Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Bought a six pack of this from New Belgium:

By the way, it's stunning to me how quickly New Belgium Brewing Company has saturated the Middle Atlantic. Fat Tire came first and soon was seemingly on every grocery shelf in the DC area. Now a bunch of their brews are on the shelves. They've done an amazing marketing job. They seem to be vying with Samuel Adams for shelf space in Giant, Harris Teeter, etc. around here.

Not that I'm complaining. Not by a long shot. Everything I've had from them - Fat Tire, Shift, Ranger IPA, and now Red Hoptober, has been really good.

Went on my first hunt for Fall beers this afternoon, after about 15 minutes in the store I settled on a 6 pack of Red Hoptober. I agree that New Belgium is awesome. I couldn't help but rate the Ranger IPA extremely high, it's one of the best IPAs I've had. Also bought a single bottle of Flying Dog Backyard Ale, which is a smoked brew. :)

Note to everyone: Expect the Southern Tier Pumking to hit all stores at once. The store owners around here always sigh and say "it's coming" when I bring it up because they're probably asked a lot. Last year at the closest store to me they had 5 shelf spaces completely stocked with it, I wanted to cry.

at the Capital Ale House in Harrisonburg. This is brewed by the Blue Mountain Brewery out of Afton, Virginia, started by the former master brewer from Chicago's Goose Island brewery.

I wish I had doublestrokeroll's ability to describe this wonderful beer. Hints of chocolate and orange (they use orange peel in the fermenting process), smooth, 6% ABV... in a word, delicious. Frankly, I had not heard of Blue Mountain Brewery, but I'll be looking out for their brews from now on.

And I would highly recommend Capital Ale House to anybody who finds themself in H-burg. (There are a couple of locations in VA besides Harrisonburg.) This view of the bar's beer taps is literally a beer lover's wet dream:

Thanks for the compliment! I sit here and go through each probable characteristic that the style of beer could have, and gauge where all of them are set at. That beer you posted looks amazing. I think there's a legitimate coloration between how rocky a stout's head is, and how awesome the flavor is.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

got a sixer of this http://www.portcitybrewing.com/beer/monumental-ipa/

made in alexandria, va. i have to say, while it only got an average rating on beer advocate, it might be one of my top 5 IPAs. as popular as dogfish is, i think its clearly better that it. not as good as my go to sierra nevada torpedo or my loose cannon, but really much better than many IPAs i've tried.

speaking of sierra nevada, my local beer store has finally started carrying a better variety of beers. today, they had this http://www.sierrabeercamp.com/#/please-verify-your-age

my 12 pack included an oatmeal stout (9%abv), a floral IPA, and imperial pilsner and an imperal red ale. just had the stout. very good stuff.

What beers have you had from them? And where in NoVA can you buy it retail? I'm looking to buy some of that Isabel Porter.

I've had tons, they're located about 5 minutes from where I grew up so we've been big supporters since they opened. Give me a second, I'll get you a list of their nova retailers.

Edit- here ya go http://www.bluemountainbrewery.com/our-beer/where-can-i-find-blue-mountain-beer/

I usually get mine at whole foods in fairfax

Edit x2- I haven't had the Isabel porter but can't wait to try it.

Edited by skinsfan_1215

I've had a beer twice in the last couple of days at different places. It's a collaboration between DC Brau and Bluejacket brewery (both in DC) called "Embers of the Deceased." It's a smoked beer. Never had anything like it, it's made with smoked malt and tastes very smoky but good. Aside from the creepy name, the beer was delicious. I found it at Church Key and at Rustico.

I've had tons, they're located about 5 minutes from where I grew up so we've been big supporters since they opened. Give me a second, I'll get you a list of their nova retailers.

Edit- here ya go http://www.bluemountainbrewery.com/our-beer/where-can-i-find-blue-mountain-beer/

I usually get mine at whole foods in fairfax

Edit x2- I haven't had the Isabel porter but can't wait to try it.

Great, thanks...

Edited by Dan T.

Flying Dog Backyard Ale

cee449e92d31648d7c5c058036be3d80_320x320.jpg

Quite a hazy brew. Getting feint caramel on the nose, some fruit, but very low aroma profile. Flavor is a big, strong blast of caramel over a pretty light body. A flux of bitter smoke hits a second or two after the sip. Getting a big time dark fruit complex, as well as a fair amount of pine/citrus hops. Flavor is worlds stronger than the aroma. The last few Flying Dog beers I've had have been disappointing, this is not. One of the best in their library.

Yes! Velvet Glove was my favorite beer of theirs that I tried. I also liked Dubblefisted and Uprising.

We also went to this brewing company, which was more of a restaurant called Backstreet Brewery in Vista. That's where I tried the Ballast Point which I really liked.

Also tried Firestone DBA at a restaurant in Solana Beach which I thought was really good. I'm not sure if they are local?

I didn't get a chance to go out to Escondido to Stone and we nearly went to Lost Abbey in San Marcos.

There is this really cool "Port and Pizza" place in Carlsbad that we went to. Next to the restaurant is a store with a ton of bottled beer selections. You can buy the beer by the bottle and then walk out back and drink them there. Or you can buy them and take them home. I thought that was really cool since I haven't seen anything like that here in VA

Firestone Walker is in Paso Robles. North of LA. DBA is a great beer though as is almost anything else they brew. You should be able to find their stuff in DMV.

That little bottle shop you mentioned is really cool. The Carslbad Pizza Port is one of the most award winning brewpubs in the country. They also run festivals in that back area. Always good times.

"Pizza Port" is a local treasure. Great business and great story. A brother and sister wanted to open a pizza shop that made their own beer. They hired a guy to be brewmaster and opened Pizza Port in Solana Beach (North County San Diego). :time-lapse: Some guy who just started a brewery comes in their little pace with a sample beer and asks if they'd serve his little brewery's beers. They like the beer and decide to be the first place to put Stone Pale Ale on tap. :time-lapse: Pizza Port really starts taking off. They open another couple locations and decide they can branch a brewery operation off from the brewpub business.

Meanwhile across town....

Stone has gotten so big they need a bigger brewhouse, so they sell their small one to the Pizza Port people. The Port people give the keys to their first brewmaster, Tomme Aurther, and Port/LostAbbey is born. Port/Lost Abbey is now run as a separate business than the Pizza Port locations which each have their own brewmaster and are draft only brew pubs (for now. Plans are in the works to start canning Pizza Port beers).

On a side note, the newest Pizza Port is two years old and a few blocks from me and you can find me there 3+ times a week.

Got a bottle of Gordon Biersch Marzen (Octoberfest) to test out, will be my first taste of a Gordon Biersch brew.

3749293699_895a26a064.jpg

Aroma is literally skunky, ew. First time I've said that about an aroma. Flavor on the other hand... I like this beer alot. Body is big for the style. Flavor pierces with caramel, roasted malt, nuts, yeast and a touch of hops in there. Highly sweet and fairly bitter. Didn't expect it to be this good.

Okay, so the actual restaurant is called Pizza Port, but what is the bottle shop right next to it that I went to? Whats the name of the bottle shop and is it owned and operated as an extension of the Pizza Port?

I just always hear it called "Pizza Port Bottleshop" or "Carlsbad Bottleshop". Pretty sure Pizza Port owns it.

still trying to get my hands on some dogtoberfest. hasn't hit the little mart close to my building yet

That's a must for me this time of year as well. Tonight I took out a Dogfish Head Chicory Stout bottled in 2010. Body really filled in man, that's one beer that really benefits from being aged a year or two. When it's fresh, the body just doesn't do it for me. This aged one was pretty darn yummy.

822868-cs_3shot_super.jpg

If you guys like the Chicory or the Indian Brown Ale, try the Palo Santo Marron. It's $15 a four pack, and I'm stingy with my money, but that beer is worth it. One of Dogfish Head's very best beers.

Fat Tire news......

Fat Tire brewer fears smoke-tainted water will make beer undrinkable

FORT COLLINS, Colo. -- The maker of Fat Tire beer says it's using a reserve water supply because the water in northern Colorado's Poudre River is tainted by a wildfire that destroyed hundreds of homes in June.

New Belgium Brewery objected when it was told it will soon have to go back to using water from the river. The company says if that happens, it would kill the flavor in the beer and make it undrinkable.

According to KUSA-TV (http://tinyurl.com/8s5g7oy ), the brewery is working with Fort Collins to continue using the water reserve.

The High Park Fire west of Fort Collins was one of the most destructive in Colorado history. It burned more than 250 homes, killed one person and scorched 136 square miles of mountain terrain.

http://www.mercurynews.com/libations/ci_21434515/fat-tire-brewer-fears-smoke-tainted-water-will

Edited by HogNose

Another common stout that I aged, Guinness Foreign Extra. Trying to make room in my cellar, and these last 3 beers I've posted haven't made the cut. This is around a year past it's "drink by" date.

Aroma is alcohol over top of dark fruit. I mean this thing smells like wine. Uh oh. Literally just a hint of roasted malt. Flavor is a blanket of dusty roasted malt, bigtime coffee and dark chocolate that gives way to a very bitter smoked wood. Finish is long and bitter. Somewhat chalky when you move your tongue around. Dark fruit and very warm alcohol reveal themselves only long after the finish, fascinating. With a little age, this turned in to an extremely bitter stout.

guinness-foreign-extra-stout-21354331.jpg

Forget the Fat Tire, are New Belgium's really good beers going to be affected?

Actually, I had the New Belgium 1554 last night, it's mediocre. Mostly caramel malt and dark fruit, touches of chocolate and coffee beans. Lighter body, quite a bit of carbo.

I had some on draft the other night and I think "mediocre" is giving this stuff too much credit. Maybe my expectations were too high?

On another subject. I notice that you cellar a lot of beers, even beers that the brewers never intended people to age.

I'm with you and understand that many beers improve with age.

You really seem to like most of the aged beers. How about the flip side?

I can't believe that every beer that you cellared benefited from aging. C'mon str0ker0ll, give us the scoop on the stuff that you aged, and ended up using as slug bait!