Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Cream Stout is awesome. My personal favorite beer is a vanilla porter made by a small brewery in Brekenridge, CO.

http://www.breckbrew.com/beer/vanillaporter.html

It's not for everyone, but I highly recommend you find it. There is a beer store in Alexandria that sells specialty beers, but I can't remember what it is called.

Breckenridge%20Vanilla%20Porter.jpg

So how does one aquire this beer in Florida

• 2 weeks later...

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA...Review.

120minute.jpg

Got two bottles for my birthday tonight. Drank one.

Took a whiff after I opened it and was blown away by how boozy and fruity it was.

Holy ****.

This **** isn't made for taste. It is syrupy. Like a bottle of Wild Irish Rose, it's made to get ya buzzed.

It doesn't taste like a stout, ale or lager. It tastes like maple syrup with a lot of alcohol.

For $10 a bottle, it isn't worth it. However, if you're a beer-bottle collector, it's a "duh" to get.

You'll get drunker and have a better taste in your mouth after a 6 pack of 60 minute IPA or a 4 pack of 90 minute IPA, even after a small bottle of Whisky.

Its best purpose is as a collectors item, IMO.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I don't get any maple syrup taste from the 120. I've always described it has a sledgehammer of hops. It's definitely very boozy, a beer you really want to sip on for a while. My first time I made the mistake of drinking it down too quickly and I was hella buzzed.

I don't get any maple syrup taste from the 120. I've always described it has a sledgehammer of hops. It's definitely very boozy, a beer you really want to sip on for a while. My first time I made the mistake of drinking it down too quickly and I was hella buzzed.

Agreed. I really like extremely hoppy beers so I liked it when I tried it recently.

Anyone familiar with Ommegang?

If you like quality Belgian style ales, I highly recommend these guys. It's a small brewery located in Cooperstown NY. I took a tour of the brewery a few weeks ago and they really make some nice brews. You can order directly from their site, check 'em out.

Agreed I love Three Philosophers...a very good quadrupel

another good producer of the Belgian style (that is not from Belgium) is Unibroue from Canada

http://www.unibroue.com/index_eng.html

Edited by Warpath11

Suds With Securb: Ten Beers You Must Drink This Summer

June 21st, 2009

by Bruce Owens

I want you all to look at this column as a summer reading list. These are the 10 beers you must drink this summer. Some of these beers you are probably very familiar with, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for example. Think back when is the last time you had an ice cold Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on a 90 degree day? This is all about rediscovering some classics and finding new favorites.

There are a ton of other great beers out there to beat the heat. Alaskan Summer Ale and Yuengling Lager come to mind. That being said I am trying to make sure these beers have a wider distribution so that all reading this column can enjoy.

10. Victory Prima Pils – The perfect BBQ beer. This beer has the body and flowery aroma of a pilsner but is one of the hoppiest pilsners on the market. This allows Prima Pils to stand up to the spiciness of peppery BBQ’ed meat coming off of your grill. Prima Pils also has a great sparkling carbonation that not only is refreshing but will cleanse the pallete of thick BBQ sauces and pasta/potato salads.

9. Landshark Lager – I first had this refreshing Lager on a 105 degree day in Las Vegas. This is a perfect summer session beer. This larger is crisp, clean and satisfying and is a perfect beer to ice down by the six-pack in a bucket. The perfect cooler companion.

8. Saison Dupont Farmhouse Ale- Perfect for those scorching August nights. This beer is very dry and crisp with a lot of characteristics of a Sauvignon Blanc. During those moonlit summer nights this is the beer to be shared with someone special. Dupont’s caged, corked finished bottle will add a little class to your special evening.

7. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale – You can go home again. Admit it this is the beer that started you off on your journey into the world of microbrews. Now that you have trained and sharpened your palette this is the perfect time to rediscover this classic.

6. Pabst Blue Ribbon – I have a cold can of PBR in my hand right now as I write this. This 2006 Great American Beer Festival Gold Medal winner is so under rated. Not only is this a hoppy American style lager it is inexpensive. At $15 dollars per 30 pack it is a perfect beer to fill you cooler to the brim. Available in 12 ounce cans it is an awesome companion for the golf course or beach.

5. Sam Adams Summer Ale – This is a great American style wheat beer. What makes this beer stand out among the throng of American Wheat Beers is grains of paradise, a rare pepper from Africa. The lemon zest makes this beer a no brainer to pair with grilled lemon pepper chicken or shrimp on the barbie.

4. Ommegang Witte Ale – This is a light Belgian style wheat beer with tart citrus flavors and a touch of coriander. This beer is best paired with a fresh citrus fruit salad. Throw some chilled grapefruit, orange and tangerine in a bowl with some mandarin oranges now you have the perfect companion for this great beer.

3. Harpoon Summer – The classic Kolsch Ale. It has the body and color of a pilsner, with the fruit esters of ale. I call this beer the crowd pleaser. It is light enough to appeal to American Lager drinkers and has more than enough flavor to satisfy any beer geek or even snob. Harppon summer is also great with all of your outdoor fare. Harpoon Summer matches up just as well with a New England Clambake as it does with burgers and dogs.

2. Stone Cali-Belgique IPA – What can I say, Stone does it again. This is a huge American IPA with Belgian yeast. When I say huge I want you to understand this beer is coming at you at 77 IBU’s. Cali-Belgique is not only the hoppiest of our summer drinking list it is the strongest. This beer is weighing in at 6.9%, not quite an IIPA but with the IBUs an alcohol by volume Stone Brewing Co. could have given this beer that moniker. The spiciness of the Belgium yeast playing off of the Chinook hops makes this a very interesting summer sipper.

1. Erdinger Weissbier – This is a classic German style wheat beer. This is a cloudy beer due to the fact it is unfiltered and bottle conditioned. Banana and spice aromas are obvious in the aroma of this beer along with a touch of grass and lemon. Traditionally this style of beer is served with a lemon slice. Ignore the status quo and go with an orange slice or a wedge of grapefruit. Better yet cut up a bowl of mixed fresh melons. Some cantaloupe, honeydew and watermelon mixed in a bowl with a bit of pineapple are the perfect back deck companion for this great brew.

Is this a beer list? or 10 ways to lose your manhood?

Is this a beer list? or 10 ways to lose your manhood?

I don't think that you would lose your manhood by drinking a few of those beers. Sierra Nevada stands out as one that you won't. PBR is a good college beer. Sam's Summer Ale is pretty good, but not one of my favorite of their beers. I haven't tried a couple of them on that list. Stone Cali-Belgique IPA sounds like it might be good. I am not a fan of beers like Landshark.

Edited by JMURedskins

Sam's Summer Ale is pretty good, but not one of my favorite of their beers.

I'm not sure about the others but Sam's Summer Ale is an easy brew to drink and quite refreshing served cold, but then its a summer ale so its supposed to be right? I actually list Sam's Summer pretty close to Sam's Hefeweizen and Pale Ale, I couldn't tell much difference between them, variations in hoppiness but that was about all I could tell; but I haven't had enough to really discern what's going on uniqely with each of them soo, I guess I'll have to try them again...:pint::2drunks:Yay, what a cool hobby.

The reason men drink beer is because we hate the snootyness of Wine Drinkers, but now Beer has become the new wine for men. Give me an ice cold Bud and thats cool with me.

My mother was a raging alcoholic for years and only drank wine...trust me no snootiness there. ;) I understand what you're saying, and the Bud's etc are still there but with the rise of craft beers there seems to be a move toward experimentation and variation of flavor, plus it opens the door to the historic brews that were virtually unknown to here in the states, then along came Jim Koch with Samuel Adams and opened the door to a whole new world, of microbrewing, home brewing, craft brewing, not to mention the appreciation for the many styles. Personally, I like it because its a whole new world of flavors that I haven't experienced before, and if I'm going to sit back and sip on something in the evening it'll most likely be a Diet Mt. Dew.

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA...Review.

120minute.jpg

Got two bottles for my birthday tonight. Drank one.

For $10 a bottle, it isn't worth it. However, if you're a beer-bottle collector, it's a "duh" to get.

You'll get drunker and have a better taste in your mouth after a 6 pack of 60 minute IPA or a 4 pack of 90 minute IPA, even after a small bottle of Whisky.

Its best purpose is as a collectors item, IMO.

Agreed.

I'm a hop-head and I think it's very, very overrated. The 60 & 90 minute IPA's are much better.

The problem with the 120 minute IPA is that it's a sledghammer of the wrong kind of hops. It's just not that good. It's bitter, but not in a good way. At $10.00 a bottle, it's a rip-off.

If you want a sledgehammer of good hops, try the Clipper City Big DIPA. It's a limited edition bottling. They're sold in 22oz bottles and they cost $5.99.

With an ABV of 10%, it can definitely kick your ass.

If you can't find it, try the Clipper City's Loose Cannon, and IPA with big time hop flavor. Gotta be careful with this one too, as it has an ABV of 7.25%

I'm not sure about the others but Sam's Summer Ale is an easy brew to drink and quite refreshing served cold, but then its a summer ale so its supposed to be right? I actually list Sam's Summer pretty close to Sam's Hefeweizen and Pale Ale, I couldn't tell much difference between them, variations in hoppiness but that was about all I could tell; but I haven't had enough to really discern what's going on uniqely with each of them soo, I guess I'll have to try them again...:pint::2drunks:Yay, what a cool hobby.

Just buy each of them and drink one after the other. I know Sam has variety packs. I believe that the summer pack has all three of those beers.

Edited by JMURedskins

Just buy each of them and drink one after the other. I know Sam has variety packs. I believe that the summer pack has all three of those beers.

One step ahead of ya, I have the remnants of that same variety pack in my fridge from last week's sampling.;)

*edit

and I'm going to sample them close together to see the difference, I know there is more than the hopps just gotta find out what.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

One step ahead of ya, I have the remnants of that same variety pack in my fridge from last week's sampling.;)

*edit

and I'm going to sample them close together to see the difference, I know there is more than the hopps just gotta find out what.

Nice. I love trying new beers and the different takes on the different types of beers. I really didn't start trying new beers until my senior year in college. I stuck with what I knew. I almost always have Budweiser in the fridge now, but I like to branch out a lot more now. I have a bar or 2 that I go to that have huge varieties. I just order something different every time.

Edited by JMURedskins

If you want a sledgehammer of good hops, try the Clipper City Big DIPA. It's a limited edition bottling. They're sold in 22oz bottles and they cost $5.99.

With an ABV of 10%, it can definitely kick your ass.

If you can't find it, try the Clipper City's Loose Cannon, and IPA with big time hop flavor. Gotta be careful with this one too, as it has an ABV of 7.25%

You can also throw in Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA to the list of very hoppy beers that are well balanced with a nice malt bill. It is definetly floral and bitter but not the melt your face amount of hops that, IMO, is not very good.

Made the same mistake as you. Burps taste like 120 IPA today.

Perhaps it's more like strawberry syrup. Will try the second bottle tonight. Would rather take it back and get a 4 pack of 90 minute IPA, but I guess I have to suck it up. Cheers :)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Made the same mistake as you. Burps taste like 120 IPA today.

Perhaps it's more like strawberry syrup. Will try the second bottle tonight. Would rather take it back and get a 4 pack of 90 minute IPA, but I guess I have to suck it up. Cheers :)

You could always cellar it for a while and see if it mellows out a bit.