a screaming idiot of a PA announcer?

It's a late season, division, home game. I'll bet that the fans and players can get excited without invented distraction.

Ummm...its SEAN TAYLOR's One Year Memorial.

I guess we shouldnt honor him? Then people will think Snyder is the Grinch or something.

Perhaps we honor him in the summer and sell tix and have 90k idiots show up in 90 degree heat for an honoring at the most absurd of times?

When should we be honoring our all time great players....mid March when the season is over and football isnt in the air.

Is this really a thread??? Am I really responding to something this absurd?

While I think we should pay tribute to Sean Taylor on this, the one-year anniversary of his tragic death, there is some legitimacy to what Timmy is saying. The game-day experience at FedEx Field has become gimmicky and more about the production and the marketing, than the product on the field. Granted, winning more consistently would cure some of that -- this current season notwithstanding. But, some have argued that a lot of "fun" aspect of attending a Redskins game has been replaced with a deep and growing chasm between the "haves" (blue-collar, real football fans) and the "have-nots" (wine-and-cheesers) instead of bringing everyone together in a more fan-friendly environment to cheer on the burgundy & gold.

Bill Simmons actually wrote an article about that very topic here: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/partone/081121

Did everybody forget who our owner is?

The rally towels and stuff i agree with....its stupid.

Every MNF game over the past month has had the home team give some sort of gimmick away.

Saints this week - Black Flags with LOGO on it. (vs. Packers)

Bills - white rally towels (vs. Browns)

Cardinals - white rally towels (vs. 49ers)

Titans - baby blue T-shirts (vs. Colts)

Redskins...nothing actually but we did give out towels for the following Dallas game.

Watch the Houston vs. Jax game this upcoming Monday.....there will be something given away....its not just the Redskins as much as everyone wants to bash us.

I admit its dumb, its not just the Redskins.

I don't know how you can ***** about honoring two players who just made the hall of fame and one who passed away just one year ago. I think its pretty ridiculous NOT to expect something like that.

So far as everything else goes... if you really hate it so much why do you even bother going to games?

I thought you were in prison for Cocaine trafficking?

Seriously, have you ever been to a sporting event that "didn't" have a gimmick? I went to a minor league hockey game this year and the gimmicks, halftime shows and commercial breaks were the entertainment unto itself. Not to mention the mini-blimp dropping chick-fil-et coupons. I can remember going to RFK as a teenager and them having some sort of halftime show. Unfortunately that's the way it is with sports. Fans don't come to watch the game as they do the "postgame fireworks," fanzone or any other ridiculous thing.

I actually hate the fanzones at any park. Usually the minor league teams feel that their product (the team) sucks so bad that they have to have something else to entertain kids and their families. Why do you bother buying a ticket to a baseball game if you aren't going to watch baseball. How about you show your damn ADHD kid how wonderful sports can be instead of shoving cotton candy down his gullet. Better yet, if they aren't ready to sit and watch a full game or you came for just the "postgame" fireworks, how about you don't come at all and GTFO of my face.

When I lived in Waldorf, I went to a Baysox game. Little did I know, but it was a double header makeup game. DH's in the minor leagues play two 7 inning games. This woman behind me pissed and moaned for 5 hours about when the games would be over to watch the fireworks. I finally turned around and said, "This isn't the effin 4th of July and if you aren't here to watch baseball I wish you'd go sit someplace else, because I'm getting tired of hearing you complain." She left.

unbelievable. so we cant pay tribute to a fallen brother now? thats a gimmick?

you should be ashamed of yourself.

and the fact that youre complaining about Monk being honored shows that you have no pride either. he was a redskins great. he did everything in burgundy and gold and we SHOULD honor him. he DESERVES it in the least.

What's wrong with just playing football every once in a while?

I will honor ST, same as everyone. Wouldn't a tribute be better if it special, instead of part Snyder's weekly sideshow.

How the HELL can you say this? What way is more fitting for a tribute than the game 1 year after he died? Jesus its not like Snyder is having these things every week for Taylor. I honestly can't think of a way to make it more special or perfect than the way this organization has treated it......

What's wrong with just playing football once in a while? Nothing, but what IS WRONG and UNACCEPTABLE is to not honor a past teammate and claim that this weeks ceremony is an excuse for promotional material.

I thought you were in prison for Cocaine trafficking?

When I lived in Waldorf, I went to a Baysox game. Little did I know, but it was a double header makeup game. DH's in the minor leagues play two 7 inning games. This woman behind me pissed and moaned for 5 hours about when the games would be over to watch the fireworks. I finally turned around and said, "This isn't the effin 4th of July and if you aren't here to watch baseball I wish you'd go sit someplace else, because I'm getting tired of hearing you complain." She left.

:rotflmao:Funny story. Almost as laughable as the OP

Archived