Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Hell, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is an amazing session brew. Their Imperial Pilsner is a beast.

Samuel Adams put out

20120515_130153-300x225.jpg

a 12 pack of various IPAs, a few of which I've never seen before. The Grumpy Monk is a Belgian style IPA, the Whitewater IPA is wheat-based, and the Tasman Red had a beautiful color that reminded me a little bit of Pete's Wicked.

2012-05-09-15.19.57-e1336591610865.jpg

This bundle of IPAs was the perfect fridge filler for a weekend of grilling. There's a special place in my heart for Samuel Adams. They introduced me to what beer could be back in the day, they continue to try out all kinds of recipes, and most of them are winners.

Samuel Adams put out

a 12 pack of various IPAs, a few of which I've never seen before. The Grumpy Monk is a Belgian style IPA, the Whitewater IPA is wheat-based, and the Tasman Red had a beautiful color that reminded me a little bit of Pete's Wicked.

This bundle of IPAs was the perfect fridge filler for a weekend of grilling. There's a special place in my heart for Samuel Adams. They introduced me to what beer could be back in the day, they continue to try out all kinds of recipes, and most of them are winners.

I'll be looking for this over the weekend. I've had the Whitewater and Latitude IPAs and enjoyed them both. Can't wait to sample the others.

You know what I need to start taking more advantage of? The fact that Sierra Nevada is cheap around here. A California beer that's cheap in Maryland. Their common stuff is still under $10 a six pack, while Sam Adams and other breweries not matching the standard of Sierra Nevada still sell their beer for more money. I look at Heavy Seas Loose Cannon, a beer brewed in my own state, and I love that beer (well the old recipe), but it's literally $2 more than the Torpedo IPA. I'm baffled that I pass on this deal all the time.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

The Torpedo is $8.99 around here, (Glen Burnie, MD), but I believe that the Sierra Nevada is cheaper because they have a much bigger brewing capacity and production. If you've ever been to the Heavy Seas brewery, which is currently expanding, you'd see that it's a relatively small operation.

Had Heineken on tap last weekend across the street from the brewery. Almost justified the trip to Amsterdam in itself. I'll never be able to buy the Heineken swill we wind up with here again...over there it was nectar and went down a little too easy. The beer in Germany just kicks any beers ass here so badly that it's a real shame. I've never tasted pilsners so good and every region had their own so it was easy to taste a fairly wide sampling. I'm proud to say the town from which my families name was derived had one of the tastiest out there - Palmbrau is some good ****.

I gotta agree to disagree here. I've had brewery fresh Heineken on draft, in Europe, as well as Becks and have been all over southern Germany. Brewery fresh beer on draft is always superior to beer in bottles. Heineken is an okay beer. Maybe you liked it so much in Amsterdam, because everything tastes better after hitting one of those "coffee" bars? ;) IBecks,(which no self-respecting German that I know even drinks), is much tastier on draft.

I'll concede that those German pilsners are damn good, (mainly the local ones that you get in those plain brown bottles), but I wholeheartedly disagree that all German beer kicks any beers ass here. It's simply not true. They have many superior pilsners, but American craft brewers produce amazing beers, that stand up, and kick the ass of, many beers, in any countries.

I'm willing to bet that you would be very surprised, if you blind taste-tested American beers against German beers.

I get that there are a lot of craft beers around the US that make equally good beer but you can't count on finding it everwhere you go.

I'm surprised that my acknowledging that the Germans make good beer would arouse such fervent patriotism;). They do IMO, and an individual taste for beer is nothing if not subjective. That Heineken may have been influenced by the atmosphere some but it was scary good. And yes, the coffee bar may have played a part. Second hand of course :ols:

I get that there are a lot of craft beers around the US that make equally good beer but you can't count on finding it everwhere you go.

I'm surprised that my acknowledging that the Germans make good beer would arouse such fervent patriotism;). They do IMO, and an individual taste for beer is nothing if not subjective. That Heineken may have been influenced by the atmosphere some but it was scary good. And yes, the coffee bar may have played a part. Second hand of course :ols:

Agreed!

:pint::cheers:

Samuel Adams Noble Pils

Clear honey color, soapy head is white as snow. Honey and yeast on the aroma changes to all hops in the flavor. Pine resin, grass, some citrus as well. Bitterness is set at a tone where the first two bottles will be enjoyable from a craft standpoint, but the rest are slammable. Solid Pilsner.

Sam-Adams-Noble-Pils.jpg

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

• 2 weeks later...

Today I was craving some bitter stout pretty madly. So I went with a bomber of Guinness Foreign Extra. I'm going to compare it with the very different Sierra Nevada Stout.

The Guinness Foreign Extra is a hoppy stout, with a very smokey, bitter roasted character. A slight chocolate tone in the back. Lively & bitter. Body is fairly light.

guinnessforeign.jpg

The Sierra Nevada Stout is a lot thicker bodied than the Guinness. Milky dark roasted chocolate, coffee beans, caramel, small touch of hops on the end. Just a gigantic stout for not being "Imperial".

2010_Beer_Stout.jpg

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum 2012

Holy moly, this beer is just delicious if you're a hop fan. Hearty whole cone hop flavor, like you're eating them. Backbone of caramel is very complimentary - it's a light caramel compared to something like the DFH 90 Minute IPA. Alcohol is pretty noticeable after the finish, hop bitterness sticks around forever. Imperial IPAs are one of my very favorite styles. This is another upper deck homerun from Sierra Nevada. Watch out Barry Bonds.

6245195302_8f2814224f_z.jpg

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum 2012

Holy moly, this beer is just delicious if you're a hop fan. Hearty whole cone hop flavor, like you're eating them. Backbone of caramel is very complimentary - it's a light caramel compared to something like the DFH 90 Minute IPA. Alcohol is pretty noticeable after the finish, hop bitterness sticks around forever. Imperial IPAs are one of my very favorite styles. This is another upper deck homerun from Sierra Nevada. Watch out Barry Bonds.

Haven't tried it yet, but I'll snag some this weekend. How is the hop flavor, compared to their Harvest Ale? I'm sure that the HOPTIMUM, is hoppier, but does it taste like the same type of hops, but just more of them?

Yesterday, while at Trader Joes, I picked up two beers to try:

magic-hat-elder-betty.jpg

and

Blueberry+Ale+1.JPG

Have not tried them yet, and haven't been in the mood for fruity beers for a while. I love brown ales, they are my number one favorite. But maybe since it is summer I want something a little less heavy, and these looked good. I love a good blueberry beer- one of my favorites is Sea Dog brewery's blueberry beer.

FYI, this blueberry beer is NOT good, it is disgustingly sweet (and I like sweeter, maltier beers):

wild-blue-blueberry-lager.jpg

Haven't tried it yet, but I'll snag some this weekend. How is the hop flavor, compared to their Harvest Ale? I'm sure that the HOPTIMUM, is hoppier, but does it taste like the same type of hops, but just more of them?

I tell ya, I hate to make repeat purchases too often, but thinking about the hops from the Hoptimum is making me crave it again. The last Southern Hemisphere Harvest I had was from 2010 so I couldn't tell ya the differences in particular hop flavors. All I remember is with that beer they rush the hops to the brewery and immediately add them to maximize freshness. It's more of an especially refreshing wave of hops every sip, as opposed to a monstrous flood of hops with caramel.

Unless my taste buds are failing me I would say there is some Simcoe and Chinook hops in that Hoptimum. Im sure SP is adding some of their own proprietary variety in there but I would bet there is quite a bit of Simcoe in that beer. I use Simcoe in many of my homebrews so I know I can pick it out of beers that have it.

My wife bought some of that Wild Blue not too long ago and it was definitely gross. I remember it was actually purplish-blue, it was like drinking Kool Aid with alcohol.

To this day the Wild Blue is my most regretful beer purchase ever. You nailed it.

Today I have a 4 pack of Boddington's Pub Ale, a bomber of Leffe Blonde, and a leftover Sierra Nevada Stout.

Yesterday, while at Trader Joes, I picked up two beers to try:

I got some Elder Betty from Magic Hat for my girl last night. Ended up drinking 3 of them myself. I've had some truly lame beer from Magic Hat, but it was a solid balance between Berry and Wheat flavors. Not bad, but definitely a beer I could finish under a minute without consciously trying.

I got some Elder Betty from Magic Hat for my girl last night. Ended up drinking 3 of them myself. I've had some truly lame beer from Magic Hat, but it was a solid balance between Berry and Wheat flavors. Not bad, but definitely a beer I could finish under a minute without consciously trying.

That sounds good- I will try it tonight. Trader Joe's has a couple of bottles that you can buy in singles, so it only cost me a buck 25. Great way to try beers out without buying a whole 6-pack.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 10:51 AM ----------

ps anybody going to the nova brewfest tomorrow? (or sunday)?

Downed a six pack of Flying Dog Old Scratch Amber Lager last night. Always had my eye on this beer, but it turned out to be weird. First of all, Flying Dog, we know you have disgusting artwork already, but this bottle was hard to look at. A couple of putrid looking fleas high off of dog skin, real appetizing. The flavor was malty with adjunct grains and ****. I was severely disappointed in the lack of virtually any hops. This is one of the few times I think a beer has TOO big of a body. Just all sorts of **** wrong with this beer, but it is a beer, after all. Can't complain too much, but I'd rather have Yuengling than this, which is the most cookie cuttter of all Amber Lagers.

Flying+Dog+Old+Scratch+Amber+Lager.jpg

ps anybody going to the nova brewfest tomorrow? (or sunday)?

I went with some friends on Sunday. It was really good and got to try alot of brews that were new to me. Some standouts for me:

Holy Brew, Liquid Confessions

Holy Brew Brown Ale -- This was a really good Belgian style brown ale

http://holybrew.com/beverages.html

Devils Backbone

Congo Ale - This was a really good seasonal Belgian ale

http://www.dbbrewingcompany.com/default.aspx

Bells Brewery

Special Double Cream Stout - Excellent stout! Smooth, clean creamy taste. Clean finish.

http://www.bellsbeer.com/brands/#Seasonal-5

I also liked Mad Fox's summer seasonal, Port City's summer seasonal, and Kona's Koko Brown Ale.

Good times.

My fridge currently contains:

Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA

IMG00245-20101230-2201.jpg

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum

sahop.jpg

Blue Mountain Brewery Dark Hollow

Blue_Mountain_Dark_Hollow_Artisanal_Ale.jpg

Dark Hollow is a really tasty oak bourbon barrel aged Imperial Stout. Distribution just reached NOVA in the past week for the first time; I picked mine up at Whole Foods in Fair Lakes.

I took some craft beer to my dad's birthday party over the weekend and everybody had to drink those beers first. Problem is that he bought three 30 packs for the party, and everyone else brought 30 packs and 12 packs. He has 131 beers left over, and has told me to find a way to get rid of them. :ols: Going to have a ton of beer ponging to get through.