Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Suds With Securb: Ten Beers You Must Drink This Summer

June 21st, 2009

by Bruce Owens

I want you all to look at this column as a summer reading list. These are the 10 beers you must drink this summer. Some of these beers you are probably very familiar with, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for example. Think back when is the last time you had an ice cold Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on a 90 degree day? This is all about rediscovering some classics and finding new favorites.

There are a ton of other great beers out there to beat the heat. Alaskan Summer Ale and Yuengling Lager come to mind. That being said I am trying to make sure these beers have a wider distribution so that all reading this column can enjoy.

10. Victory Prima Pils – The perfect BBQ beer. This beer has the body and flowery aroma of a pilsner but is one of the hoppiest pilsners on the market. This allows Prima Pils to stand up to the spiciness of peppery BBQ’ed meat coming off of your grill. Prima Pils also has a great sparkling carbonation that not only is refreshing but will cleanse the pallete of thick BBQ sauces and pasta/potato salads.

9. Landshark Lager – I first had this refreshing Lager on a 105 degree day in Las Vegas. This is a perfect summer session beer. This larger is crisp, clean and satisfying and is a perfect beer to ice down by the six-pack in a bucket. The perfect cooler companion.

8. Saison Dupont Farmhouse Ale- Perfect for those scorching August nights. This beer is very dry and crisp with a lot of characteristics of a Sauvignon Blanc. During those moonlit summer nights this is the beer to be shared with someone special. Dupont’s caged, corked finished bottle will add a little class to your special evening.

7. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale – You can go home again. Admit it this is the beer that started you off on your journey into the world of microbrews. Now that you have trained and sharpened your palette this is the perfect time to rediscover this classic.

6. Pabst Blue Ribbon – I have a cold can of PBR in my hand right now as I write this. This 2006 Great American Beer Festival Gold Medal winner is so under rated. Not only is this a hoppy American style lager it is inexpensive. At $15 dollars per 30 pack it is a perfect beer to fill you cooler to the brim. Available in 12 ounce cans it is an awesome companion for the golf course or beach.

5. Sam Adams Summer Ale – This is a great American style wheat beer. What makes this beer stand out among the throng of American Wheat Beers is grains of paradise, a rare pepper from Africa. The lemon zest makes this beer a no brainer to pair with grilled lemon pepper chicken or shrimp on the barbie.

4. Ommegang Witte Ale – This is a light Belgian style wheat beer with tart citrus flavors and a touch of coriander. This beer is best paired with a fresh citrus fruit salad. Throw some chilled grapefruit, orange and tangerine in a bowl with some mandarin oranges now you have the perfect companion for this great beer.

3. Harpoon Summer – The classic Kolsch Ale. It has the body and color of a pilsner, with the fruit esters of ale. I call this beer the crowd pleaser. It is light enough to appeal to American Lager drinkers and has more than enough flavor to satisfy any beer geek or even snob. Harppon summer is also great with all of your outdoor fare. Harpoon Summer matches up just as well with a New England Clambake as it does with burgers and dogs.

2. Stone Cali-Belgique IPA – What can I say, Stone does it again. This is a huge American IPA with Belgian yeast. When I say huge I want you to understand this beer is coming at you at 77 IBU’s. Cali-Belgique is not only the hoppiest of our summer drinking list it is the strongest. This beer is weighing in at 6.9%, not quite an IIPA but with the IBUs an alcohol by volume Stone Brewing Co. could have given this beer that moniker. The spiciness of the Belgium yeast playing off of the Chinook hops makes this a very interesting summer sipper.

1. Erdinger Weissbier – This is a classic German style wheat beer. This is a cloudy beer due to the fact it is unfiltered and bottle conditioned. Banana and spice aromas are obvious in the aroma of this beer along with a touch of grass and lemon. Traditionally this style of beer is served with a lemon slice. Ignore the status quo and go with an orange slice or a wedge of grapefruit. Better yet cut up a bowl of mixed fresh melons. Some cantaloupe, honeydew and watermelon mixed in a bowl with a bit of pineapple are the perfect back deck companion for this great brew.

Hey QB, just got Sam Adams Cream Stout. This stuff is really good. Like it much better than Guinness Draught. Perhaps a little too much vanilla flavor than I'd like, but it's definitely got that bitter black coffee taste that I just love.

After drinking Dogfish Head Chicory and this cream stout it's hard to even drink Guinness. It seems so flat and watered down.

44-Sam-Adams.jpg

:cheers:

guinness.jpg

:pint:

Those are my 2 favorites also Guinness being first & Samuel Adams Boston Lager being second but a very close second. When I'm partying outside during the hot summer months I usually drink Samuel Adams White Ale. I also love a good black & tan but not the stuff you buy in the grocery store, but a real black & tan from the tap. I of course love any beer anybody offers me out of their cooler or fridge as long as it is cold. I love all my beer cold. Of course after reading all the post there are alot of beers I need to try.

Edited by Enzo

Hey QB, just got Sam Adams Cream Stout. This stuff is really good. Like it much better than Guinness Draught. Perhaps a little too much vanilla flavor than I'd like, but it's definitely got that bitter black coffee taste that I just love.

After drinking Dogfish Head Chicory and this cream stout it's hard to even drink Guinness. It seems so flat and watered down.

It's crazy how that happens isn't it? I guess it's just how a person's personal beer tasting evolution works. I remember when I thought Guinness was the heaviest most gut-busting beer on the market. Then I got a taste of some other stouts and realized what I'd been missing. If you look at the calorie content of Guinness Draught, there's only 125 calories in a 12 oz bottle!

Now that might be good for someone who wants to watch their waistline and likes to hammer beers, but if you're just drinking a few quality beers for taste, Guinness draught falls behind these days.

I will say that Guinness Stout is of better quality than Guinness draught though.

:hysterical:

What's next, Bud Ice?

:laugh:

Jesus, I wouldn't be surprised!

Those are my 2 favorites also Guinness being first & Samuel Adams Boston Lager being second but a very close second. When I'm partying outside during the hot summer months I usually drink Samuel Adams White Ale. I also love a good black & tan but not the stuff you buy in the grocery store, but a real black & tan from the tap. I of course love any beer anybody offers me out of their cooler or fridge as long as it is cold. I love all my beer cold. Of course after reading all the post there are alot of beers I need to try.

I definitely agree with you man. Sam Adams Boston Lager is one of my all-time favorites year-round. I still like a good Guinness, but like I was saying above, it doesn't taste as heavy to me after trying some of the other stouts on the market.

If you want a good summer variation of a Black & Tan, try an "Eclipse." It's Guinness and Blue Moon. Most bartenders will know exactly what it is and it's a good switch.

Cream Stout is awesome. My personal favorite beer is a vanilla porter made by a small brewery in Brekenridge, CO.

http://www.breckbrew.com/beer/vanillaporter.html

It's not for everyone, but I highly recommend you find it. There is a beer store in Alexandria that sells specialty beers, but I can't remember what it is called.

Breckenridge%20Vanilla%20Porter.jpg

just had fire rock on tap for the first time at a place by my work (if anyone knows fed triangle, Arias), and it was amazing. Might be my favorite beer now.

That night, I went to total wine and beverage near my house and of course, they had five different brews from the kona (sp.?) brewing company.

TWAB might be my new favorite store now. Their selection of alcohol is unmatched by anything I have seen in this area. My favorite part, is the fact that out of all the beer types they have there, you can make a special pack, and get a sixer of very unique beers (they easily had over 200 different types). Not to mention their prices were A LOT cheaper than anything I have seen elsewhere. The six pack of fire rock that I got was 2 dollars cheaper than the previous time I got it.

Edited by skinsngibbs4life

Cream Stout is awesome. My personal favorite beer is a vanilla porter made by a small brewery in Brekenridge, CO.

http://www.breckbrew.com/beer/vanillaporter.html

It's not for everyone, but I highly recommend you find it. There is a beer store in Alexandria that sells specialty beers, but I can't remember what it is called.

I concur, Breckenridge Vanilla Porter is very good. I had tried it at a beer emporium in Dallas about a year ago. It was on tap and was delicious. But I went to a Central Market the next week to buy a six pack, and it tasted pretty bad from the bottle. I don't know if I got a bad batch, or if there really is that much of a difference. But to any first-timers to that beer, I'd recommend finding a place that has it on tap.

I But I went to a Central Market the next week to buy a six pack, and it tasted pretty bad from the bottle. I don't know if I got a bad batch, or if there really is that much of a difference. But to any first-timers to that beer, I'd recommend finding a place that has it on tap.

That's not you imagination. There is definitely a difference between fresh draft beer, and beer out of a bottle.

Draft beer is the best.

It's even better, when the beer is dispensed out of this: (please ignore the Budweiser sign....only microbrews get tapped at my house;))

viewfromtop.jpg

That's not you imagination. There is definitely a difference between fresh draft beer, and beer out of a bottle.

Draft beer is the best.

It's even better, when the beer is dispensed out of this: (please ignore the Budweiser sign....only microbrews get tapped at my house;))

Draft beer certainly is the best but there shouldn't be such a big difference in taste that it goes from tasting "delicious" out of the tap to "pretty bad" out of the bottle. I'd say it's a better possibility that he got his hands on some skunky beer.

I was really disappointed tonight when I went to the best beer store in town and they didn't have any Sam Adam's Cream Stouts :(. I ended up getting a custom 6 pack that consisted of...

Dogfish Head Burton Baton

Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron

Arrogant ****

Stone Imperial Russian Stout

Sam Adams Imperial White

Sam Adams Double Bock

I've had the Arrogant **** before and enjoyed it. I am particularly looking forward to the Stone Imperial Russian Stout.

Draft beer certainly is the best but there shouldn't be such a big difference in taste that it goes from tasting "delicious" out of the tap to "pretty bad" out of the bottle. I'd say it's a better possibility that he got his hands on some skunky beer.

Agreed.

The correct handling and storage of beer is very important.

Given that many "craft" beers average around $10.00 a six-pack, poor handling and storage is inexcusable.

Fresh beer is best, that's why I insist on a newly filled keg when I buy.

I know it sounds strange, but if you're not drinking the beer out of a glass,(blasphemy!), then at least wipe the rim of the bottle off, to get rid of the skunked residue that was trapped under the cap when it was bottled.

Believe it or not, that makes a big difference.

Agreed.

The correct handling and storage of beer is very important.

Given that many "craft" beers average around $10.00 a six-pack, poor handling and storage is inexcusable.

Yep, I totally agree. If you pay that much money for a good 6-pack of craft beer you shouldn't have to put up with poor taste.

I'm also pretty sure that most stores that specialize in craft/micro brews will let you exchange a 6-pack as long as you bring the empty bottle and other 5 beers back and explain the situation to them.

Fresh beer is best, that's why I insist on a newly filled keg when I buy.

I know it sounds strange, but if you're not drinking the beer out of a glass,(blasphemy!), then at least wipe the rim of the bottle off, to get rid of the skunked residue that was trapped under the cap when it was bottled.

Believe it or not, that makes a big difference.

I've read that before. I've also read that beers that are sold in clear or green bottles have a lot higher chances of ending up "skunky" due to more light making its way through the glass. I see very few of those in the craft beer stores though. It seems like nearly all of the micros/crafts are sold in brown bottles.

Also, do you change what type of beer you have in your keg fridge every time you get a new keg, or do you usually stick with the same stuff?

• 2 weeks later...