Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Haha, I don't blame you man. I would've craved a real beer after that too.

Yeah it was my first disappointment with Sam Adams.

Not a bad idea. I've never thought of using them for cooking.

I use the Sam Adams Lite for cooking my brats, 2 bottles with diced onions in a backing dish 5 brats in the oven until they are completely cooked, then I transfer the entire dish to the grill and rotate the brats to the open flame for a few minutes at a time until nice and grilled. They are perfect this way, plus it allows me to honor a Sam Adams beer without actually having to drink a Lite beer.:D

I like a few of Sam Adams beers but mainly the Boston Lager and Winter Lager. A lot of people talk about the Octoberfest, but I've never thought it was anything special.

Reading this was like I wrote it myself.

you are spot on about the ABV of the loose cannon. you can only have 1 or 2. they used to have it on tap at champions in frederick. i toured the brewery last year. not a bad time.

i tried the duclaws beer thats, i think, 20% ABV last year at the frederick beer fest. couldnt handle more than a sip. i'll have to try the hellrazer.

flying dog IPA and classic pale ale arent bad. the sierra nevada torpedo ale is similar in hoppiness to the loose cannon.

:applause:

I love the Torpedo.

The problem, here in MD, is that the minimum order for distributorships is 1000cases and they don't often buy very often. At least that's what the guy at the liquor store told me. If you ever see it, buy it!

In a couple of weeks, we're headed back to Lake Tahoe, CA. They have a huge variety of craft-brewed beer. In fact, the "house" beer on draft at many watering holes is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

I can't wait!!!

I've tried the Octoberfest on draft, and in bottles, and thought it tasted like sour Yuengling, but I'm probably not a good judge, as I'm not a fan of any Octoberfest beer.

I love Octoberfest beer but that's because I like a more malty beer rather than a hoppy one... I cannot stand IPA's they're WAY too bitter for me...

I'm drinking a Pipeline Porter right now. It's brewed by Kona Brewing Co.

It's a limited release porter that contains "100% Hawaiian Kona coffee".

It's pretty thin, as far as porters go, (and don't do porters to often), but it's drinkable If I was in the mood for a real porter, I'd opt for a Samuel Smiths Taddy, or an Anchor.

The Kona is a tad too carbonated, but the coffee flavors work. I won't have any problems finishing this sixer, but I doubt that I'd buy it again.

During the games, I'll switch between Loose Cannon and Snake Dog.

For all you IPA fans out there I suggest getting a hold of some Flying Dog Raging *****. Hands down the best IPA I've ever had. It's a more citrus hop than piney/spicy hop.

I'll give that a shot. I'm a big IPA lover and I've tried a few other varieties of Flying Dog that I really like. Their Gonzo Imperial Porter was a really good beer that I haven't seen in a while.

I've been completely hooked on Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale lately, it's the perfect hoppiness for my taste along with the usual spices that can be found in most Winter Lagers.

Very good beer if anyone hasn't tried it yet.

I'll give that a shot. I'm a big IPA lover and I've tried a few other varieties of Flying Dog that I really like. Their Gonzo Imperial Porter was a really good beer that I haven't seen in a while.

I've been completely hooked on Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale lately, it's the perfect hoppiness for my taste along with the usual spices that can be found in most Winter Lagers.

Very good beer if anyone hasn't tried it yet.

I am a huge fan of the Celebration Ale.

I love most of the beers by Flying Dog. If you want a hoppy beer that is pretty strong by them, get Flying Dog Double Dog. It is a little more expensive, but I really enjoyed it.

I am a huge fan of the Celebration Ale.

I love most of the beers by Flying Dog. If you want a hoppy beer that is pretty strong by them, get Flying Dog Double Dog. It is a little more expensive, but I really enjoyed it.

The Double Dog is awesome. I think it's around 10.5% alc. It's also 10 bucks for a 4 pack.

I had Southern Tier's choklat stout (Imperial Chocolate Stout). Tasted like chocolate milk, tbh. Almost too much but I recommend it as it is insanely chocolatey.

now when you guys say it tastes like chocolate milk, do you mean that literally? or is it kind of chocolately but still bitter? :silly:

ive never had a stout before...i normally stick to pilsner.

now when you guys say it tastes like chocolate milk, do you mean that literally? or is it kind of chocolately but still bitter? :silly:

If you drink pilsner you will hardly recognize a stout as beer. Stouts usually have a thicker mouthfeel, and usually don't finish nearly as clean as a pilsner. In a pilsner you notice the hopps (bitterness) and not so much malt, with a stout the primary taste is going to be heavy malts which gives it a rich flavor a lot of people say they taste like chocolate and even Young's Double Chocolate Stout carries the name, but if you drink one thinking you're going to get a mouthful of 2% milk with Hershey's syrup you're going to be in for a surprise. When you taste chocolates it is due to the heaviness of the malts and the method of malt roasting, but it tastes more like a dark rich cacao chocolate and normally it is most pronounced in the after taste.

If you are looking to try some stouts here are a couple that I would recommend.

Young's Double Chocolate

Guinness or Murphy's (very similar, these are classic Irish Ales but are in the stout family)

Left Hand Milk Stout (no milk is actually used)

Sierra Nevada stout (if you like pilsners you will probably like the hopps in this one)

Jefferson Reserve Bourbon Barrel stout

Chicory Stout by Dogfish Head (another hoppy stout but with an interesting spice)

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

I

If you are looking to try some stouts here are a couple that I would recommend.

Young's Double Chocolate

Guinness or Murphy's (very similar, these are classic Irish Ales but are in the stout family)

Left Hand Milk Stout (no milk is actually used)

Sierra Nevada stout (if you like pilsners you will probably like the hopps in this one)

Jefferson Reserve Bourbon Barrel stout

Chicory Stout by Dogfish Head (another hoppy stout but with an interesting spice)

Locally, try Clipper City's Peg Leg Stout.

It's brewed near Baltimore and it's very good.

Just had me one of these:

There's a shelf at the beer store with "Luxury Beer" (that's how Young's describes it's Double Chocolate Stout. It made me feel like a total snob to buy a bottle for over 5 bucks, but I kept hearing great things about this beer. There were a few bigass Dogfish Head beers. They looked cool but were about 14 bucks. All of them had a description written on them that was to the effect of "this is the original recipe of beer, made by cavemen." I scanned that shelf about 10 times back and forth until I settled for the Young's.

First of all, the smell is nothing like the taste. In fact I barely smelled anything. And it's actually quite easy to describe the taste of this beer. Perhaps I'm not good at "detecting taste notes" but this mother****er straight up tasted like chocolate pudding. The first thing I thought of was Bill Cosby. I mean it was frighteningly reminiscent of having a chocolate milk. This isn't one of those stouts that will make people squint after taking a sip. This should be something you get for dessert at Cheesecake Factory.

I enjoyed it, but it's so chocolaty that I could have put a shot of bourbon in a milkshake and been just as satisfied.

I don't mind paying a lot for a real good beer. Good wine costs a lot too. Plus, I like supporting craft beer, ie: the money is going to a good cause:cheers:

I just started to drink stouts. Had this awesome nectar last week.

IMG_2841.jpg

Abyss by Dechuttes was great as well.

Speaking of Dogfish Head. Don't bother with the World Wide Stout unless you really love Barely Wines as well as stouts.

Quote:

I like a few of Sam Adams beers but mainly the Boston Lager and Winter Lager. A lot of people talk about the Octoberfest, but I've never thought it was anything special.

Reading this was like I wrote it myself.

Same here. You guys must have great taste too.

Edited by Sebowski

yeah it obviously not literally chocolate milk but as far as beer is concerned it is chocolate milk (relatively speaking). Someone else mentioned Youngs Double Chocolate stout that is a very good one as well (not quite as chocolae as the Southern Tier).

Ah I love the Old Rasputin good call I need to find some and soon.

Edited by Warpath11

My buddy who is in the Army and goes to Africa very often to study Monkey Pox or whatever, drinks a local Congolese beer called "Doppel". Its German inspired beer but can't find it ANYWHERE. I mean he has been trying for years. He has been stationed in Europe and can't find it. He says its AWESOME!

Personally, my current beer in rotation is Modello, I love it. I was drinking a lot of Sam Adams Winter Lager - VERY good!

My buddy who is in the Army and goes to Africa very often to study Monkey Pox or whatever, drinks a local Congolese beer called "Doppel". Its German inspired beer but can't find it ANYWHERE. I mean he has been trying for years. He has been stationed in Europe and can't find it. He says its AWESOME!
If you can't find it at the Brickskeller, I doubt it's existence.

http://www.lovethebeer.com/beer-list.html

Truthfully the Brickskeller used to order any beer they did not have.

I have been on a Trappist Ale run. Chimay being my preference. Dry with a sweet finish. Don't pay $17 a bottle for it at some places, you can usually find it and a great many others for $11-12 at Rodman's. Just a plug for Rodman's, for those near NW or in MD, incredible selection at rock bottom prices.

If you can't find it at the Brickskeller, I doubt it's existence.

http://www.lovethebeer.com/beer-list.html

Truthfully the Brickskeller used to order any beer they did not have.

I have been on a Trappist Ale run. Chimay being my preference. Dry with a sweet finish. Don't pay $17 a bottle for it at some places, you can usually find it and a great many others for $11-12 at Rodman's. Just a plug for Rodman's, for those near NW or in MD, incredible selection at rock bottom prices.

I have been to the Brickskeller. Who hasn't that lives in the area?

They don't have it.