Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Idiot kicked off Texas football team for anti-Obama comment

Leonard Washington

A player has been cut from the University of Texas' football roster because of remarks he made on his Facebook page about President-elect Barack Obama, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

The newspaper reports that the dismissal of backup center Buck Burnette has been confirmed by a person close to the team. The American-Statesman also says that, according to people who saw Burnette's Facebook page, he updated it shortly after Obama's election was confirmed and wrote that hunters should get their guns.

The page has since been deleted from Facebook, but the American-Statesman says that before it was taken down Burnette wrote an apology that said, "Clearly I was in the wrong for what I did and I apologize for being a sore loser."

Coming out of high school in Texas, the 6-2, 305-pound Burnette was considered one of the state's top prospects among offensive linemen.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2008/11/longhorn-cut-be.html

Allegedly he said, "Shortly after Barack Obama was elected president Tuesday, Burnette wrote on his status that "All the hunters gather up, we have a (slur) in the White House." "http://blogs.chron.com/longhorns/2008/11/post_45.html

Stupid, stupid comments. But cutting the guy is ridiculous. I thought universities were supposed to teach you HOW to think, not WHAT to think.

Aw, who the hell am I kidding?

While I somewhat agree that kicking him off the team is a little extreme, I think this guy probably was an ass and the coaches were just looking for a half way legit reason to boot him.

Stupid, stupid comments. But cutting the guy is ridiculous. I thought universities were supposed to teach you HOW to think, not WHAT to think.

I don't know, it could easily be construed as a threat. He's lucky he isn't being grilled by the secret service.

Maybe instead of looking for outs for these clowns, giving them 'boys will be boys' excuses, maybe teaching them that being accountable for their (inflammatory and potentially illegal) words is a reality in the modern world.

Things have consequences, and a possible veiled threat towards the new president elect is one that definitely does.

~Bang

He wasn't expelled from the school. There's no indication who decided to remove him from the team. But if I'm the coach and a player uses the "n" word in that kind of context, that player is gone so fast your head would spin. As a coach I damn well WILL tell you what to think or you will leave my locker room. Now if the school forced the coach to get rid of him, I'd say the coach is wrong for keeping him and the school is wrong for overriding the coach.

Well, as a player how can you line up next to someone who's a racist. A lot of people have thoughts or feelings like this, but they're smart enough to keep it to themselves. I bet that Mack Brown, UT's coach, was just as concerned about locker room cohesion.What if he had black coaches?

Plus, I think it's great that people do not tolerate racism anymore.

Archived