Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please Welcome a New United States Citizen!

pjfootballer

Congrats!!! We went through exact same thing. My wife is from Colombia and was just sworn in last May. She to did her own paperwork and picked up English very quickly and has a good job as in International Sales with UTC. She first came to US in '99 and I met her in '01. BTW, she studied hard for her test and was only asked 3 questions.

Congrats!!! We went through exact same thing. My wife is from Colombia and was just sworn in last May. She to did her own paperwork and picked up English very quickly and has a good job as in International Sales with UTC. She first came to US in '99 and I met her in '01. BTW, she studied hard for her test and was only asked 3 questions.

To speak further on our experience...at the conclusion of the swearing in the judge ask if anyone wanted to get up and say anything. An Iranian man stands up and begins ranting about how long the process took and the investigations he had to go through and asked the judge if he should be happy or upset about it. The judge just looked at him and said "You should be happy...you are now an American citizen". During the guys rant all I could think of was wear is this guy hiding a bomb.

After his rant an obviously happy older gentleman from somewhere in the old Soviet block gets up and starts talkinmg about how great America is and he never met nicer poeple than Americans and he is just so thankful to have gone through the process to be a citizen...he was in tears.

I know that it is a long process, but it's so nice to hear of those that come to the US, learn the language and follow the appropriate channels to become a citizen of this wonderful country. And it tops it off when you hear of how successful they have become on their own accord, by furthering education, opening businesses and positively contributing to society.

It warms my heart to hear stories of those that recently became citizens and the pride that they have in doing so. It's those stories that make me realize how good we do have it here and how so many natural born citizens are so ungrateful.

Send your wife my congratulations! I wish you both all the best!

That's great to hear! :welcome: your wife to this great USA.

She is a Skins fan right? :D

She's not a sports fan at all, not even her native soccer, but she always asks me what the score is and how the Redskins are playing. She buys me Redskins stuff all the time and when we went to the Renessaince Festival a few weeks ago, she rocked her ladies Redskins shirt.

After his rant an obviously happy older gentleman from somewhere in the old Soviet block gets up and starts talkinmg about how great America is and he never met nicer poeple than Americans and he is just so thankful to have gone through the process to be a citizen...he was in tears.

I have to say, I kind of teared up myself when she received her certificate. The best part was when she went to the back with a group of people and they surrendered their green cards. Right then, they knew it was a dream realized.

Was one of the questions who won the World Seriesr? Or is that one of the old questions?

They asked her who won last years Superbowl, and she said those f****** Giants. :laugh::D

Congrads. I have a good friend trying to become a citizen, but not having much luck. I can see how hard it is. Young guy and he just had a kid with his girl and is trying to be legit.

Tell him to be patient and it will come. It seemed like a long process in retrospect, but I just realized how fast it went by.

We paid the paralegal the first time to start the paperwork, but the more we looked at lawyer fees, we said, screw it, and did it ourselves. She studied hard and knew about 97 of the 100 questions and of the 3 she, knew them, but not real well. You get a 6 in 10 chance to answer 6. Once she answered 6, they didn't ask her anymore. She had to write a sentence like, "The ball went very far," and read a sentence like, "The sky is gray with clouds." She's getting her masters in accounting right now, so it was easy for her.

Congratulations to you and the wife.

Peru is a gorgeous place and the people I met were nice, don't get me started on the food. :D

Arroz con Pollo, Ceviche (gives me gout though), lomo saltado, Aji de Gallina, (she eats Cau Cau- tripe which I don't care for), Yucas, they also eat Guinea Pigs (she wanted me to try it, but I just couldn't-maybe next trip), and I love to go to a street vendor in the Andes and get a cob of hot Choclo. The corn with the HUGE kernels.

And for drinks, Chicha Morada, Pisco Sours (Yum) and Inca Cola.

Did I make you hungry?

She had to write a sentence like, "The ball went very far," and read a sentence like, "The sky is gray with clouds." She's getting her masters in accounting right now, so it was easy for her.

Yep...same thing with the reading and writing. My wife also has a degree in Accounting...from Colombia. She wants to go back to school. Yeah that lawyestuff is for the birds...I'm proud of her handling all herself.

I've always wondered this.

Since most of her family is still in Peru and are likely very proud of where they come from, how do they feel about her giving up her Peruvian citizenship to become an American?

Her dad is very proud of her. But technically, Peru recognizes dual-citizenship unlike the US, so when she goes back, she'll use an American passport with a Peruvian ID card. She'll still be Peruvian in her country's eyes. He has a very successful law office in Lima. His office helps with collections on bad debts and the Peruvian version of bankruptcy.

He would not move here unless he would retire, but honestly, he has his own driver, maid and laundry lady, so it wouldn't be worth it for him to move here. It is not uncommon for "middle class" to have a maid. You don't have to be rich to have a maid. The cost of living is very cheap there. He owns his own home and business, but he's not rich by any means. He's pretty much got it made there. His home is modest, a two story house.

I don't know what her mother said last night. Her parents are separated. Her brother has no urge to come to the US, even to visit. He like being in Peru. Actually, most of her family like her grandmother, aunts, uncles and cousins are in Florida right now, so only her parents and brother are still in Peru, along with an Aunt and some cousins.

My wife always wanted to come here to live, so I'm sure it's not really a big shock to them. She's been here for almost 5 years and I think the quickness of the marriage was more shocking. I showed her the thread last night and she got embarrassed but wanted to thank you all for your congratulations.

Thanks. I've always wondered that. I just don't know how I feel if my child were to move to another country and give up their citizenship because I love America.

And that's nice that she has some family in the states. I guess I just made the assumption she was the first by you mentioning that her dad was still in Peru.

Tell her it's nothing to be embarrassed by! We are all very proud of her and wish her well! We think it's great! :)

Have you been to Machu Picchu, pj?

edit: oops, spelled it wrong.

I went for the first time last March. We went to Lima (of course), Cuzco, Machu Picchu, Puno, Lake Titicaca, drove through Juliaca (garbage dump of a city-looked like a war torn city) and left from the Arequipa airport to go back to Lima. It was probably the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Archived