Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our offensive play calling is horrible ...

mi6

Only call I really had a problem with tonight was the Campbell roll-out and pass to Sellers on 3rd and 2 inches inside the Seattle 5. Thought he out-smarted himself on that one and bailed Seattle out. You've got a power rush line, a slam back in CP, a 270 fullback and a 6'4" QB. I was calling for, first option, a Campbell sneak on a quick snap, second option, a quick hit handoff to Sellers on a quick snap, or Portis. As it was, we asked a 270 fullback with average-at-best hands to catch one on the run. Thought the call was too cute given the OL was having its way on th eurn at the time. 3 inches.

Not wanting to disagree with the great OZ, :laugh: opps I mean OM, but since we are talking hindsight. Its a great call if Sellers catches the football.

All this talk about play calling is BS. You should be talking about execution.

holy ****, we moved the ball every time we got it in the 2nd half, we took the ball from the 2yrd line with 6mins left and took it all the way down to the 30yrd line with like 1:20 left if we didn't fumble it we would have ran the clock out and won.

quit your ****in' and just take a win, holy ****!!!!!!!!!!!!

:applause::applause:

Dale if you're satisfied with the win okay, but obviously you don't know to much about the game of football. look at all the stats....ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the stats and tell me what you think should the outcome should of been? Like i said im glad we won but still disappointed 20-17? you shouldn't win byu just 3 points when you're almost 2-1 in TOP.

But that isn't really something to ***** about, just something that needs to improve. We will, new offense. At least we can move the ball.

I suggest you do likewise. Take your senile comments elsewhere.

None of our wins have been by more than 7 points. Good teams, and great offenses bury their opponents. Remember the drubbing we took from the Patriots last season... it shook us quite a bit for the next few games.

The underlying fact remains we are just average. We have yet to score more than 30 points this season, and defeat one of our opponents by 2 touchdowns.

Nancy, we're 7-4, not 4-7.

:rolleyes:

In your ear.

I love how the JC faithful defend him to any level. Listen hes a decent QB at best ok, the guy may not make a terrible mistake like throwing an Int but how many times like today Moss is open and you've got to throw the ball to the indise its a TD if you do he and he throws is outside again.

Thank you for calling me a part of the JC faithful when all I'm saying is that it's not fair to pin all the blame on him. Yes, I have a giant man-crush on him. Marry me Jason. :rolleyes:

It'd be nice to more consistent protection (which he got today) and more reliable catching. That's all. He's not a playmaker, no, but he's a huge upgrade over anything we have now or have had this decade and he's shown clear improvement. Don't you think Zorn or someone in the media (as sketchy as the media) would've called out JC if he was THAT bad? The only hating I hear comes from this board.

I don't think Seattle looked like a 2-8 team. Their defense was solid, their running game was decent, and our secondary was hard-pressed to neutralize their passing game.

Zorn went with the higher percentage chance for a win via the running game. Our O-line was bigger than their D-line, and we could wear them down. That's what happened in the 4th quarter.

Also, Clinton Portis is the difference-maker -- he's the mainspring of the offense. So, calling a gameplan heavy with the run, was the smart thing to do.

correction: Seattle didn't look like a 2-8 team against us.... against everyone else, i can assure you, they will

I suggest you do likewise. Take your senile comments elsewhere.

None of our wins have been by more than 7 points. Good teams, and great offenses bury their opponents. Remember the drubbing we took from the Patriots last season... it shook us quite a bit for the next few games.

The underlying fact remains we are just average. We have yet to score more than 30 points this season, and defeat one of our opponents by 2 touchdowns.

And were you really expecting more from a rookie head coach and a new offensive scheme????

If this was late in the second year or even the third year and we were performing like this then I could agree. But right now any win is good.

Dale if you're satisfied with the win okay, but obviously you don't know to much about the game of football. look at all the stats....ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the stats and tell me what you think should the outcome should of been? Like i said im glad we won but still disappointed 20-17? you shouldn't win byu just 3 points when you're almost 2-1 in TOP.

Whaaaaaa! Whaaaaa!

You stat guys crack me up.

Here's a stat: 7-4.

:rotflmao:

I'd beg to differ a bit. Sellers generally has very good hands and will usually catch those. He just dropped it is all. I agree with you that we probably should have run the ball but that's hindsight.
Not wanting to disagree with the great OZ, :laugh: opps I mean OM, but since we are talking hindsight. Its a great call if Sellers catches the football.

That's the whole point, fellas. It depended too much on execution where simple would have been the far higher percentage call.

The play depended on a 270 fullback, who had been going hand to hand combat all game long, to run a timing, lateral-motion route, and make a catch on move--he did not.

It depended on a QB throwing an accurate pass on the move, which it was not--it was high.

There were at least two variables introduced that were unecessary. Too many things had to go right. They didn't, and the play failed.

The OL was owning on the run. The QB is 6'4", 235. They needed 3 inches. A rollout pass to a fullback with average hands was a far, far lower percentage play than I thought the situation merited.

But it's cool to disagree. Next time we meet across the field as NFL head coaches we'll settle this. :cool:

holy ****, we moved the ball every time we got it in the 2nd half, we took the ball from the 2yrd line with 6mins left and took it all the way down to the 30yrd line with like 1:20 left if we didn't fumble it we would have ran the clock out and won.

quit your ****in' and just take a win, holy ****!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please stop drinking the koolaid. Do you realize the Redskins were playing a Seattle team that came into this game with a 2-8 record? This game should have never been close. The Redskins offensive playcalling was way too predictable and it brought back memory of Gibbs' team from last year.

Om correctly points out a play where the Skins went against the percentages, and opted for the pass to Sellers. Most likely it was an attempt to 'steal' a TD by surprise in the redzone. Considering our redzone woes, maybe it was worth the gamble.

But I agree with Om. Definitely, the straight forward play -- the run through the line -- was the higher percentage play. After all, the Skins were able to convert most of those plays into first downsm, throughout the game.

... On the other hand, whenever Campbell passed the ball, it was more of an 'adventure.'

I agree with the real problem, execution. I think Zorn was playing the hot hand to end the game and it was wise. Portis proves his is the work horse for us. I wish he were healthier, but for him to play with the grit he showed today was something to see. Execution will be what separates us with the TDs over FGs.

I'd beg to differ a bit. Sellers generally has very good hands and will usually catch those. He just dropped it is all. I agree with you that we probably should have run the ball but that's hindsight.

This is the first game where I think Sellers was used somewhat effectively.

We need to get Devon, Malcom, Fred, Chris, and Santana on the field and spread the defenses. Now, that would really open up the offense. :point2sky

The offensive play calling is just plain horrible. It's so predictable it's not even funny. Especially, during the 4th quarter where there is an over emphasis on the run. Yes, it's important to run off the clock, but we need to be somewhat balanced. If not, there is a strong possibilty that the opposition could put 8 in the box, and attempt to create a fumble.

If the Seattle Seahawk win today's game, it is because we just DON'T have the ***s to go for the kill. For me, it's no more Betts in the 4th quarter. He has fumble-itis. Would prefer having Rock run.

Thank heaven, Hasselbeck threw an interception. What an ugly victory. We couldn't even easily handle a 2-8 team! This offense with Jason at helm is aweful!

It was actually a balanced attack. We just have trouble scoring in the red zone for some damn reason and Suisham seems to have lost some power in his leg.

It's also hard for JC to run a WCO, that's the reason why Coach Zorn has him dropping back deep instead of the 2 and 3 step drops with the quick releases on the slants. He tried it early in the season and JC played horribly. Once he changed it, JC started playing better.

Right now I think we are using the screen pass way to much to bail us out.

It seems like whenever Campbell gets sacked or Portis gets stuffed, the VERY NEXT PLAY is always a screen, whether it is to Portis or Cooley.

I think part of this is also not having enough weapons on the field but with Malcolm and Devin coming back and both being available starting next week, this could change.

Archived