Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Had my 4 year old Flying Dog Raging ****. Absolutely incredible. I don't even want it fresh anymore, gotta age a 6 pack now. My DFH Midas Touch turns 4 in a few weeks.

A new version of The **** comes out tomorrow, i'm assuming it is Oaked or Bourbon Barreled, just my guess.

I know this is a beer thread, but is anyone here a fan of hard ciders? As someone who is beer limited (no gluten), I've found them to a be a decent fall back. 

Was wondering if anyone had tried Woodchuck's Farmhouse Select hard cider? I saw it at the store (looking at the gluten free beers) and was wondering if it was too pricey for its taste (the store had it at $11.99!!!!). 

farmhouse+select.jpg

Edited by The Evil Genius

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a beer thread, but is anyone here a fan of hard ciders? As someone who is beer limited (no gluten), I've found them to a be a decent fall back. 

Was wondering if anyone had tried Woodchuck's Farmhouse Select hard cider? I saw it at the store (looking at the gluten free beers) and was wondering if it was too pricey for its taste (the store had it at $11.99!!!!). 

I do like Crispin's original Cider.  No pun intended, haha, but it IS crisp and refreshing.

crispin_R3759.jpg

As for beer, I've most recently had Heavy Seas Riptide, a Belgian style white IPA - pretty good!

Riptide-123x470.png

Okay I love Lagunitas so when I saw Hop Stoopid in the store I had to buy it.

Has anyone else had this beer?? Its 102 IBU so I was expecting an overwhelming amount of pine and citrus bitterness with this brew.

When I took my first sip I couldn't get over how well balanced it was for a beer with this IBU rating. The malts and touch of honey really balanced this beer out and it quikly became my favorite lagunitas brew next to "Sucks".

The only problem I could find with the beer is that it only comes in bombers and is not sold in six packs. Highly recommend this one!

111022-HopStoopid-SR-MVBLFeast-011-31.jp

Edited by Skinz4Life12

Okay I love Lagunitas so when I saw Hop Stoopid in the store I had to buy it.

Has anyone else had this beer?? Its 102 IBU so I was expecting an overwhelming amount of pine and citrus bitterness with this brew.

When I took my first sip I couldn't get over how well balanced it was for a beer with this IBU rating. The malts and touch of honey really balanced this beer out and it quikly became my favorite lagunitas brew next to "Sucks".

The only problem I could find with the beer is that it only comes in bombers and is not sold in six packs. Highly recommend this one!

Hop Stoopid is a great DIPA.  I think it's the most similar to Heady Topper of all the beers I've tasted.  It lacks the peachy aroma that Heady gets from the yeast, but the color, nutty/biscuity malt flavor, and hop profile are all very similar.

I recently had a 6 pack of Lagunitas Little Sumpin.  Very nice and refreshing on a summer day.

Got a bottle of both of these chillin' in the fridge:

espresso-imperial-russian-stout.jpgsmoked-porter1.jpg

I think I will save the Espresso IRS for tomorrow night since I start a new job in the morning, haha.

Also have a bottle of American River Brewing's Coloma Brown...so good.

Wow. Guys, if you are into Stouts, I am telling you right now, go find Stone's Espresso Imperial Russian Stout. It is AMAZING. It is a 2013 brew too, so that probably means whatever your local shop has, once they are out, that's it for the year.....my first nominee for the Beerfest "Beer Goooooood" clip....Stone's Espresso Imperial Russian Stout:

Nice on that Stone Espresso guys. It's on my hit list now. If you want a much cheaper option, the Dominion Old Glory Espresso Stout is 9 bucks a 6 pack. Very underrated brewery, the Espresso Stout is wonderful. I've had the regular Stone Imperial Ruskie several times. It's a little overrated to me, I dunno. Not a big fan of Stone in general. Still try to sample all their stuff.

Wow. Guys, if you are into Stouts, I am telling you right now, go find Stone's Espresso Imperial Russian Stout. It is AMAZING. It is a 2013 brew too, so that probably means whatever your local shop has, once they are out, that's it for the year.....my first nominee for the Beerfest "Beer Goooooood" clip....Stone's Espresso Imperial Russian Stout:

Awesome - great feedback to hear!  I have one these waiting for me too.  Will def crack it open soon!  Yeah, it is one of Stone's limited releases for the year.  So, get it while you can. 

double - I will have to try that.  I haven't had Dominion's Old Glory Espresso before.  But will def have to check it out.

Dominion is one of those breweries who are bafflingly underpriced. The Hop Mountain pale ale is freakin' amazing, the Oak Barrel stout is a very high ranked beer. Still under 10 dollars a 6er. Reminds me of Sierra Nevada. Somehow their common beers are under 10 bucks a 6 pack. Hoptimum is on the expensive side, but it's phenomenal and could be priced much higher.

There are several expensive stouts I'd pick the Dominion Morning Glory over. Stuff's the bomb.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, going to a trivia night every other Monday or so at a bar that stocks a decent selection of bottled beer.  Here's their list after I've removed everything I saw that's either not worth buying, or that I've had often enough that I don't care to pay for it right now.  (Heavy Seas, for example, is always awesome, but if I want some of their stuff I'll buy a sixer in a liquor store, not one bottle at a bar.)

So two questions:

If I could only have two or three of these a week (so probably around a dozen total by the end of the summer), which ones would be at the top of your list?

Are there any on here that I missed in my original cut that I should toss out as unworthy of consideration?

Abita Purple Haze
Abita Amber Ale
Abita Turbo Dog
Arrogant ****
Bittburger German Pils
Boddingtons
Brooklyn Black Choc Stout
Dead Guy Ale
Evolution Exile ESB
Evolution Primal Ale
Flying Dog Doggie Style
Flying Dog Double Dog
Flying Dog Raging ****
Flying Dog Tire Bite
Fuller ESB
Goose Island 312
Harpoon IPA
Hoegaarden
Kona Longboard Lager
Pacifico
Paulaner Hefeweizen
Sam Smith Taddy Porter
Sixpoint Righteous Rye
Skull Splitter
Smutty Nose IPA
Stoudts Scarlet Lady ESB
Troegenator
Victory Golden Monkey
Victory Hop Devil
Victory Storm King Stout
Yards Brawler

Agreed, Leinies gets a bad rap. Simple beers, fun to drink. I've bought two 12 packs of Summer Shandy already this year. The Sunset Wheat is their best common beer, tastes exactly like Fruity Pebbles cereal --- exactly like.

Just realized my 2 Dogfish Head Midas Touches in the cellar turned 4 damn years old last week. Got a 4 pack of it and drank 'em all without comparing to an aged, so now I have to get another pack. $13! Ain't cheap! Overpriced, TBH...but sentimental value for me is high. One of the first high level beers I ever had. At 2 years aged it was amazing, at 3 it regressed a bit.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I had Left Hand's Milk Stout the other night.  Was really richly malty, went awesome with dessert.

Not picking on your taste, but that is probably the worst milk stout that I have ever had.  I hated it, and I love milk stouts, well, stouts in general.

My favorite milk stout was at a beer fest a couple of years ago in Nashville.  I cannot remember the name for the life of me, I wish I could.  2nd is Straight to Ale's Lilly Flagg.  A fantastic milk stout if you get it on tap.  I really do not like it in the can.