Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2951-3.jpg

Trappistes Rochefort #6 Belgian Ale: A: 4.5 out of 5.

$5.75 per 11.2 oz bottle.

Appearance: Golden colored ale, cloudy with a lot of particulate most settles to the bottom but a lot of it continues to float within the brew, thick white medium density head that clears fairly quickly.

Aroma: Complex, sweet and yet spicy. I could smell the hops but the sweetness of the malts is present as well. It also has some pronounced fruit smells.

Taste: This is where you just want to climb inside the glass. Rich malts moderate sweetness, light hoppiness. The flavor is so well blended that it seems like you catch them all at once. It is simply delicious, the flavors are very well balanced with the light hopps, you can also taste the sweetness. All of these flavors really mix well and are very nice. I can't imagine a brew much better than this.

Mouthfeel:

Moderate density, smooth, lightly carbonated, near the bottom you'll get the particulate more, but it doesn't detract.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

• 2 weeks later...

Just had me one of these:

66478_300x0.jpg

There's a shelf at the beer store with "Luxury Beer" (that's how Young's describes it's Double Chocolate Stout. It made me feel like a total snob to buy a bottle for over 5 bucks, but I kept hearing great things about this beer. There were a few bigass Dogfish Head beers. They looked cool but were about 14 bucks. All of them had a description written on them that was to the effect of "this is the original recipe of beer, made by cavemen." I scanned that shelf about 10 times back and forth until I settled for the Young's.

First of all, the smell is nothing like the taste. In fact I barely smelled anything. And it's actually quite easy to describe the taste of this beer. Perhaps I'm not good at "detecting taste notes" but this mother****er straight up tasted like chocolate pudding. The first thing I thought of was Bill Cosby. I mean it was frighteningly reminiscent of having a chocolate milk. This isn't one of those stouts that will make people squint after taking a sip. This should be something you get for dessert at Cheesecake Factory.

I enjoyed it, but it's so chocolaty that I could have put a shot of bourbon in a milkshake and been just as satisfied.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I just tapped a keg of Victory Hop Devil a couple of weeks ago.

It does have a relatively high ABV of 6.7%, but it's so flavorful, that you don't even notice it.

It's actually replaced Clipper City's Loose Cannon as my "house" beer.

Everytime this thread is resurrected, I feel like having a beer.....

how dare you replace the loose cannon?!?! thats great stuff.

i had some victory hop devil last year, and it is good stuff.

guess we both love hoppy beers.

what the heck is up with the harpoon chocolate stout? very odd. not really any body- just a not very heavy chocolate taste with an alcohol finish reminiscent of a shot of vodka. really a strange brew. love the oak barrel stout from dominion and the heavy seas imperial stout, and this stout is really nothing like them.

i do like the harpoon IPA, though.

Here's a very good bock.

INTENSE AND WARMING, A MEAL IN A BOTTLE.

Brewed since the 13th Century, these malty lagers are still some of the biggest and most sophisticated beers around. Bock is the German word for "billy goat" and pictures of goats graze the labels on many bocks and double bocks. We shied away from the goats on our label, but we certainly didn’t shy away from the use of malted barley in this beer.

We use an enormous amount of malted barley, half a pound per bottle, to brew this intensely rich lager. Its deep mahogany color and velvet smooth flavor is a testament to the beer’s high quality two-row malted barley.

Samuel Adams Double Bock was first brewed 20 years ago as the first of our Samuel Adams seasonal offerings, and it is now one of our most acclaimed beers. Double Bock became one the first big beers to be brewed here in the US, and we are now happy to offer it year round.

nameDB.jpg

Guest%20-%20Padilla%20Obsidian%20and%20Sam%20Adams%20Double%20Bock%20-%203.jpg

http://www.samueladams.com/imperialseries/doublebock.html

Edited by aREDSKIN

Spread the News!

Why beer is the latest hope in fight against cancer

It might be your preference to crack open a bottle of red wine at the end of a hard day but you may be better off pouring a pint.

Researchers at the German Cancer Research Centre in Heidelberg have discovered that beer contains a powerful molecule that helps protect against breast and prostate cancers.

Found in hops, the substance called xanthohumol blocks the excessive action of testosterone and oestrogen. It also helps to prevent the release of a protein called PSA which encourages the spread of prostate cancer.......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1243754/Why-beer-latest-hope-fight-cancer.html

Heidelberg....its a fun word

Sam Adams has been voted Best MacroBrew by this Beer Snob :applause:

Although I Stay away from the Cherry Wheat

And the Cranberry Lambic, I have to say that its the first Sam Adam's that I didn't like, WAY too sweet, it has cranberries and maple syrup in it, I've still got another one in my fridge anyone want it?

And the Cranberry Lambic, I have to say that its the first Sam Adam's that I didn't like, WAY too sweet, it has cranberries and maple syrup in it, I've still got another one in my fridge anyone want it?

Yeah my girlfriend will take it. I give her the Cranberry Lambic and Cherry Wheats out of my mixed packs lol.

Yeah my girlfriend will take it. I give her the Cranberry Lambic and Cherry Wheats out of my mixed packs lol.

I would give it to my wife, but she doesn't drink beer. I really wanted to like that lambic too, but woof I had to gulp down the last 1/4 glass just to say I finished it. I have a 1 per night limit and I was really tempted to break that limit and have a real beer after that stinker.

how dare you replace the loose cannon?!?! thats great stuff.

i had some victory hop devil last year, and it is good stuff.

guess we both love hoppy beers.

LOL! Agreed. Loose Cannon is my favorite.

The "problem" is the ABV. 7.25% is a tad high, especially since the majority of my beer glasses are pints. ;) I still drink Loose Cannon, but I buy it by the six-pack.

I was pleasantly surprised on Saturday night. We went to Armadillo's,(in Annapolis), and they had Clipper City Beers on tap. Loose Cannon and Winter Storm.

The Hop Devil is fantastic beer and, with an ABV of around 6.7%, it's a little less high octane. If they could put all of the flavor of a Loose Cannon, in a lower ABV beer, I would buy it. The only thing close, IMHO, is Duclaws Brewing Co. Hellrazer or Venom. They're 6.2% & 5.6% respectively.

They're both hoppy,(though not as hopped up as Loose Cannon), I prefer Hellrazer because of the bitterness, and the lower ABV. They also use a different style of hops, that makes the Hellrazer more refreshing.

If you're a hophead, you can't go wrong with any of the above.

Use them to make beer batter for onion rings, or fish & chips.

With the exception of the Boston Lager, and one of the porters, I'm not a big fan of Sam Adam's.

LOL! Agreed. Loose Cannon is my favorite.

The "problem" is the ABV. 7.25% is a tad high, especially since the majority of my beer glasses are pints. ;) I still drink Loose Cannon, but I buy it by the six-pack.

I was pleasantly surprised on Saturday night. We went to Armadillo's,(in Annapolis), and they had Clipper City Beers on tap. Loose Cannon and Winter Storm.

The Hop Devil is fantastic beer and, with an ABV of around 6.7%, it's a little less high octane. If they could put all of the flavor of a Loose Cannon, in a lower ABV beer, I would buy it. The only thing close, IMHO, is Duclaws Brewing Co. Hellrazer or Venom. They're 6.2% & 5.6% respectively.

They're both hoppy,(though not as hopped up as Loose Cannon), I prefer Hellrazer because of the bitterness, and the lower ABV. They also use a different style of hops, that makes the Hellrazer more refreshing.

If you're a hophead, you can't go wrong with any of the above.

you are spot on about the ABV of the loose cannon. you can only have 1 or 2. they used to have it on tap at champions in frederick. i toured the brewery last year. not a bad time.

i tried the duclaws beer thats, i think, 20% ABV last year at the frederick beer fest. couldnt handle more than a sip. i'll have to try the hellrazer.

flying dog IPA and classic pale ale arent bad. the sierra nevada torpedo ale is similar in hoppiness to the loose cannon.

:applause:

I would give it to my wife, but she doesn't drink beer. I really wanted to like that lambic too, but woof I had to gulp down the last 1/4 glass just to say I finished it. I have a 1 per night limit and I was really tempted to break that limit and have a real beer after that stinker.

Haha, I don't blame you man. I would've craved a real beer after that too.

Use them to make beer batter for onion rings, or fish & chips.

With the exception of the Boston Lager, and one of the porters, I'm not a big fan of Sam Adam's.

Not a bad idea. I've never thought of using them for cooking.

I like a few of Sam Adams beers but mainly the Boston Lager and Winter Lager. A lot of people talk about the Octoberfest, but I've never thought it was anything special.

Haha, I don't blame you man. I would've craved a real beer after that too.

Not a bad idea. I've never thought of using them for cooking.

I like a few of Sam Adams beers but mainly the Boston Lager and Winter Lager. A lot of people talk about the Octoberfest, but I've never thought it was anything special.

I've tried the Octoberfest on draft, and in bottles, and thought it tasted like sour Yuengling, but I'm probably not a good judge, as I'm not a fan of any Octoberfest beer.

I'm serious about using it for cooking. I was gifted a sampler, that included some type of fruity beer. (Cherry Wheat?)

I used it to make some kick-ass beer-battered onion rings, zucchini & squash. I used the black lager to cook up some fried catfish and it turned out great!